3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bow for son  (Read 316 times)

Offline Chapbutler

• Trad Bowhunter
bow for son
« on: December 14, 2013, 08:44:00 PM »
Ok, here we go.  My son loves to shoot  Was considering new bow for Christmas.  He is a large 10 year old.

Do I get a light weight adult bow in the 30 or 35 pound range?  My reasoning is that he draws approx 23 inches and the 5 inch shorter draw will reduce his poundage.  How sig is the shorter going to be relative to total weight as far as reduced draw?

Would seem something in a 54 inch length would be a great option and provide for several years of growth.

interested to know your thoughts

thanks in advance
Psalm 46:10

Online Chuck Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bow for son
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 09:13:00 PM »
A 35 pound bow will pull about 22#@23". He could probably handle that if he has done a fair amount of shooting. Just don't overbow. It's better to have him shooting 20# at his draw and then move him up a little at a time, if he is just starting out.

Chuck

Offline BuckeyeGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 09:16:00 PM »
Chap, I just bought a Matrix Jr from Black Widow for my 6 year old for Xmas and was amazed at the quality.  I've checked out other sponsors too and Maddog makes a helluva kids bow for great prices and so do St Joe River Bows and Black Rhino (I saw post above and could not remember Chucks!!)

Also, take off #3's for every inch under 28" draw that would get you close to what he would be drawing at 23".  

Good luck, no matter what you find I'm sure he will love it.

Offline chrisAKnative

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 09:35:00 PM »
I would go with a black rhino or maddog.

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 09:41:00 PM »
What is he shooting now?

Even if shorter and lighter draw weight, an adult size bow may be more mass weight and too large of grip for a 10 year old to comfortably handle.

My boys have all started with Mad dog bows.  I don't think you can go wrong there.
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 06:47:00 AM »
A St. Joe River Bow is a great bow!  My 9 year old daughter has one under the Christmas Tree.  I picked up the arrows, quiver and glove from Big Jim.  I can't wait for Christmas!
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 09:34:00 AM »
X2 on don't over bow. it can lead to all kinds of problems with form later on. A 20# at hid draw length is fine for ten years old even if it is easy for him.  Used bows and hand me downs might be the best way to go as they outgrow bows rapidly if they really love archery.

Offline Maxx Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 09:51:00 AM »
X3 on don't over bow! All the kids in our archery club use bows in weight from 20-24#. We watch them pretty close and if we see some difficulties ,change them to lower weight right away . Usually they will get sore arms at the end of the evening . Maddog Archery or St Joe River bows, very good bows.
Kwyk Styk 58" 55x28
Cari-bow 62"54@28
Thunder child 56" 53@27
Bigfoot Sasquatch SS ILF 60"@55#@27"

Offline Stephengiles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 08:28:00 PM »
I bought my son a black rhino 25#@26" it's plenty for him and I even shoot it now and again. Both those and mad dog bows are reasonable and well made, just like adult bows. If it's just for targets I would get one of those. Besides even if you buy him an adult bow no matter how good he shoots @35# he probably won't be able to hunt with it till he pulls 28". At least in my state

Offline Stephengiles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
By the way my sons black rhino is 54"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©