3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ohio whitetail hunt Dillon State Park area.  (Read 380 times)

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Ohio whitetail hunt Dillon State Park area.
« on: September 12, 2007, 12:27:00 PM »
This year we are heading to Ohio to try Dillon State Park the first week of November and back to Vinton county (Zileski) for the second week of November.

Does anybody have any info in regard to Dillon State Park? Is there a lot of hunting pressure in the Dillon area?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks
Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline McGeeM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ohio whitetail hunt Dillon State Park area.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 12:33:00 PM »
I would say there is. I live in the area, but have not hunted Dillon myself. There is a lot of hunting pressure every where in this area.  If you are willing to do some walking you should be able to get away from people. There are some nice bucks that come from there as well.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 01:26:00 PM »
Thanks Matt.

We usually do try to find some areas deep within wherever we are hunting. We went several miles in, in the Zaleski area and didn't see much pressure. We were going to try the Dillon area and American Electric property. We also have a few farms we can hunt in Gernsie County if there is too much pressure.

Thanks again
Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 03:41:00 PM »
We used to hunt Zeleski years ago during gun season. LOTS of pressure during that season. Not sure of where Dillon is or how it is during november.
Jason Lester

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 04:57:00 PM »
Gil,
   I just moved from the Zanesville area a year and a half ago(Dillon State Park is near there).  It does get quite a lot of bow and gun hunting pressure.  Rarely have I hunted that area and not come across locals AND people from out of state.  You really have to be willing to cut through the thickets and be very aware of the roughest areas to get away from pressure.  You may even want to look and see if there are any areas that can be accessed by boat.
   I have not hunted Zaleski, but I think it might be a better bet, it is a less populated area.
    Check with Ohio Dept. of Nat Resources.  They will usually list the local conservation officer and you could send him an e-mail.  I have done that an they gave me some good tips for other areas.

Good luck,
Charlie

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 05:45:00 PM »
Thanks for the responses.

We hunted the Zaleski area last year. I shot under a monster. We were back in beyond any pressure, but we heard and saw a lot of coyotes. We didn't see a lot of deer but I was able to find some big buck sign and a big buck. The coyote situation turned us off a little. That is why the first week we are going to give Muskegum county a try. Is there a lot of pressure in the American Electric and Power property?

Thanks again,
Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 06:03:00 PM »
I doubt very much that you will find any public land here in Ohio that lacks hunting pressure but it's no big deal (imo).   There's game to be had and early season squirrel hunters may just move the deer around a bit for you.

I hope you stick a nice juicy buck.  :-D

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 10:24:00 PM »
Gil-

Are you referring to AEP in Noble/Morgan County?

If so, Lots of pressure during gun and primitive seasons, not much during bow season. It is a popular area with plenty of bowhunters, but there are hundreds of acres of great, solitary hunting to be had if you don't mind a little hike.  I have hunted it for 20 years and never ran into another bowhunter in the area I hunt.

Make sure you get the AEP permit before going.  It's free.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 10:30:00 PM »
Gil,
    Most of the areas I have hunted here in Ohio have had a number of coyotes.  I don't think you will get away from them.  Every county in Ohio has them now, you will even see them in bigger cities like Columbus.  That being said, I don't think they affect the deer as badly as some people think (IMO).  Ohio is loaded with deer.  I used to drive I70 between Columbus and Zanesville everyday.  During the rut there were 3-4 new dead deer every day on my drive.  I also saw plenty of them out in the fields, even later into the morning.  They are here if you are willing to do the work, which I'm sure you are. I can't imagine you would make that drive and not put in the time.  You will see deer at Dillon, just get a good plan and be patient.  Like someone else said, squirrel hunters may help you out.  
    Try to find where most of the less motivated people will enter the public hunting area and slip in the back tougher way.  That is why I thought you might want to see if there is any access from the water at Dillon.  I have never tried it myself.  

Again, you will see deer, good luck!

-Charlie

Offline ncboman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 04:28:00 AM »
My son and I hunted Dillon a few years back and saw 3 monsters, 2 of them laying around the camping area. Hunting pressure was heavy, even during bowseason, and the traffic around there is kinda heavy too.

You might want to checkout some of the other nearby areas too ... less pressure.

AEP has more yotes than I've seen anyplace else in Ohio.
ncboman

Have Bow >>>-------> Will Travel

Offline greenie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 06:22:00 AM »
Gil I work for AEP and have access to the permits. Let me know if you need some. There is also a map of the boundaries showing lakes and campsites if you need it.

Offline McGeeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 10:08:00 AM »
Gil what farms are you hunting in Guernsey county. If you don't mind telling. I just bought property in that county and know a few of the farmers in that county.

Offline bowhunterksb32

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 10:30:00 AM »
since you'll be close,don't rule out woodbury in coshotocn and a small pice of public proerty right outside of dreseden. I've only hunted teh area one year for a weeek during the rut and the hunting pressure was unbleivable for bow season but we saw several  big bucks but didn't get any.

I saw the biggest nontypical buck i've ever seen at the wood bury public area. he had it all mass,stickers drop tines stickers on the drop ines but he was to far for my longbow. Maybe it was becasue of thye rut ,but the funny thing was we hunted way back in the first 2 days and din't see nuthing. we started hyunting closer to the road and the deer we saw wasunbeliable. the big non typical was only 4 or 5oo yards from the road.

Offline McGeeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 11:24:00 AM »
Bowhunter, good call about Cosh. never thought of it, but your right, good numbers and nice quality in that county.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2007, 10:50:00 AM »
Thanks for the info guys.

Molson - we are going to check out the AEP land bordering Morgan and Muskingum counties. We are also going to check out the Conesville Coal lands. It was good to here about the lack of hunting pressure during the bow season.

Greenie - thanks for the offer. I applied for the Recreational Use Permit online. It came back and I printed it. Is that all I need? I thought I just had to fill it in.

McGeeM - we arrange access through Craig in OHIO. He arranges for hunters to hunt certain farms that the farmers want to allow hunting but restrict unlimited access. The farms are 15 minutes west of Salt Fork. Freinds hunted through Craig and did well on the farms. I didn't make any arrangements yet so I may be too late this year for the farms. I am going to try to get intouch with him this weekend.

I found Ohio to be a very hunter friendly state. The State Park cabins are great and very reasonable. Last year we stayed in Lake Hope and hunted public land. We went in deep and didn't see much pressure. I shot under a 140 class buck, quartering away at 26 yards! He added insult to injury by sniffing the arrow as he walked away! The first week we are staying in a cabin at Dillon State Park. The second week we are going back to lake Hope and this time that 140 class buck won't be so lucky!
TGMM Family of the bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©