3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Spring Bears  (Read 381 times)

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
Spring Bears
« on: December 12, 2013, 06:27:00 PM »
I have noticed a number of Bear hunting posts here and I had a couple of questions. I have eaten Fall Bears a few times and found it quite good, am I correct in assuming that a Spring Bear just out of hibernation would not make very good table fare? Secondly if a Bear taken turned out to be rubbed badly enough to be a poor candidate for a rug, is there anything else that can be done with it? I had thought about a "European" Skull Mount. Any other ideas?

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Spring Bears
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 06:32:00 PM »
Spring bears taste wonderful....wivestales have made people think differently. Most guys are trying to kill mature males and fortunately they hold their hides the longest. Not usually issues with rubbing on the size of bears you want to take home.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 07:18:00 PM »
I took a smallish bear in the spring of 2012 just because I had little hunting time...I did not want to spend the money for a rug so I am simply getting the hide tanned which would also work okay for a rubbed bear...I am still playing with the skull leaving it to age naturally...I will eventually clear coat it without any attempt to whiten it (I think white skulls look unnatural)...I will then sort out a way to display it along with the broad head attached to the broken carbon arrow piece I recovered

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 07:21:00 PM »
Spring Bear meat....   :thumbsup:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 07:28:00 PM »
personaly I think it depends how long the have been actively foraging I have tried some spring bears that were great with some fat, and some that were almost sickly looking when skinned, slimy and dehydrated,  just like a spring road kill moose I got. eewww.  I prefer fall bears by far if they are on berries

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 07:38:00 PM »
Spring bears are great eating.  All the bears I've shot have had nice coats as I tend to just watch the ones that look like the back of my head  :)  The skull and lower jaw sit nicely on a shelf or table.  Plus the shoulder blade is a cool trophy as is a leg bone made into a knife...tippit

This one is from a bear that had his paw missing from a snare...

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
No matter what you do - rug, half mount/shoulder mount, full body mount, etc.  The skull will be available for a Euro - the Taxi doesn't use the real skull.  

Bear is the best wild game I have ever eaten but that was a fall bear.  I don't see why a long nap would change that if their diet going into the bed was good?  I have heard heavy fish eaters like Alaskan coastal bears can be less desirable but I have no experience unfortunately.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 03:09:00 PM »
I appreciate the information, I am thinking about northwest Montana so fish would not be a big part of the bear's diet. It is good to hear that most of you found Spring Bears meat good. Thanks again,  Jim

Online Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 03:37:00 PM »
I am fond of spring bear.

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 06:58:00 PM »
Spring brown bear is excellent.  Even the BIG ones we hunt on the peninsula.
It's a given that blackies are good in the spring, just don't have much fat on them.
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »
Our bears don't even hybernate here.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
I have eaten in fine restaraunts all over the world.  Bear pot roast made in the dutch oven is in my top 10 meals of all time.  Take care of it properly and you will be very pleased.

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 12:52:00 PM »
Spring Bear meat is excellent table fare.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 04:07:00 PM »
I have had my share of fantastic fall bear too! Locals in bear territory have never seemed too fond of it when I have asked.

I wouldn't leave it behind though as it can be as good as ribeye when done correctly.

BigJIm
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©