3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I can't remember a time being this upset  (Read 662 times)

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
I can't remember a time being this upset
« on: December 16, 2013, 06:27:00 PM »
So I go out to my spot yesterday at noon.  There were people target shooting with their kids in a safe manner and I stopped and made small talk.  Long story short at 5:30 pm another gun hunter (that didn't like me hunting fired a round from a lever action rifle right under me.  He didn't say one word to me.  Well seeing hunting is not worth confrontation I leave the woods to go back onto the main trail when I noticed 3 young men firing pistols into the pond at jugs and in the direction of the main entrance where there were other people located.  I decided that the trail was not safe to walk because it leads right across the pond in the direction they were firing.  I make my way out to the abandon railroad tracks where I find a vehicle parked 100 yards away (guy that shot under my stand?) As I am walking to my truck people are firing guns in my direction (as well as the vehicle) at a propped up target with no backstop.  It was at this point I freakin blew a gasket and just torn into the young shooters about gun safety.  I am a firm believer into the second amendment and people owning firearms, but some people just are to stupid.  You can't fix dumb and I am lucky to have left without a mishap.
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Romans 10:14 KJV

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I can't remember a time being this upset
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 06:52:00 PM »
I would have called DNR or the sheriff's office. I would have also gotten the tag number of the guy who fired the rifle under my stand, as it is against the law to harass somebody with a firearm. That act way constitute terroristic threats and acts. These people do not belong on public land.
Sam

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 06:56:00 PM »
I would be very upset too.  I am glad you are okay. Situations just like that make things worse for all hunters.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 06:58:00 PM »
Wow! I would find another place to hunt PDQ. You simply cannot fix all that stupidity with or without the help of law enforcement.

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 07:02:00 PM »
Yeah I figured it is not worth it.  Not worth my time or effort.  I was previous LEO and know I had no way a proving what the one guy did and Law enforcement would be unable to do anything.  This place is privately owned by a company but has left it open for people to shoot and 4 wheel.  It is a real shame and it is people like this that give hunters and the shooting sports a bad reputation.
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 07:13:00 PM »
Some people doin't know any better and some doin't care.Sounds like you are dealing with both.

Hope you can find safer hunting grounds.   :archer:
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »
Bummer...  AND crazy.  I have never found anyone around here doing stuff like that.

Glad you're OK.
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 07:28:00 PM »
Good you are ok.  I quit deer hunting in MI 2 decades ago because of similar experiences. . . including someone pulling a gun on my over a deer!  I will never again hunt in those types of conditions.  I have even quit certain seasons and areas here in KS due to conflict.  

A decent guy can turn into a complete idiot when given guns or an open deer season.    

Dan
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline snapper1d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 07:50:00 PM »
Sam is right and using a firearm to harass is a really really big no no!!!

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »
I'd call fish and game for sure. If for nothing else than to get it on the record.
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline tradarcher816

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 08:38:00 PM »
had a similar experience a couple of years ago turkey hunting.  My buddy let me use his farm and while sitting in the blind with my bow and decoys my buddies uncle decided he was tired of me being on the farm (not his farm) and went out side and started firing off with his 870, fortunately he left and a couple hours later I still had birds come in. But it kills me how some folks act, and how reckless many are with their firearms.  I love my guns and will defend the 2nd amendment till the end.  But your right about you cant fix stupid.  And some folks just don't care.  I just picked up a new house and almost 13 acres, and I'm sure there are a couple of spots that I could safely shoot my guns.  But that being said, I still don't plan on it until I have done some work to make certain that I know where EVERY round is going.....

however, it's a great place to bow hunt.
Love God, Love your neighbor.

