3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Have things changed over time  (Read 1265 times)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Have things changed over time
« on: December 13, 2013, 08:54:00 AM »
As we all age I notice things change in my hunting. This year it was really noticeable.....it was a series of firsts. First time in over 40 years I never went up north to hunt the Adirondacks. First time I had a shot at a deer in years. Also the first time that I never hunted with any one else the whole season....not once. As time goes on anyone else notice that things change or is it just me........?
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Have things changed over time
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 09:13:00 AM »
Ron,  things are always changing, as are we.

Now... an outsider looking at your statement might say.... hmmmm no shots, long time, hunting north.... shots hunting elsewhere.....   ummm try not going north again next year, go back to elsewhere, and see if you get another shot next year.  Then you will know the answer to at least one question !

Change happens, every minute of every day.  But they often happen slowly and we don't notice until it makes a big enough difference.  We all need to pay more attention, before something is taken away  from right under our noses.

Good hunting

ChuckC

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 09:17:00 AM »
I'm 61 and I'm noticing it's getting harder to wake up at 5am when the temps hit 16 degrees and your in for a good 4 hour sit.

Also started rethinking about heading deep into the woods by myself and thoughts of dragging out a good size deer. Even though I carry my cell phone, my wife worries like heck when I'm that far back into one of my spots.

I love the solitude of bowhunting alone but really miss not bowhunting with Bamboo and Southpawshooter in Jersey this year. Family issues here have kept me away. I miss the banter, ball busting and the hard hunts we put in.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 09:24:00 AM »
I also an 61 years young, my wife likes to have me closer to home when hunting alone. But we all have to do what we can while we can. As far as the shots that I missed [one out of state] I have been blessed to have a chance to hunt private land [southern zone] the last 2 years and my deer encounters have more than tripled.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 09:26:00 AM »
hah!  i WISH i was 61!  7 years later and it's HARD to do things that USED to be EASY!  and new for this year - NO tolerance for cold any longer, too.  ack!!!!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 09:42:00 AM »
I know that the mountains are taller and steeper than they were years ago.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »
me too (change not age, lol)  at 45 I guess I'm just a pup.    :)

firsts this year
- that I had absolutely no drive to get out and scout over the summer, no trail cams hung, nothing...I didn't even shoot.  it wasn't until the the first week of September that I got the urge to pick up a bow.   very strange for me...so much so that I didn't dare hunt with my trad bow until mid october when I felt comfortable again.

-time in at least a decade that my woolens fit.  this might explain the paragraph above, but I tend to hyper focus on one thing, and this year it was getting healthy...I joined a gym and changed my diet.  working hard, I've lost over 20 pounds and feel better than when I was 35!  I was so focused on exercise, I neglected my hunting/shooting  :)  

-also tried a ground stalk on a bedded buck for the first time I can remember.   got to 40 yards before he melted into the marsh.  it was heart pounding fun!
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 09:44:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
hah!  i WISH i was 61!  7 years later and it's HARD to do things that USED to be EASY!  and new for this year - NO tolerance for cold any longer, too.  ack!!!!
Ditto that Rob. Except I have 2 more years on you.   :saywhat:      :rolleyes:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 09:53:00 AM »
Almost mid 60's I am not as mad at them(deer) as I use to be.Still love to camp and be in the woods and see my grandkids have fun.I still put many hours hunting but not quite as much as my younger years.Kip

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »
This a bit different but I am moving to a new state so the change hasn't happened yet but next year will be a whole new ball game. I've learned so much over the past four years since I started hunting and feel like I'm really getting the hang of it. In one way I fear having to learn some of it over again but in another way I am excited to search for new stand locations, perhaps even the proverbial honey hole. As for you older fellas, I'm twenty five and my wife worries just as much as yours I can assure you! I guess some things will never change.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 10:01:00 AM »
:goldtooth:

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 10:16:00 AM »
I turned 70 this year. I have come to understand that I'm not as good as I once was. But, I'm still as good once, as I ever was.     :saywhat:
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 10:18:00 AM »
Originally posted by ron w:
 :goldtooth:  
Whew! Glad 61 is not old, Ron. I'll hit that number in exactly three months!

My big change this year was hunting my own land. I don't know that I hunted any more or any harder, but I certainly enjoyed each day. I find myself passing on more deer each year. The joy of the hunt is as great as ever, perhaps even more, but I find less need to make a kill to make a successful hunt.

I've enjoyed hunting with my sons, but I really miss hunting with my brother.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 10:25:00 AM »
Ric!  :biglaugh:
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 10:25:00 AM »
I'll hit 60 in Feb. Things are constantly changing. I take more joy out of hunting with a camera vs. a bow. Always have my bow, it just takes second place, at shot time, more than before. Much more fun to hunt with the Grandkids and let them do all of the shooting. Also, I think it's a age thing, much less tolerance for rain and cold weather.

Getting old aint for sissy's!

LD
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 10:33:00 AM »
At 64 years old I find that I am less tolerant of the cold and though I prefer morning hunts I have a hard time dragging my butt out of bed in the mornings. I've also been thinking about climbing down from the trees and giving ground hunting a concerted effort.
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 10:40:00 AM »
Raising 4 Kids I took every deer I could , now with my Kids grown and out of the house I find I pass up more shots than I take . I have been fortunate to have taken a doe early in the past few seasons and then find myself getting pretty picky .The other thing thats changed is my perception of deer , I thought I knew them pretty good but I've found that the more I hunt them the less I really know .
Greyfox54

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 10:40:00 AM »
Life, is every changing and hunting is part of our lives.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 10:40:00 AM »
I admire you guys who can pass on shots.....Having only had 3 shots total in over 40 years, 2 this year, I'm not passing on a chance to harvest a deer. You folks must see a lot more deer than I do,,,,,lol!

Offline Bow-n-Head

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2013, 10:49:00 AM »
I'm 72 (i think) and i can't remember what i was going to say.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©