3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are wood arrows a novelty these days?  (Read 1736 times)

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are wood arrows a novelty these days?
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2013, 01:59:00 AM »
Wood is not a novelty, just a labor of love.  I have used wood and carbon.  I like both.
Inquiring minds.......

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2013, 02:12:00 AM »
Sitka Spruce for me:

Chuck

Offline tkytrac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2013, 06:56:00 AM »
If you shoot longbow...anything other than wood...is blasphemy!!
Charter Member of Compton Traditonal Bowhunters
Recording Secretary for Michigan Longbow Association
Associate Editor of MLA's STICKTALK Magazine

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2013, 07:05:00 AM »
I'm waiting to see the first wood arrows featuring a carbon core. Hey, if it works for longbows.....!

I love woodies and can confirm they are alive and well.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2013, 07:06:00 AM »
I do shoot carbons out of one bow (like to play with lighted nocks), but I also hunt wood.

I personally like the way well tuned wood flies better.

It's pretty simple, if you don't want wood to break, don't miss.  But there's nothing better than POC or fir when you do break a tip.

Typically I use a 125gr head up front.  The Deadhead was for turkey season.  The pink/blue shoot well with 40-45# bows and 125gr up front.  500gr total weight.  The orange arrows shoot great out of 55-60# bows with 125gr up front.  600gr total weight arrow.  The gray/brown are in between.

These are my favorites - made by Magnus:

TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline neuse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2013, 07:21:00 AM »
Wood, wood and more wood.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2013, 08:28:00 AM »
I use both wood and carbon.  I like them both.  

Wood normally comes in 32" or less length, which is a problem cause of longer draw length.  If I make a standard point taper, and a standard nock taper, and not cut anything else off, I can have about 31" of arrow (to BOP).  

When I draw a broadhead, it touches or comes across my bow hand finger at full draw.  Good for some head styles, bad for others (I don't want more stitches).  For field points, blunts, judos and more careful broadhead choices, woodies are great, plus, they lend a special feel to any accomplishment.  

I guess I can start a project footing up some extensions this winter.

Carbons are just so easy to make, it is ridiculous.  Roll on the cap film, choose nock position, tape on feathers and glue in an insert.  BAM !

ChuckC

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2013, 08:45:00 AM »
Homemade wood or cane here.  Nothing else for a 36" draw.

Still need to make up some more.  Eh, I'm not hunting anything but blankets in this wheelchair at the moment.

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2013, 08:54:00 AM »
I've seen anything like that bow  halfseminole. My guess would be asiatic of sorts? Can you tell me more about it?
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2013, 08:57:00 AM »
Agree. More about your bow and what the string/rope does on the back side of the bow. Where to read about the design.  Looks to be a board bow?
Nice looking arrow.

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2013, 09:08:00 AM »
Once I made my first bamboo/cane arrow I've never used anything else.

The point on the far left ended up going through the heart of an 8 pointer this year.

AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2013, 09:14:00 AM »
I shoot nothing but wood,that being said we sell a lot more wood than carbon in our business.Have nothing against other arrow materials I just prefer wood.We sell a little bit of aluminum.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2013, 09:18:00 AM »
Wood is good........I still have some shafts that I still shoot that I got in 1996....... They last a long as anything else if you use your head. Nothing likes rocks and glancing hits.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Mark Normand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2013, 09:18:00 AM »
Is it just me or do u find the arc of a carbon is just missing something. After shooting woods for years I tried carbons, with foc weights etc. seemed like the arc was all out of sync. It flew ok then nosedived faster. I never could get confidence in that.

Shooting 45#, The woods to me have a beautiful observable controlled arc that the eye can follow. Then again maybe I'm full of it, lol.
Stalker ILF recurve
Dakota II longbow

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2013, 09:21:00 AM »
This carbon arrow thing is just a passing fad; wood all the way with the occasional aluminum thrown in.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2013, 09:21:00 AM »
Bow is cable-backed red oak, nominally of Alaskan design but really mostly of my own devising.  Roughly #35-45 pounds, depending on how tight I crank the cables.  72" tip-to-tip, backed with nylon bricklayer's twine.  Wanting to get up the sinew to do a sinew cable backed, but that needs money I don't have, even if I'm made of time.  

Thinking about making one out of pine just to show it can be done.  Cable backing is quite the trick for marginal wood, which is about all we can find here if you're not cutting it yourself.  Kinda hard to cut it myself now.

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2013, 09:39:00 AM »
Some real awesome looking arrows on this thread. Are those points obsidion? And seminole, it sure looks like a time consuming work with the braiding of the twine, but very interesting to say the least!
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »
I really like making wood arrows, but I rarely shoot them anymore.  Carbon is so consistent and durable I find them tough to beat.  

Still, there's really nothing like a nice set of wooden arrows and I completely understand why some are committed to them.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2013, 10:01:00 AM »
There is simply no question that a carbon arrow is superior to a wood arrow in terms of straightness, durability, consistency among shafts, and options for fine tuning.

However, I'm a wood man.  Shooting a carbon arrow out of a longbow is kind of like fishing with a nightcrawler on the end of a bamboo fly rod - It may be effective, but something just don't seem right about it.

If the day ever comes that I can say I shoot better than a wood arrow can shoot, maybe I'll try carbons.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Rick James

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2013, 10:08:00 AM »
I shoot wood--I just like em!
Check this out:
 http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=106699#000000
Rick
"The credit goes to him who is in the arena, whose face is marred by sweat and blood, who, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." T Roosevelt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©