3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Buffalo and Thunderchild owners please chime in  (Read 1052 times)

Offline Tradtical Commando

• Trad Bowhunter
Buffalo and Thunderchild owners please chime in
« on: December 14, 2013, 10:32:00 AM »
I am sure there is a similar thread out there but here goes anyways. I am on the list for a bow from Big Jim and am having a tough time deciding which one would be best for what I want. I am sure most of these questions would be best suited to Jim, but I would like to have a little more of an idea what I want before we talk. Any input is greatly appreciated!

The only bow I have ever owned is a Browning Nomad Stalker 52" 60# at my 30" draw. When I try to shoot longbow type grips, the string wrecks my arm constantly and the grips feel very unnatural to me.

Also, in case it matters to my questions, I am wanting to get it 65# at 30".

WHich bow would have the most comfortable grip for me/similar to my browning?

My browning stacks really bad past 28" and has an insane amount of string pinch and my ring finger typically stays numb around the clock from shooting it. Can I expect something similar from a Thunderchild?

And   most importantly  , how loud or silent is the Thunderchild vs the Buffalo ( I am looking for silence)?

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Re: Buffalo and Thunderchild owners please chime in
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 10:47:00 AM »
Both great bows.  TC does everything the Buff does--
Just in a smaller package.  I draw 29.25" and the TC was a pleasure at 56".  Both bows have a smooth draw that you can count on.  The TC in my humble opinion is the prolly the best 'short' longbow out there.  The beauty of custom bows is that Jim will make the grip to YOUR preference.  He will help you make it your perfect bow.  If you are having trouble shooting a longbow it sounds like you're not bending your bow arm enough.  Keep a slight bend in your elbow, don't lock out your elbow like shooting a high brace height recurve.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 11:31:00 AM »
I have them both.  Love both of them.  If it's about grip, the bit doesn't matter.  I sent him a grip I wanted and he matched it on both bows.  If you want it like your browning, send it to him and he'll take care of it.  It's truly a "custom" bow with Jim.  In other words,win win.
Centaur Triple Carbon 60" 55@29

"Only that day dawns to which we are awake"

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 12:53:00 PM »
I have shot Both the Buffalo and Thunder Child, I purchased the Thunder Child 56" 50# @28 inch.  My Bow is Bocote limbs and Zircote/Bocote riser. It is a work of art.  I would shoot both bows every time Big Jim was at TBOF shoots in Florida.  This went on for several years.  I final saved enough money and made the purchase.  I prefer the Thunder Child because of the length.  The Thunder Child is amazing and does not shoot like a short bow.
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 01:03:00 PM »
I have shot Both the Buffalo and Thunder Child, I purchased the Thunder Child 56" 50# @28 inch.  My Bow is Bocote limbs and Zircote/Bocote riser. It is a work of art.  I would shoot both bows every time Big Jim was at TBOF shoots in Florida.  This went on for several years.  I final saved enough money and made the purchase.  I prefer the Thunder Child because of the length.  The Thunder Child is amazing and does not shoot like a short bow.   I think you will be happy with either bow, Good Luck with your purchase.

William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline ed cowden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 01:51:00 PM »
65# @ 30" Why. What are you going to shoot. The longbow is held different than a recurve. So all the habits you have from shooting the recurve should be modified. The BACK of your bow hand should be nearly straight and the heel of your thumb should be pushing on the grip more than the web of your hand like the recurve. You will face the target more head on and break your elbow a little. I squeeze hard with my bottom two fingers on the bow hand as I draw. This seems to keep the grip right for me.
    Your first longbow. You should really have fun. I would try and find a couple shooters near you and shoot a little with them. Also masters of the bare bow is good DVD. And surely I would drop the weight to 50# or under. I am sure unless you are going after really big stuff you will find a lighter bow very easy to shoot.

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 02:23:00 PM »
I have a TC and love it. Mine is a take down that makes travel really easy. The bow breaks down and fits in my Safarii Tuff quiver and is a very compact travel package that has everything I need to hunt/ shoot.

My vote would be for the TC.   :D

And,… as everyone says, Big Jim is an artist that builds deadly art.

