3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are wood arrows a novelty these days?  (Read 1735 times)

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are wood arrows a novelty these days?
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2013, 10:16:00 AM »
I've shot aluminum, carbon and wood shafts over the years. Aluminum is a decent arrow material, but man, is it noisy compared to either of the others. For the last few years, I've shot strictly carbons for hunting because they are durable, straight, cheap, and easy to build. Once you have ONE of them tuned, you are done tuning because they are all the same or so close for it not to matter.

Then my brother said he was going back to woodies with the Kanati he has Jason building. I recently acquired a Toelke Chinook in trade and had been messing with it a bit with some of the carbon arrows I've been shooting. When he said that about woodies, I dug out some POC shafts I had around and made a few arrows to play with. I had forgotten how quiet wood arrows really are! I think I'll probably join him and go back to woodies at least with my Kanati and Chinook. I shoot so well with carbons out of the Orion, I don't think I'll mess with that.

The only problem I have with POC is the weight variation. Can any of you woodie shooters tell me if Surewood Shafts (doug fir) are more consistent in weight from one shaft to the next?
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2013, 10:57:00 AM »
They don't work very good when the pointy end is missing.

Found it.

Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline Phrogdrvr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2013, 10:57:00 AM »
I love making my own wood arrows.  Hunted with them exclusively this deer season.

Tom

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2013, 11:02:00 AM »
A novelty? Absolutely not. I have some good friends (Mike Vines, for one) who build beautiful, and extremely functional arrows.

The absolute truth as to why I shoot mostly carbon? I am lazy.

I made 2 dozen wood arrows 2 winters ago. This past winter I was too busy. I expect to build another couple dozen this year. But I can crank out 1/2 dozen perfect carbon arrows in an afternoon.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2013, 11:04:00 AM »
No, I don't think they are a novelty at all. Like most products that have been surpassed in popularity by newer products, you don't see them as often as carbon and aluminum. Yet, as you read on this site, and others, wood still has a strong following.

This is due to many factors, with the most important being that they still work. Many enjoy the beauty of them and the fun of crafting them. Others enjoy the nostalgia of doing it the old way. Whatever the reason, a lot of people still love the graceful flight of a well made wood arrow.

As for me, wood arrows are just a natural match for my Hill longbows. Why? Just because...
Sam

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2013, 11:08:00 AM »
Yes they are novelties, just like fly rods, 81 Trans Ams, an 86 Silverado and all the other things from the past that to me are way better than whats new to todays markets. Love me some novel stuff.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2013, 11:09:00 AM »
still use wood myself...and a lot of compound guys have been told over the years they cannot shoot wood in a compound as they will break or explode.  Hell, I was told that with my first compound...I had to get rid of any wood arrows and only shoot aluminum...the woodies would not endure the huge energy transfer.  LOL

Anyhow...things progress and improve...but I still love woodies and will continue to use them until I shoot my last arrow.  My wood of choice has evolved from cedar to doug fir..with a few stops with ash, maple, chundoo, sitka spruce but otherwise has stayed wood for arrow shafts.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2013, 11:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by Stumpkiller:

I have developed a lacquer-free system.  All wiped on stains and leather dyes under a poly sealer coat and Sharpies or Pilot markers/pens for cresting.  Simple and low odor.  

I'd like to hear more about your system, Stumpkiller. Sounds like it would speed up the process considerably. How do you apply the poly? I like the low odor idea. The wife almost banned me from the house last time I used lacquer in my basement shop.    :knothead:
NRA Life Member

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2013, 11:15:00 AM »
You can get weight-matched shafts from different suppliers, I know RMSGear does it with cedars. I think Surewood will match DF.

I've played with all shaft types, killed my first couple deer with aluminum arrows before I really knew anything about tuning them. Luckily they flew well and had sharp Magnus 2-blades on them, so they did the job.

After attending K-zoo one year I decided to grab the stuff to make my own woods, something just seemed "right" about using them with my old Necedah. Haven't looked back besides messing with carbons for a while just shooting 3D and backyard fun.  

I love making woodies, killing something with 'em is icing on the cake.

Here are some compressed cedars from long ago I restored and am using this season;

The orange one in there is an Ash stumper/small game arrow. Love the weight, but every batch has a problem shaft or two. Here's a look at my mini-batch of Ash stumpers;

Some random Doug firs;

Some footed cedars, probably my favorite arrows. They seem to shoot out of any bow I have or have had from 45-60#;

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2013, 11:23:00 AM »
I have tried wood, aluminum, carbon and the old 'glass shafts that Bear used to sell.  All have their advantages and disadvantages.  I recently ordered 3 dozen more wooden shafts from Twig Archery.  Why?  I just like wood arrows better.  I enjoy building them, shooting them, and hunting with them.  Shoot what you like.  Its all good but nothing says trad like wooden arrows.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2013, 11:31:00 AM »
I shoot aluminum and wood. Dougherty Naturals from the Longbow and from my recurves....Surewoods, Ash and Superceeders.

