3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do You Find That Rubber Boots Just Don't Work Well In Winter  (Read 1172 times)

Offline cloudbaseracer

• Trad Bowhunter
Do You Find That Rubber Boots Just Don't Work Well In Winter
« on: December 17, 2013, 11:56:00 AM »
I have a pair of un-insulated rubber high top Lacrosse boots that seem to just cause my feet to sweat too much.  

They are hot in the Georgia early deer season but that is manageable.  The problem is when it is 50 degrees and below.  
I have tried walking to my stand in a really light pair of sock liners = cold feet.  
I have tried taking my boots off and changing socks to something heavier = cold feet still.
I have tried the chemical insoles but they seem to not get enough oxygen to stay warm even though I give them 20 minutes of open air exposure to start with = cold feet. The chemical warmers start working on the drive back home and last a good while but that is no help.
I have taken my goose down booties in and put my feet in these with the chemical warmers and this works ok but they are not durable and don't work the best when it is 20 degrees and windy. Plus my boots are left to just flood the area with stinky feet smell.
I tried the Arctic Shield boot covers over my rubber boots but they provided almost no warmth = cold feet!

Now I am thinking I need to buy some 2000 gram insulated boots to wear but those generally are made from leather or other materials and are not as waterproof or scent proof.  The other big disadvantage is that I am sure my feet would sweat  like crazy walking in with anything that offers enough warmth?

It is easier with clothes in that I can dress really light for the hike in and dress up once I get cooled down on the stand.  There just does not seem to be a good way to do it for the feet!  

Do you guys that use un-insulated rubber boots switch to something else on the stand or only use them in warmer weather?

Thanks,
James

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do You Find That Rubber Boots Just Don't Work Well In Winter
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 11:59:00 AM »
Same here. Why I have to use leather boots with over booties with hand warmers.

If your doing the above and your feet are still cold something may be going on. I have carried my boot socks in my under lYer to stand and work reg cotton in and then took them off placed in a ziplock bag then get out my nice warm wool sox I had against my body and put em on at the stand. But with over boots and hand wRmers in the over boot over a fairly heavy insulated boot and still cold feet. You may have some kind of med condition maybe that may need adressed and would help you out.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 12:02:00 PM »
I wear rubber boots both insulated and uninsulated down to 20 degrees or lower.  I use insulated Red Head-Bone Dry 1200 gram boots when on stand,  uninsulated if I'm going to be active.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline cloudbaseracer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »
Redshaft,

I did not try the overboots with insulated boots as I only have the un-insulated Lacrosse.  I think the rubber is just really cold and zaps any heat from my feet.

Burnsie,

Do you have to change socks after you walk in with the 1200 gram boots?  

Thanks,
James

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 12:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by cloudbaseracer:
Redshaft,

I did not try the overboots with insulated boots as I only have the un-insulated Lacrosse.  I think the rubber is just really cold and zaps any heat from my feet.

Burnsie,

Do you have to change socks after you walk in with the 1200 gram boots?  

Just bare rubber is very cold and will draw heat right out of your foot! No wonder. Yea if you wear a light insulatedboot, say 600 gram and the over boot with chemical warmers in And good wool sox you will be able to sit all day.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »
You might want to try some antiperspirant on your feet. Certi-dry is the strongest you can buy over the counter. Spray your feet with this stuff before you put your boots on. This will stop your feet from sweating and keep them warmer.

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 12:36:00 PM »
Sorels with felt liners.  And wool socks.   Waterproof and warm
Dan Breen

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 12:36:00 PM »
Sorels with felt liners.  And wool socks.   Waterproof and warm
Dan Breen

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 12:44:00 PM »
Also, there is a thread going on wool insoles from Two Tracks right now. They are a big help; hot weather or cold.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 01:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Steve O:
Also, there is a thread going on wool insoles from Two Tracks right now. They are a big help; hot weather or cold.
I second that.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 01:08:00 PM »
My feet will get cold anytime under 45 degrees with regular rubber boots. My muck boots are good to about 28-30. After that I bring out the 1200 gram thinsulate pac boots
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 01:26:00 PM »
The antiperspirant on the feet trick really works. Try it.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 05:31:00 PM »
Here is the insole thread I was referring to:

Two Tracks Insoles

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 05:48:00 PM »
My Muck Wetland boots have never let me down. But, then again, I haven't hunted below 15 degrees with them either. But, otherwise, they've done a great job and are very comfortable.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline bow'narrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 06:03:00 PM »
Right on Dan.  Sorels with  felt liners and wool socks.  Knee deep snow and below  zero weather - no problems.
no clue how to do this

Offline dougedwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2013, 06:24:00 PM »
These originally military issued all rubber boots will keep your feet warm but the side valve which is used to equalize pressure at high altitudes should be glued shut for hunting.  The downside of these boots is that they are huge but I have no problem using them in cold weather while ascending trees with my Summit climber.

http://wardenssupplyco.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=54
But you brethren are not of the flesh but of the Spirit if indeed the Spirit of Christ lives within you. Romans 8

Offline shirikahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2013, 07:59:00 AM »
I was raised in Alaska...my opinion in cold is this...Don't wear rubber boots!  The only exception is a Sorel (if extreme cold, wear the glacier, but the pack boots will do ya fine in the lower 48) and keep an extra set of liners.  Swap them out daily, so you always have a  dry set on.

Offline cloudbaseracer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 08:57:00 AM »
A few follow-up questions please ---

For you guys that use or suggest Sorel Pac Boots with felt - Do you change the socks you hiked in with to a dry pair or is the moisture not a problem?  Can you sit with sweaty feet and still stay warm?

Thanks,
James

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2013, 09:04:00 AM »
I had said in a earlier post. I wear cotton sox in taken off quick on stand and put on my heavy wool sox.  The wool felt will put the sweat away from your sox.
I also have found he pull out liners to dry very fast it you take em out at home and place near heat source.

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2013, 01:11:00 PM »
i did something that really helped on my treestand. i bought the neoprene pad that fits on the footrest section of my Summit climber. keeps my feet off the cold metal, and that helps a ton. i think they quit selling those for some reason, though. not sure why. you could buy a sheet of neoprene rubber and trim it to fit your stand, though.

correction - it is still available on their website.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©