3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Grizzly VS Super Grizzly  (Read 3925 times)

Offline Airdale

• Trad Bowhunter
Grizzly VS Super Grizzly
« on: December 16, 2013, 04:13:00 PM »
Thinking about a new or used Grizzly.  For those that have owned or are familiar with the 2 what say you.  Is it worth a $100 more for the super?  Thanks.

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grizzly VS Super Grizzly
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 04:21:00 PM »
I think the Bear Grizzly is the perfect hunting bow.  I had one that was 54#@28 and it was a fantastic bow. Perfect length, smooth draw and hits with authority. Money was tight this year so I gave the bow to my Dad for his birthday.  He likes it alot as well. Grayling Green in great shape.  If (when) I buy another bow some day it will be a 60# Super Grizzly.  I say Super Grizzly because I like to think someday the extra money wouldn't be an issue, and I like the dark riser.  If you buy a Grizzly you won't be dissapointed.  These are great bows.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 04:34:00 PM »
I like what I'm hearing about the Grizzlies. I just sent my money off for a '66 from the Classifieds.
I've always wanted a Grayling Bear(broke my '67 Super Mag at full draw)and this one looks about as mint. Like the length and weight(52#@28).
Don't have any experience with them, so no help there, but many like them and I'd say go with the one you like the looks of best, like BW, the dark riser is the draw(pun intended!).
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Mryan2176

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 04:39:00 PM »
I don't own eithier, but have shot both and liked them. I know the grizzly only accepts dacron, but the super grizzly accepts fast flight materials or dacron. I don't think you could go wrong with eithier.

Offline Mryan2176

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 04:42:00 PM »
Also, i wouldn't pay 100 more for the super grizzly unless you really like the looks more or you want to use a fast flight string. Matt

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 07:08:00 PM »
I have owned over 30 Grizzlies (all old ones) and one 1976 Super Grizzly.  The closest thing I could compare it to is my primary hunting bow which is a 1972 Grizzly.

I obviously like Grizzlys and think they are fabulous hunting bows.  

Comparing the two I mention above I think the Super Grizzly had a smoother draw.  However this compares two different years and back then there was a difference in the composition of the limb material.

I have not owned or shot a newer one.

My '72 is my favorite hunting bow right now.  However, I haven't met a Grizzly I did not like!

Why did I sell the Super?  I went through a radical phase where I actually thought it was smart to stop collecting old Grizzlys. LOL!  I have not completely recovered but I do buy far fewer now and still dabble with the idea of cutting my collection of old bows
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 07:15:00 PM »
The Super Grizzly accepts fast flight string material, as mentioned, but it also has an extra lamination in the limb.  You definitely get a little more performance out of the Super G.  Worth it?  You have to answer that for yourself.  Sorry.  (BTW, I sell them so the easy answer is "of course it is worth it.")
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 11:31:00 PM »
Prices on Grayling Bears are way down and the Kodiaks seem to be taking the biggest hit...I recently bought a 64 inch 1960 Kodiak that has been very nicely refinished for 325 dollars...if you like dark wood it is hard to beat that 50 plus year old Brazilian rosewood...unless you are totally locked in on a Grizzly at least consider a Kodiak

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 12:23:00 AM »
I own both (1 Grizz, 2 SGs). All are older Graylings.

Buy an older one and never look back. Either one. In good shape, of course.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline mj seratt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 02:09:00 AM »
I have a vintage Super Grizzly, labeled 60# @ 28 inches.  It scales 62-63, uses dacron, of course, and shoots VERY well.  I consider it bomb-proof, and hunted and shot 3-D with it for a long time before going to custom bows.  I'm not at all sure I improved my lot in bow shooting by moving "UP".

Murray
Murray Seratt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©