3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Another wool question  (Read 700 times)

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Another wool question
« on: December 12, 2013, 07:05:00 PM »
I am not sure how to describe what I have in mind, so if I get too wordy, please bear with me. One issue I hear with wool (and have encountered myself) is that it does not block wind well enough.

Is it possible to make a double layered garment with an outer layer of very tightly woven wool for enhanced wind blocking and the inner layer with more loosely woven wool for good insulation? What I have in mind is something like Theresa Asbell's or Ron La Clair's garments. Would it work, and, if so, would it be too bulky or costly to be practical?
Sam

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another wool question
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 07:13:00 PM »
Blocking wind is more a function of the tightness of the weave than huge thick material.

I have a wool pullover from Teresa Asbell. Mine is one of the medium weight pullovers & it takes a pretty good wind to penetrate it. I really like it & have asked for a heavier zipper with a hood for Christmas.
   I think you will find the garments by Teresa to be very well made, very wind resistant, & priced so most can afford one. I recommend them highly.
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 07:14:00 PM »
Gray Wolf Woolens, made in Wisconsin.  I have a new coat from them that has tightly woven wool on the outside and a wind stopper middle layer.  They custom sew to your own measurements so it's sure to fit right.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »
Pete nailed it..... I have lots of wool from GWW, Asbell, Columbia, Cabelas, etc, etc.... When it gets bone cold and any wind above 10MPH the Gray Wolf with wind liner comes out and cold no more.......  :readit:  

I love my Asbell wool too but if any wind above 7-10MPH wind will get thru and at that point it is a matter of just how cold is the actual temp.... If it is in the 30-40's I don't mind a little wind getting thru but if 20-30's then cannot take that. I wear my Asbell zip up just about every evening hunt of the year. Evenings it is usually 35-55 degrees and Asbell over wool Ulfrotte' long johns and I am plenty warm and not all weighted down or bulked up. Late season cold evening like today when it is 26 I would wear Ulfrotte' base, then heavy wool sweater or Asbell, then final layer of Gray Wolf vest. In late season that vest just cannot be beat. No wind will get thru, extra long to cover kidneys, DEEP pockets and collar that is taller in rear than front that I flip up on my neck. Pockets are so deep half my forearms are covered while holding my chemical hand warmers. JMHO
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 10:12:00 PM »
I wear mostly KOM and Autumnwood.  Jackets/parkas of both are lined  with windstopper type nylon material.  That stuff slows the wind, but it doesn't stop it.

Wind just pulls out body heat.  Even if it doesn't go through the fabic, the faster the wind, the faster it cools the surface of the material you're wearing.  This, in turn, is colder on the body.

We can do a lot to ameliorate the effects of wind, but when it's very cold, and windy, we're most likely going to end up pretty cold.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
Teresa also makes a liner vest that blocks the wind entirely and keeps your torso warm.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 10:37:00 PM »
Wind won't blow through Filsons
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 11:43:00 PM »
I have a lightweight Windstopper jacket that I wear under my Asbel wool.  It really helps, especially when I wear merino wool under a midweight thermal shirt-3 or 4 light layers.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 12:13:00 AM »
How about classicsportsman. Wool  great stuff.  Any body  have them?
Dan Breen

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 12:57:00 AM »
Wool is tricky in my opinion. It took me a long time to figure it out. Wool outer layers are great. Quiet, dull, and durable. If you are sitting short periods and even doing some moving around like hiking/still hunt, go wool only without wind blocking layer. But for sitting in wind they can be drafty. So, if you are sitting for long periods, wind block layer is a must. Then layer up underneath.  When it's in the OMG it's cold I wear KOM one size larger than I would normally get with wind block layer, down microtherm full long sleeve shirt, 400 wool power, 200 wool power, and Smartwool base layer.  I'm sure any good wool/wind block combo is fine. Bottoms: Smartwool base layer, wool power 200, KOM pants.  That keeps me warm without too much bulk for bow hunting. Down is awesome. It makes a tiny bit of noise rubbing the nylon on the other layers, but I've never had a deer hear it. Shot my three biggest deer wearing these combos. Muff with hot packs for hands, arctic shield covers over boots with stick on toe warmers for feet.

This season I sat all day in weather less than 20 deg and 20 mph wind all day.  That's a long day but I was ok, and I get cold easy.

Hope that helps!

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 05:56:00 AM »
Another option is a golf windblocker vest/jacket worn underneath.  They weigh nothing and can be found at clearance pricing now.  I started to say anyone on the links this time of year is crazy, but then I realized at least they'd be moving.....never mind!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 08:05:00 AM »
x2   on the golf shirt  (and pants).  They can make a huge difference.  

I have a wind blocker lined vest that I wear on the outside layer.  It was made by a now OOB company but it is an awesome piece, and looks good too.  Quiet, and has deep, lined pockets, perfect for keeping hands warm.  Hope I never lose it.

ChuckC

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 08:17:00 AM »
I wear 1 of Teresa"s wind blocker vests under my Asbell wool on windy days.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 08:17:00 AM »
One of things things I like about wool is how quiet it is, not only in the woods but also anywhere else. When you start putting wind blockers underneath the wool, you must be careful of the material. Some of it is really noisy and takes away the quiet aspect of the wool fabric. Teresa's wind blocker vest is super quiet and does a wonderful job in blocking the wind.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 08:40:00 AM »
I like the sound of Teresa's wind blocker. I have 2 pieces of her stuff and like the price and quality. Some of the other brands mentioned are a bit pricey but sure have good reputations.

I am still fascinated by the idea of a single doubled layered garment, just to see if it would work, but Teresa's vest is the most likely way to go.
Sam

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 08:54:00 AM »
If you're after double layered, try to find a blaze orange wool layer on one side and another color wool layer on the other.  I had a vest like that, but it was on the small side over the past few years-guess the "never been washed" wool shrank-so I sold it.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 08:57:00 AM »
The BEST (and cheapest) trick I have found...

Wear a plain old cotton (oh,shame!!) camo shirt,or jacket, OVER your wool clothing.

The cotton camo shirt is soft,quiet,and the tight weave of the cotton is a very effective wind stopper!!!!!  :thumbsup:  

I have worn 2 100% wool sweaters, under a cotton "bowhunting" jacket, and have been comfortable hunting in the single digits, when the wind chill was well below zero.
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 10:31:00 AM »
Mole skin would be a good chice for that I would think too. Good stuff

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 06:05:00 PM »
I'm having more trouble with the cold weather as I get older. Today I sat in about 15 degrees w/ 20mph wind in a treestand for nearly 3 hours. I was wearing KOM Bunwarmers with a pair of Browning Windpro fleece longjohns, liberal chemical warmers, muck woody max boots, wool socks and a Cabela's fleece Berber/insulated/windproof coat. Toasty the entire time. If I had been wearing my usual insulated bibs and jacket I would have lasted maybe an hour. The KOM is amazing.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2013, 07:56:00 PM »
Now don't get me wrong, I love my Filson's but maybe it depends on which Filson's one has, because my Filson's wool coat lets wind pass through. However, wind does not seem to pass through my Swanndri coat, which is also water proof, and interestingly enough, my Swanndri shirt, while also being waterproof, does seem to let wind pass through, I can't figure it out but the Swanndri shirt with the GW vest, is perfect for stalking in cold weather.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©