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 09:44:00 PM »
ive had a couple like that, one the guys were shooing rifles at a pond that I was in a duck blind on the other side. I could hear the bullets.
the second time I was going to retrieve a duck in a river that borders private land.  a disturbed homeowner came out to the bluff 100yards away and began to shoot at us, me and my 5 year old son hid in some tall grass while I called 911.  while on the phone I was watching him through my binos describing him to the dispatcher while he was reloading and pointing straight at us and firing.  He was arrested and I had to testify.  he was fined and given NO jail time.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 10:19:00 PM »
None of what has been written here surprises me. I have worked in a couple of Gun Stores since retiring and have come to the following conclusion. There is currently no popular form of recreation in which such a sizeable percentage of the participants are as clueless as today's gun "hunters"! I found it extraordinary how many shooters walk in asking for some "3oo magnum bullets" and when you ask which .300 Magnum?, you get a sincerely dumb stare. After some casual questioning, I believe literally 80 to 90 percent of hunters have no clue as to their rifle's point of impact at different hunting ranges. I could go on and on but the idea that many behave like idiots in the field again surprises me none at all.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 11:10:00 PM »
I am amazed at Cabelas gun counter to hear the guy tell people the range finding scope will make him a virtual sniper.
"aim, push the laser put the dot on that elk at 800 yards, squeeze". Collect yhe meat.win d? Elevation change?  Does not enter in....Do you have people shooting up TVs and computers?  Our desert is littered.  I shot one day, got disgusted, went back thenext day and raked the range of the trash. Two weeks later, same crap. Who brings 9phonebooks as targets?  At least you are OK
I have guns and carry one always.  Saw on tne news tonight actul gun violence, generically, is down.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 11:42:00 PM »
distinguish yourselves - create and support Bow Only seasons Bow Only areas and create and support Bow Only hunt clubs. No need to rationalize or justify - walk what you believe.
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 11:52:00 PM »
I don't hunt gun season here. Not safe unless on you own land.
Went muzzleloader hunting on public land. Rifle hunters decided that was a good time to sight in. Deep wilderness is the only peaceful place here.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2013, 12:20:00 AM »
I have had a few situations on public land in Iowa with dangerous gun owners. One threatened me, that was a dumb thing to do. Once a group of Hispanics, from out of state, were shooting pistols right in our direction. I yelled, it made no difference. When they left, I followed them in their fancy  decked out car and pickup to the Iowa town a few miles away.  I called the local county sheriff and said that I suspected drug smugglers. I was right. Then this year, there was a guy shooting inline blackpwders with his kids. He was shooting straight down the access path and he told me that I should not walk that direction. I was not going to hunt there after all of that target shooting, but I did inform him that target shooting on public hunting land was illegal. He said "They have to catch me first." I said, "You do not understand this is bow season and you have been caught."

Offline jwhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2013, 12:37:00 AM »
I think it is the "Urbanization" of gun owners.
Earlier in my life I was a high powered rifle and muzzle loader hunter... I saw very few problems when more of the hunting public seemed to be a part of a hunting tradition.  Now the crowds come from big cities and just seem dumb.  I have quit shooting (my guns) at our local gravel pit because of the idiocy that you may encounter on any given weekend.

Another problem is simply land owner perception.  I hunt some beautiful whitetail country that is in and around a lot farms and trophy homes that are only 20 minutes from a large urban core... these land owners take a LOT of work to win over so as to bow hunt on their land.  It is not an exaggeration to say that they HATE gun hunters... they often try to lump me in, but I have done a lot of "getting to know you" ground-work and explained traditional archery to a number of these private land holders and it has paid off.  I have found them receptive to letting me hunt with my quiet style (longbow).  However, with all of the stories that these folks are telling me of the crap that they put up with from slob hunters trespassing and shooting inappropriately, it is making access for trad-bow hunter very hard!  We need to be out there actively working on Public relations/education about our sport and holding ourselves to very high ethical standards.  I believe things can get better but it is tough... my county now has a huge shooting ban that extends all across some great deer hunting.  This is all because of stupid, urban slobs that carry guns.
3 JD Berry Duo-Flex long bows
A pile of JD Berry ASL bows
2 JD Berry "OE" Long Bows

A Coyote ran accross the road, on the move without a home...
T. Petty

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2013, 04:23:00 AM »
I agree that a lot of people give hunters a bad name, but I also think you will never change that.  To be honest I love to bow hunt and support it, but the freedom to own and use firearms far out weights the ignorance of some.  It is a shame there are people out there that do not understand this concept about conducting yourself in a respectful manner.  But such as life and our society is in full vertical free fall into the abyss.

Oh btw I never go out into the woods without my 1911 and Sunday was an example why.

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2013, 09:46:00 AM »
I was hunting several years ago on an 80 acre tract that I was leasing. I was just off a high voltage right of way in the edge of the woods. About a half mile away downhill and just off the right of way were two houses. I had just sat down under a white oak when all of a sudden about 8-10 shots ripped through the tree. There were no more shots, and it was a burst rather then deliberate shooting that you might get from a target shooter. It was obvious that someone was trying to intimidate me. It didn't set well because some of the shots were within about 10 feet. I circled around to stay out of the line of fire and then drove down to the two houses from where the shooting had come from. No one was at home at one house but when I went to the second house there was someone there. He claimed not to have heard anything or know any thing about it. He also said that he worked for the FBI. I figured that he was the kook that did it, but having no proof had to let it go.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©