3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Have things changed over time  (Read 1262 times)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Have things changed over time
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »
Today was one of those days that I opted out, cold ,windy and a foot of snow. Would have been my last chance this season......so be it. I can start getting ready for next year....lol!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2013, 01:49:00 PM »
Amen

I am sitting here, waffling about taking a trip to Wisconsin's north for a last chance try at bobcat.  I guess I can try to find some snow shoe bunnies to chase while up there.  Never did either.  I go this week, or I don't go at all.  I need to decide.

I am already dreaming and scheming about next fall.
ChuckC

Offline long time archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2013, 02:01:00 PM »
I'll be 70 the next go around, and things for me have definitely changed. I just got back from my annual muzzle loader hunt in southern IN, with my brother and two other friends. And for the second year in a row, I didn't take my muzzle loader! Instead, I am happy to take a bow or this year my little 22 semi auto, sleep in until 6 or so, grab some coffee and breakfast, then take the pistol and do a walk about for rabbits.

I strongly believe in seasons in a man's life. When I was young and first started hunting, I needed to kill something, but often didn't due to my very steep learning curve. In my last spring or early summer of life, after I started to 'get it,' it was important for me to kill something every year--I felt like I was supplying food for the family. Later, I noticed the need to kill was slowly being replaced with an absolute enjoyment with just being there and seeing how close I could get to deer, or whatever--the hunt meant more. Now I seem more and more content to be there, observe nature, appreciate the moments, and helping youngsters get started in their journey.

Yup, things change....
long time archer

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2013, 02:15:00 PM »
I'm 66, retired, and hunting more this year then I have in several years. I will pass on early morning cold weather hunts or windy, cold and rainy days, but long to be out when the weather works in my favor. Hunt public land now, don't see as many deer, but truly enjoy the experience more than ever. Love to hunt with my TG brother and good friend "Ric O'Shay", but scheduling problems make those hunts all to few. Love to share my experiences by phone with him when he can't join me in camp, its almost like sharing a campfire. Of course that is what hunting buds do. I'm truly thankful for my good health and understanding family and friends. Thank God for all his blessings.   :archer:

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2013, 06:48:00 PM »
Whenever you guys are ready to increase your circulation ( which wards off the cold ) and get rid of your aches and pains, PM me and we'll get started.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2013, 08:40:00 PM »
My aches will go away when I move to the warmth of Georgia...lol!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Arraflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2013, 10:54:00 PM »
Ron, did I read your post correctly? Three shots at deer in forty years?? WOW I have to give you a ton of credit!!You are a true hunter my friend  !
A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one,you won't be needing one again

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2013, 08:45:00 AM »
You read it right, Had shot in 1971, and 2 shots this year. Now to be clear.....I spent many years in the northern Zone Adirondacks where deer numbers are very low. But even around my local area deer numbers are not very high. I have improved my skills and found better places to hunt [private land] thanks to a few friends. Hopefully that continues......lol!

Offline SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
Got   to thank Ron and all you guys who wrote. I was
Feeling pretty down . First year I haven!t took a deer since 1998 when I started hunting with a bow. Knew in my heart it was because I did not put in enough effert.To many excuces, to cold, shoulder to sore, knee don't work ect.  But maybe at 62 a after 43 years on the same concrete floor I'm just wearing down.
I get my most enjoyment out of watching my son hunt he's better than I ever was, he goes farther and hunts harder than anyone I know. Grandson got his 1st this year so life is good!
Love to be in the woods with my camera.
I'll do better next year.  THANKS
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2013, 09:55:00 PM »
I turned 60 this year and realized there was stuff that I still hadn't done, places I hadn't gone, and animals I hadn't yet seen.  So I flew into the arctic circle last year for 10 days of backpack diy caribou hunting and to South Africa this past June to witness more animals in 8 days than I've seen in a lifetime.  I have some regrets that I didn't start these adventures earlier in life, but I think I appreciate them more at this point in my life. I tend to find myself enjoying just the whole experience more and not just concentrating on the kill. Don't get me wrong..I do still get an adrenaline rush when I know I'm about to end the life of a big old fat doe, but if she doesn't show up i'm just as content with the sunset.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Arraflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2013, 07:56:00 PM »
Ron,I hunted with a muzzleloader in the northern Adirondacks and also in northern New Hampshire a couple of years so I know What You're talking about. Deer are scarce up there. I guess I just didn't realize HOW scarce!
A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one,you won't be needing one again

Offline PUDDLE JUMPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
At 57 I am starting to worry about my health more. Little injuries I used to shake off now stick around. Don't bend or mend like I used to.