This is "Ursa",  Purple heart, Walnut and Cocobolo on the limbs.
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 02:59:00 PM »
Had a Buffalo but keeping my TC, what a great longbow in a short package.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 03:25:00 PM »
I have both and like them both. The TC is the only short bow I've ever really liked. I have a 29" draw, my TC is 58" and my Buff is 64". Both shoot great,

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 04:03:00 PM »
I have been shooting my recurve a lot lately, but also enjoy shooting my Buff and TC.

After taking the Rod Jenkins clinic, my draw length changed slightly and went from 30.5" to 31.5"+...still working on it but it is going well.

I find the bow lengths of a 58" TC, a 64" Buffalo and a 62" Desert Bighorn (I really like me 60" curve too) to be very comfortable at my 31.5" draw.

I will say that I have dropped to 54#'s while I have been working on form and my shooting (down from 82#'s) It works and is all I can handle accurately at this time, but it feels no different than my heavy bow felt when I shot it a lot. Ultimately you will get comfortable and your muscles will atrophe (or build if done properly) to the most amount of work you put them through.

thanks guys, BigJIm
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline sidekick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 05:53:00 PM »
I've had both, I now only have the TC---two of them. Nothing wrong with the Buf, just seemed to shoot The TC better.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 11:09:00 PM »
Besides having the opportunity to test yourselve, Big Jim's straight forward and knowledgeable guidance would far exceed anything I may be able to offer.

I have watched Big Jim up front disclose that a particular bow was a poor fit to an eager cash-in-hand prospective buyer. The prospective buyer appreciated his advice and left with cash-in-hand.

Big Jim is one of those special bowyers that I feel somewhat guilty for not owning one.

Note: Both bows are excellent and I have shot them both on numerous occasions.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 10:57:00 AM »
Your in good hands with Jim.
I went with the style grip Jim makes on my buffalo. I have a bob lee recurve and I felt the grip was to big for me comfortable but big.  Not haveing  a lot  of experience or a preferanc with different  grips other than my lee my sons bear grizzly and the multiple compounds I have had every bow I have had I shot it the way the grip dictated was the best way for me to shoot that particular bow be it a high wrist a straight wrist or a low wrist.
So that said..  I entrusted Jim to make me what he liked. And ya know so far I like it .  So don't be afraid to try something new.
Good luck Tim

Offline beendare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, 12:26:00 PM »
I have a 64" Buff [about 30" draw] and I can tell you it really spits an arrow out there for a longbow. Between it and my recurve its a totally different animal as some have mentioned requiring different grip.

It took me a few shooting sessions at a blank bale to find out what the bow prefers. These will have a bit more kick than a recurve that takes a bit of getting used to. I can't give much comparison data- I'm a lefty that hasn't been able to find much to try.

I have the Dalmation ebony and anyone who sees it just says, "Wow!"
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 05:11:00 PM »
Two piece thunder child at 58" would be pretty sweet and dang hard to beat , just sayin   :wavey:
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2013, 05:55:00 PM »
Thanks for all the great info guys! It sounds like a TC might be the direction I am headed! I am like a toddler drinking red bull waiting on my name to come up on the list…lol

As compared to any other longbow, how quiet/loud is it? Or how does it compare noise wise?

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2013, 05:57:00 PM »
Mine are both dead quiet, its one of the things that really sold me on Jim's bows.

Offline Dendy Cromer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2013, 08:12:00 PM »
I own 4 of Jim's Buffalos. I don't have a TC, but i've shot them plenty. It really doesn't matter what you decide on, you will be most pleased with either. The fact that they are quiet, dead in hand, smooth and deadly is a given....but the beauty of his work is hard to beat.
Southern Zone Rep./Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia

Prov: 3, 5-6

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 07:35:00 AM »
TC it is! Thank you gentlemen.

Offline hunterbob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 10:24:00 PM »
Well you decided on bow . Now what wood you going to get. I just received a new to me big Jim TC and haven't got to shoot it but 5 or 10 shots today. But I am on big Jim's list also . I am leaning towards the Buffalo longbow myself.
robert quetot

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©