3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I Shot a Deer, Mother Nature Took it Back  (Read 777 times)

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I Shot a Deer, Mother Nature Took it Back
« on: December 12, 2013, 07:31:00 PM »
She can be cruel at times......After sitting in a stand for 3 1/2 hours yesterday in 25 degree temps with a hard wind, I had the chance to shoot a decent 6 point buck. When he first went by me it was so quiet I could hear him breathing, that was pretty cool. He got broadside at 12 yards and I was able to draw on him and shoot. It felt good, but I thought it might be a little back. He took off bulldozing everything in his path, not slowing for anything. I sat down for another half hour, then walked out to my truck to warm up some. When I took up the trail it was pitch black, but snow on the ground was a big help. There was blood almost immediately, decent, but not gushing. The encouraging part was there was that fine spray that comes with deer blowing blood through their noses. I followed the trail downhill into a hemlock swamp, bleeding essentially stopped, except for times when he brushed against vegetation.....

I had travelled about 175-200 yards and came to a spot where I lost the trail. I was near the bottom and could hear a stream nearby, but instead of checking their I thought it prudent to back out and go after him this morning. I should mention that I had heard coyotes while still in my stand, and know there are a lot in the area.

The two pictures above were taken this morning.

This morning my buddy and I took up the trail at about 8:30. It was 13 degrees. I got to where I lost the trail last night. I had my buddy stay there and went forward through some tight, short hemlocks. Blood was on their branches, I walked ten yards through them and stood in disbelief......this is what I saw....

It was like a war had erupted in that bottom, I have never seen anything like it. There were seven distinct spots in a 20 yard area that that were covered with blood and hair, nothing else.  We searched the entire area and never found any other part of the deer, they took the whole thing away.

If I had gone 15 yards further last night I would have found the deer, what I do know is I will not leave a deer there overnight again.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I Shot a Deer, Mother Nature Took it Back
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 07:35:00 PM »
Bummer! Next time leave a sock or t-shirt at last blood.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 08:40:00 PM »
That hurts man. Sometimes the right call is to back out, so don't be too hard on yourself. After all, you went back in 13 deg weather!  Some guys (unethical ones) wouldn't do that. Kudos son!
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 08:54:00 PM »
Coyotes are impressive! I have had them find deer I have field dressed before I could return with a drag sled. I have changed the way I recover deer in most areas now too. We work to hard for those steaks... live, learn, adapt!
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 08:54:00 PM »
Bummer David.  I know it doesnt make you feel better but it didnt go to waste.

I would have backed out also.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 08:57:00 PM »
That sucks......but it happens. One of the reasons I have a hard time taking a shot in the last 40 minutes of a sit. But that's just me.....
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Dendy Cromer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »
that's what coyotes do, and they do it well. I would have left it overnight too. I just make the best decision with the info that is available at the time..... sounds like you did too.
Southern Zone Rep./Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia

Prov: 3, 5-6

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 09:13:00 PM »
You sure that was coyote or did Sasquatch take it?!?!?  LOL

Wow.  Amazing you never found anything.

I am sorry.  That stinks
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 09:17:00 PM »
I shot a doe earlier this fall that at the shot I felt the bottom limb of my bow hit something. It caused my arrow to go left and I hit the doe too far back. Marked the trail and backed out to come back in morning cause I knew I didn't want to push her from a bed and lose the trail.
I found her in just a few minutes of looking but the coyotes found her first. First time ever for me to lose one to them. Been hunting this property for 25 years and never had a problem.
Part of nature.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 09:18:00 PM »
The yotes are an impressive animal. Their survival instincts are axing, and their yipes and howls often sende into a trance of long lost wilds.

With the above Said I hunted them hard, with bows, rifles and dogs. They are a deserving quary and yet tey can still aggravate me when they do this. I'm sorry they got your kill.  I, along with many others have had it happen too and it is never welcomed
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 09:46:00 PM »
Those yotes are efficient little suckers!

Sorry they got your deer!

Bisch

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
Thats a shame my first trad deer had kiyotes on him litteraly minutes after I shot him. Thankfully a guy on the next property saw the coyotes take my deer down. However it wasnt until 2 weeks later that I found out. But I got the rack anyway.

Noted kiyote hunter Tim Wells says it may not be a whole pack that cleans your deer in one night. He says 2-3 can eat their fill go dig a hole puke up what they have and keep doing that until its gone.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 09:52:00 PM »
They got one for my son this year too. It happens! As has been said, nothing in nature goes to waste, but I'd still rather have it in my freezer than in a coyote.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 10:10:00 PM »
We had a bear get an elk this year on the Oregon coast and never found the carcass. just like yours...nothing but blood and hair everywhere.

It happens a lot out here. we never stop as long as we have a blood trail even if it takes all night. There are exceptions when they are in dangerous areas with shear cliffs.

Well the good thing is you can sleep well knowing you fed those coyotes and it didn't go to waste.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 10:56:00 PM »
You absolutely did the right thing. Good job! Bummer about the yotes.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2013, 11:04:00 PM »
Real bummer man. Makes me want to go coyote hunting. Might make you feel better too!?

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 11:09:00 PM »
Bummer Dave. Constant threat of that here to.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 11:29:00 PM »
I completely get that the deer didn't go to waste, and I still believe at the time I made the right decision. And I do feel differently than I have when I simply never recovered a deer.
I am just dumbfounded and amazed at what they accomplished in a relatively short period of time. I mean it was shear destruction in that entire area, and to not find any part of the deer just blows my mind. It has given me a new measure of respect as to what coyotes are capable of for sure.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2013, 11:31:00 PM »
We have that problem here real bad. I personally have been on 2 trails where there were not enough of the deer left to eat, and got lucky on my sons deer this year we had to leave over night for we bumped it 2 hours after the shot. I found it the next morning with only the hams tore into and the abdomen  ripped into but really not bad. We salvaged the shoulders back strap and tender loin.

Heck I have a fried who said he found only skin and bone in only 3 hours out here.

tough break.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2013, 11:42:00 PM »
man those yotes have got a lot to answer for not good. at least it did not go to waste
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©