I prefer to hunt alone for the most part. The day I cant do that I will be fishing a lot more, and hunting less.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2013, 08:47:00 PM »
Puddle Jumper, the thing is not to worry about them, just try to take of your self, and fishing ain't a bad thing....lol!

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
Last month I hit the BIG 5 0!  I ran the Memphis Marathon last December; and did a Half in October this year.  As others have noted, time waits for no one.  My pace in running and in life itself has slowed.

I think our God & Creator has designed us this way..to adapt to a slower walk; maybe so we can stop and take survey of all our blessings.

Although I am still able to do most anything I did 30 years ago, change is certain & age/gravity cannot be successfully fought.  According, I am trying to accept it and be happy.

I appreciate the many gentleman on this site that are older and wiser than me.  Their humility is evidenced in their words and the quality of their character shines through for others to see.   :pray:
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline BRIARS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2013, 09:38:00 PM »
Buckster, I did Memphis about 10 years ago at 40. I still run but not like I used to.

As far as hunting, I still hunt alot. But not with the intensity I used to. I was in with a good group of guys that would camp and hunt hard for 8-9 days. We  would do that 2-3 times a year. We lost our place and that has really had an affect on me.

I used to average 30 full days a year chasing whitetail, now I still get in the 30 days or more but tend to only hunt mornings or evenings.

At almost 50, things that used to be fun are now work. I still do them but I try to take as much work out of it as I can.

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2013, 08:55:00 AM »
At 60 I still hunt for the same reason and that is to take an animal.  The highs and lows if I don't aren't nearly as deep.  I think the biggest change is the fact that time has so much more meaning to it now.  I can pretend all I want that my best years are ahead of me but everybody knows they're on the other side.
     I've been blessed with excellent health and still shoot the bows I've always shot and still hunt as far from people as possible but I know that the time when I won't be able to is closer than it ever was so I cherish each year that God gives me to still do what I enjoy so much the way I always did it.

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2013, 04:31:00 PM »
I personally feel that hunting has changed alot even in my short life time (28 years).  When I first started hunting there weren't as many places selling guns, bows, gear, etc as there are now.  There's also a lot more selection than there was 15 years ago.

The biggest thing I see changed is the commercialization of hunting.  Hunting shows have gotten extremely popular to point of those people becoming recognizable 'celebrities'.  They promote our sport but its also provided a huge influx of hunters as well.  

It's nice that there's still people longing for the journey of the hunt rather than just the harvest.  Still the goal of hunting is to bring home your game (or why bring a weapon to field at all?), but some of us attach a little more meaning to it.
>>>--------->

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2013, 04:45:00 PM »
Altiman94, Just so you know, years ago everyone sold hunting stuff. Hardware stores, Wards, Sears, Western Auto, Big N, K-Mart, Gas Stations and the list goes on. Around here Wal-Mart does not sell guns anymore and half the ones I listed are no longer in business.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2013, 03:24:00 PM »
I want to thank that responded to this post.....I never thought it would go 6 pages. Some good thoughts from all.......   :thumbsup:

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2013, 09:26:00 PM »
My knees remind me every day that I should have never played high school football. Ibuprofin and my recliner were awaiting me when I returned from my squirrel hunt today. I'm 54 and wonder sometimes how the old guys must feel at the end of the hunt.

I lost three hunting buddies so far, two were close to my age. One of those was just last week. I think of them alot when I'm out hunting and just how short life is. I appreciate every day that I get to take my bow into the woods.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©