3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Natural Turkey feathers Louder  (Read 667 times)

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
Natural Turkey feathers Louder
« on: December 13, 2013, 01:47:00 PM »
I recently fletched up some arrows that came from turkey wings I had cut.  They are much noisier as they move towards the target.  More of a buzzing sound. Have you had that same experience.  Maybe I need to change my offset more or something.
T ZZZZ

Offline medic77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Natural Turkey feathers Louder
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 01:52:00 PM »
Man I'm glad someone else just said that because I was thinking the same thing.  I thought it was all in my head but maybe it's in yours too.  I was wondering if it is because I chopped them myself.
You're Off to Great PLACES!
      Today is YOUR day!
You're MOUNTAIN is Waiting.
  So....Get on Your WAY!  - Dr. Seuss

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 02:15:00 PM »
I think you're correct medic.  I have noticed it also when someone else was shooting hand chopped feathers.  I don't think it's specifically the turkey feathers but the way they are chopped.  I have also noticed that my chopper's parabolic shape is taller than the store bought feathers, something I might modify in the future.  Height of the feather may have an affect on noise also.  My feeling is that if they buzz a little bit - it still is one of the last sounds that animal will hear before it dies.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 02:19:00 PM »
They are a bit noiser because of the stiffness. For me the other characteristics out weigh that issue. I have yet to have a deer react as a consequence however that also is a function of the distance we're shooting at. My Northern Mist is whisper quiet so the fletching noise would be more noticable when shooting at targets but I never notice it when I've let loose at a deer.

Offline Centex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 03:00:00 PM »
Started shooting more natural turkey feathers as of late.  Some banana and some shield.  Turkey bananas are quieter than commerical IMHO.  I have not noticed any difference with the shields.
Howard Hill Halfbreed "Sol" 68" 50@29
Hoyt Buffalo 62" 45@28"

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 03:26:00 PM »
I find them objectionably loud.  Last summer I bought up a ton of turkey feathers with the intention of switching to them.  Haven't touched them after that first half dozen arrows and how loud they were.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 05:07:00 PM »
They are a little stiffer and have more natural oils.
My solution is to go to a 5 inch or even 4 1/2 inch feathers.
They are more stable and this cuts down the noise some.

The shape of feathers certainly can effect noise. Having a more rounded back end will help.
Don't think choppers vs pre made is that big a difference.
After arrows fletched with the real thing are shot in for a while they get quieter.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 05:10:00 PM »
We must all hear differently.  I've been shooting wild turkey feathers that I grind and burn myself for about 30 years.  Also shoot commercial feathers on my target arrows.  I cannot detect a difference is noise.  If they're cut/burned the same, they're equally quiet. Some shapes are quieter than others.  Of course, higher cuts are generally noisier than lower. An uneven cut or chop also contributes to more noise. Feathers that aren't chopped to exactly the same size/height will make more noise. More helical is noisier than a straight fletch. In short, the shape and quality of the cut, and how its put on the arrow, has more effect on noise than the type of feather.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 05:43:00 PM »
My experience is that they're pretty dang'd quiet, but Magnus cuts them either in low pro banana or 5" Swift cut for me and those are both inherently quiet cuts, as are parabolics.  I really like the fact that they seem to outlast commercial feathers by a long shot.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 07:06:00 PM »
I can tell you, don't mix them, I had to add a feather to one arrow, and all I had was a few from wild turkey wings. I installed it on the arrow and it buzzed when shot, I might be doing something wrong, but it's the only one that makes noise.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 07:49:00 PM »
X2 what Orion said!  Many factors for consideration; break it down and evaluate objectively i.e. unbiased.  

Do controlled experiments and compare fletching apples to apples.

Kris

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »
The first cane arrows I made were very noisy when fletched with turkey feathers. I cut them down so that the height was very low. They were still stable but much quieter.
Sam

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 08:15:00 PM »
Biathioman, You can just send me all that ton of noisy feathers.  Sound like music to me!
JAG/Johnny
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »
How about the difference between Turkey Primary and Turkey Secondary wing feathers? The Secondaries, being less stiff may be a little a little quieter, and as G Fred said in Traditional Archery this month, less helical is quieter to him.
Me, I'm just starting to experiment with grinding and burning Natural Turkey, so I haven't found any answers yet, other than I really like working with them.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by njloco:
I can tell you, don't mix them, I had to add a feather to one arrow, and all I had was a few from wild turkey wings. I installed it on the arrow and it buzzed when shot, I might be doing something wrong, but it's the only one that makes noise.
This is what really drew my attention to the noise.  I mixed two of Magnus natural  Shield cuts with  a commercial cut yellow for better visibility.  I instantly notice this buzz.
T ZZZZ

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 10:51:00 PM »
My guess is they're slightly different sizes.  I bet the yellow is a bit smaller, not quite as high,,maybe not the exact same angle on the back end. That creates unusual/turbulent air flow over the feathers, intensifying the noise. Go with all three of one or the other and the problem will be gone.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2013, 03:01:00 AM »
I use 5 inch shielded natural wild turkey feathers, helical fletched, from Magnus, but they are as quiet as can be.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline gordydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2013, 06:14:00 AM »
I notice more noise on a quill that is squared off,  raised up and not as aerodynamic.  Took a while to figure out why this one arrow was louder.  After trimming font of quill to to a low profile and aerodynamic shape,  the noise vanished.

Offline Mark Normand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2013, 09:04:00 AM »
I've asked about this here more than once, but this is the first thread I've seen where quite a few agree they are noisier. Definitely so for me.
The enjoyment of using real feathers from my kills is nice, and I usually don't worry about the noise, but do wish it was not there.
Stalker ILF recurve
Dakota II longbow

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2013, 09:39:00 AM »
I suppose a lot depends on the particular cut, but I've not found natural turkey feathers to be louder than dyed domestic.  They are a little stiffer so I suppose it's possible and I just never noticed.

For me they are all a little on the loud side when new but shooting them a few times quiets them down.  After a while either is basically silent in flight until they get really ratty.  The thing is the domestic get ratty and worn a significantly faster than the natural.  Plus, the natural are more moisture resistant.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©