Ash and Superceeders

Surewoods

"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »
"The only problem I have with POC is the weight variation. Can any of you woodie shooters tell me if Surewood Shafts (doug fir) are more consistent in weight from one shaft to the next?"

30Coupe, contact Steve at Surewood Shafts (they are a sponsor here) and you will receive great douglas fir shafts that are within 10grs of each other.

Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2013, 12:21:00 PM »
I was thinking about your question about woodies perhaps being a novelty...I can see how some might think this. Quite a few guys who are taking up archery have never shot wood. They may have come from shooting compounds. Either way they are introduced to archery by shooting carbons or aluminums. I get calls all the time after a guy receives their arrow order and shoot them for a few days. The response is often that they are actually surprised at how well they fly and how quiet their bows are now. Yep, discovering or rediscovering wood is looking like a novelty to some. But actually I believe it is a revival.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Rick James

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2013, 01:56:00 PM »
In the book the "Witchery of Archery" Maurice Thompson's Indian friend Tommy said it well:
"Any stick do for bow--good arrow dam heap work--ugh!"

He was right--carbons are easier but in my mind there is a unique feeling of satisfaction that is becoming lost to many in our world today that comes from using ones own hands and a few simple tools to build something functional and good...
It seems that even in our world more and more of us want it easy and we want it now...
Don't get me wrong--I don't start my fires by rubbing two sticks together and I know that time is at a premium for many of us, but none the less, it is way cool to build something yourself and to build it good and then be able to use it for its intended purpose.
So,all that to say Novelty--No
Becoming a lost art--Maybe
Rick
"The credit goes to him who is in the arena, whose face is marred by sweat and blood, who, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." T Roosevelt

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by snag:
"The only problem I have with POC is the weight variation. Can any of you woodie shooters tell me if Surewood Shafts (doug fir) are more consistent in weight from one shaft to the next?"

30Coupe, contact Steve at Surewood Shafts (they are a sponsor here) and you will receive great douglas fir shafts that are within 10grs of each other.

Wow, Snag, those are some beauties! My woodies generally look much more utilitarian to start with and rather scruffy before too long anyway. Ten grains would be WAY closer than the last few batches of cedars I got. The raw shafts varied  75-80 grains in weight. Believe me, you will notice that when you shoot them!

We were thinking that we'd get them from Steve. Sounds like a good plan at this point.

Thanks.
NRA Life Member

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2013, 02:27:00 PM »
Here is another question that may be asked.

Is shooting traditional a novelty?  It would be interesting to see how many that go to traditional shoots leave the recurve/longbow and go to other arrow throwing weapons to hunt with.

I go to 2 maybe 3 trad shoots a year with my family, kids and grandkids.  That amounts to 6 archers and yet when hunting season comes around I am the only one that hunts traditional.

I would figure a majority that post on here hunt traditional because this is a traditional site.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2013, 02:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by 30coupe:
The only problem I have with POC is the weight variation. Can any of you woodie shooters tell me if Surewood Shafts (doug fir) are more consistent in weight from one shaft to the next?
You'e getting your shafts from the wrong people.
You can get weight matched shafts from a number of outfits.
Wapiti Archery - POC
Surewood - Douglas fir
Hildebrand - Sitka spruce and Douglas fir
All these folks will be happy to supply you with straight grained, weight matched arrow shafts.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2013, 03:16:00 PM »
I forget who it was, but the link that was posted to a similar thread ("woodies love"), awesome! For all those that replied, I thank you! Your responses have and will no doubt inspire others to perhaps give wooden arrows a try, (or another try). So many great quote-worthy responses on here about why wood arrows are still thriving, not to mention the great pictures of some beautiful arrows! Thank you everyone!
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2013, 03:32:00 PM »
Wood only for me. Doug fir and POC. Taken several dozen deer, elk and a gator with good ol' wood.
DonD

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2013, 03:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by 30coupe:

Originally posted by Stumpkiller:

I have developed a lacquer-free system.  All wiped on stains and leather dyes under a poly sealer coat and Sharpies or Pilot markers/pens for cresting.  Simple and low odor.  
I'd like to hear more about your system, Stumpkiller. Sounds like it would speed up the process considerably. How do you apply the poly? I like the low odor idea. The wife almost banned me from the house last time I used lacquer in my basement shop.      :knothead:   [/b]
My wife has asthma and the lacquer was not appreciated coming through the floor vents.

I use Three Rivers alcohol based stain on the shafts except for the last 10", which I wipe with Fiebing's leather dye - both with a rag.

Then I use MinWax Wipe-On Poly (two coats).  The next dat I use Sharpie permanent markers for the crest and Pilot Metallic Pens for the highlights on the crest - Unfortunately MinWax over these smears and removes the cresting.

Duco for fletching and the nock.

These are Douglas fir.

Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©