3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are wood arrows a novelty these days?  (Read 1731 times)

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
Are wood arrows a novelty these days?
« on: December 13, 2013, 08:49:00 PM »
I was having a conversation yesterday with a fellow bow hunter/friend (wheelie guy, gasp! Haha), and the subject turned to my trad gear. He was surprised to see wood arrows in my bow quiver. It got me thinking, I KNOW people still hunt with wood arrows, but how many? I have carbons, (GT Traditionals), but I love my woodies so much more! They shoot so quiet and true. I enjoy knowing how each one behaves, and working on them. I don't build my own (yet) but I still put in effort to get the tips mounted perfect, keep any slight bends out, etc. I know it can be a little hassle from time to time, but I honestly don't mind. Now, after reading back some years in the forums, I can sort of see the carbon tide roll in. They do make sense, durable, easy to adjust FOC, straight, cheap (relatively) etc. Most of the "pros" for woodies seems to be their smell when they break, hahah. So, if you're a woody hunter, please stand and be counted. What do you hunt with them, what heads do you like, tips or tricks for maintenance and upkeep, etc. Thanks in advance! I would love to see how woodies are still dropping critters big and small in a "techy" world of today!
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline flinthead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are wood arrows a novelty these days?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 08:56:00 PM »
The feeling of shooting a wooden arrow out of a one piece longbow is hard to beat [still do it sometimes]---however I mostly shoot carbons because of the obvious reasons.Thanks, Roy
Maybe it is time to shoot what I have on the rack

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »
I hunt with wood arrows.  Just like them better.

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 09:02:00 PM »
I forgot to add, if you are shooting some snazzy arrows (wood or carbon, I'm in no way saying one is any better), feel free to show a pic. Same goes for any game taken if you'd like. Archery, and traditional archery at that, probably allows for people to best express themselves with the gear they choose to carry. Thanks again and happy shooting/hunting, no matter which you prefer!
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 09:02:00 PM »
Just me being me, but, I refuse to shoot anything but wood from my longbows.  Call it nostalgia, pig-headedness, whatever, wood just feels right from a longbow.  I have shoot aluminum, glass and wood from my recurves.  Carbon and me aren't friends yet.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline typical2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 09:03:00 PM »
I use wood arrows because they shoot better through my longbows.  I tried and tried to tune carbons to no avail.  Switched to wood and got better results.  Might try carbons again but probably not.

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 09:06:00 PM »
I've made, shot, and hunted with wood arrows exclusively for the last 28 years. Just a fad I suppose.
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 09:06:00 PM »
Just today I put a Douglas Fir shaft through a buck on a steep quartering away angle. Exited through the clavicle on the off shoulder and into the ground several yards beyond.

Nothing wrong with wood, just takes a little more effort to tune with them, or at least it does me. That said, I still shoot carbons as well but I love shooting woodies.

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 09:07:00 PM »
I love the quote Tree Killer, haha
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 09:07:00 PM »
Sorry for the double post, not sure what I did wrong there.

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
This is my first attempt at wood arrows, and I'm pretty pleased with the results. I gathered most the info online here and there. Took me about two weeks devoting about an hour each night I had available. This was extremely fun. I collected all the equipment and supplies starting in January. I waited for the right deals to pop up and strike while the iron was hot. It took me a year to get everything I needed, but the wait was worth it. Quality equipment produced quality results. Most important thing needed is time.

My equipment and supplies:

11/32, 75-80 spine Douglas fir shafts from Surewood
Woodchucker taper tool and bearpaw taper tool
11/32 locator nocks
0000 steel wool
Rubber gloves
Cotton patches
11/32 125gr glue on points
Minwax dark walnut stain
Rustoleum sunbleached stain
Minwax wipe on ploy gloss (oil based)
Whispering wind acrylic gloss enamel from 3R. (Red, white and black) "Scouts Out"
1 Bitz fletch jig
Spin rite Crestor
Young feather burner
Artificial Sinew
Feathers
ACE roller
Time...

Just before the black boarder crest.

Finished the first arrow

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
I somehow managed to get one of those nasty wood things to fly the 13 FEET to the unsuspecting mule deer in this picture...

I sure hope one of these ugly wood arrows can do the trick on a Manitoba bear this coming spring...

Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by BowHunterGA:
Just today I put a Douglas Fir shaft through a buck on a steep quartering away angle. Exited through the clavicle on the off shoulder and into the ground several yards beyond.

Nothing wrong with wood, just takes a little more effort to tune with them, or at least it does me. That said, I still shoot carbons as well but I love shooting woodies.
And what a great story it was Steve.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 09:15:00 PM »
There is enough interest in wood arrows that if you check the requirements for the North American Longbow Safari only wood arrows are acceptable...I met a bowhunter last year who has 3000 Port Orford Cedar shafts...woodies are doing fine and will continue to do so for many years

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline BuckeyeGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 09:18:00 PM »
Aluminum for 20 years, carbon just this fall, and now onto wood.  Wonder why it took so long to shoot wood.  Just feels good.  I used Curt's screwdriver method to straighten my arrows.  Shooting #55-60 POC with 125 grain woodsmans installed right now.  Planning on using 2 blade Deltas as well.  

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 09:20:00 PM »
I havnt had good luck with woodies and consistency, first it was hard to find them in the spine I needed, I didn't put them through my own spine tester but I could only get 4 or 5 of a dozen to cooperate. scince then I use them for small game with big feathers. my bow loves them they make my bow silent.  I would love to use them for big game if I knew I could get them to be as consistant as my ads.

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
dang double post,  anyway any tips on woodies.

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 09:22:00 PM »
dang

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 09:26:00 PM »
Some good looking arrows! And Zmonster, its clear your time and planning paid off!! Those turned out gorgeous! Oh, I only shoot red and white feathers, "Scouts Out!" Haha.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
I shoot Longbows, Toelke Super Ds and a Classic Whip and nothing but Douglas Fir and some Cedar through them. Wood is quiet, the Fir particularly is beautifully grained and they are satisfying to make yourself and they fly beautifully, certainly better than I can shoot.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©