3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Goose Egg  (Read 418 times)

Offline Roverrich

• Trad Bowhunter
Goose Egg
« on: December 17, 2013, 09:32:00 AM »
So this is my first season all trad bow, in fact it is my first season back hunting since 1996. I had a blast and most importantly I introduced my son to our love of hunting, but....there is always a but...despite planning and close calls, no meat in the freezer. 2013 = Goose Egg so far.

Just wondering how may folk here are still looking for their first of the season and for that matter, how long did it take for folks to get their first deer?

Don't get me wrong, I loved every sec of the hunt and have no intention of giving up as we have till mid-Jan in IL for the archery season, but holidays are here and family takes the priority and therefore the odds are against me.

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Goose Egg
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 11:04:00 AM »
I feel your pain. Took two shots this season, nothing to show for it. I got meat, but not with my longbow. This is my third deer season with the longbow and nothing yet, except a spring turkey.
When you go from 2-3 deer per season with a wheel bow, down to one every other season (recurve). It gets frustrating, but I'll "stick" with it too.
Good luck with what time you have left. Two weeks for me, maybe 6 weeks if I get down to zone 12.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline Stephengiles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 12:05:00 PM »
This is my first year with a bow. I mostly still hunt so it's been tough. See something every trip so far though so I feel it's just a matter of time. If I was still using a gun I would have four deer and three coyotes, but big deal. I don't see any reward in just kicking an animal out of bed and killing it. Did have a close encounter with a nice 8 though and I must be honest I totally choked. I wont go back to any other way though I'm totally hooked. I'm also learning every time I step into the woods. I thought I knew how to hunt.  Turkey seasons coming up too so if no deer maybe a turkey, I have killed a few squirrels but until I make some cheap small game arrows they will get a pass from now on. When you miss and hit a hard stump or have to dig your broads out of a tree... Well you know. :)

Online goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 08:45:00 PM »
This is my first year total trad....  absolutely NO shots on deer or bear....  I was planning on bloodying my long bow with a bear up in Ontario... mid 90's highs kinda jacked that up. Back home, here in MO, I have not seen the amount of deer that I normally do....  I have had shots present themselves on a 4pt and 6pt, but we have an antler restriction that 'saved' both of them! LOL

I have until 15Jan to make meat....

Hope you get yours!

Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »
I hunted from 1964 to 1970 before I killed a deer. That includes both rifle and bow. My first was a bow kill.  I have hunted 17 consecutive years now with bow only and have killed few deer, but I take very few shots. Nothing to show for this year but only was able to hunt 3 times.
Sam

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 11:54:00 PM »
I shot and wounded a very nice buck early this year, he would have been my biggest deer to date. That is the only shot I have taken all season and I have hunted haaard. I wish I would have totally missed that deer as I am still sick about it to this day. But thats just the way it goes sometimes. On that note once I switched to all trad about 5-6 years ago I have killed 3 whitetail. It took me a the first couple years before I got one with my recurve. But I should have had several the first couple years but i guess I was still learning the ropes of trad hunting. Best of luck!

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 12:52:00 AM »
Last year I started hunting with a recurve. I still switch back and first between the compound.
 I killed 3 deer with my recurve last year, I have done the same this year
 The main thing I learned if tree stand hunting you really have to set up for the shot
I love Bow Hunting

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©