3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A story of Pigs and Peanut butter  (Read 6236 times)

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A story of Pigs and Peanut butter
« Reply #100 on: January 18, 2014, 01:22:00 PM »
Well, I have more pitiful news. I guess I could just type in here that I didn't see anything or maybe that I missed, but I fear that a lie would cause the hunting gods to frown upon my future opportunities.
Here goes: Stopped at the feed store on the way to the lease to buy another barrel of peanut butter and was informed that a durned Yankey from Ohio came down and bought all they had left! He got like 10-15 barrels...sooo I just picked up some more corn for making shine and went on my way to the lease.

At the Magnolia stand, I found that the pigs had been there around noon and also various other times during the 3 previous days. Mostly practice pigs, but also a couple of fatties. Through out a gallon of big jims corn moon shine and went on.

I really wanted to hunt stand #2 (that's where the pics posted here have come from). Several big fatties coming in from time to time. Upon checking the camera there, I found that pigs had been there three different times from 7:30 to 11:30 pm the previous two days. I threw out my "shine" at the feeder and clibed the tree. Now the tree I'm in at #2 is considerably bigger thant that of the catapult but heavy winds had me whipping around just the same. At 7:10 pm, the ground came alive with about 6-8 sizeable shadows and with the tell tale sound of grunting pigs I new it was about to begin. Most of them came in to the feeder and nobody noticed me turning up the light. Since they were calm, I just took a deep breath and waited for a good shot. A couple of times I drew but let down as they turned on me. Finally, I let loose and at the hit, they all scattered but the pig I shot. He actually turned around and came back in. I nocked another arrow and waited. He actually went back for a bit of shine and when he did, I drilled him again. Upon the second hit, he went to squealing and cork screwing tword me and then around my tree making a circle around me. I thought I heard him expire. Seconds later I thought I heard him trip and stumble forward. After about 45 minutes I got down..left my bow in the tree and went looking for sign. There were no arrows in the dirt (didn't miss with either). There was no blood anywhere either so I followed the trail I knew he too when spinning out of control. That is where I found my broken arrow (second shot) covered with blood and gut. I continued following the path he took but never found blood. Feelikng concerned, I headed back too my stand when I saw him/her. It was standing there in the trees rocking back and forth with his back to me showing no concern that I was trapsing around and shining a bright light on him. I snuck back and got my bow sure that I could get another shot just to put him out of his misery. When I found the pig again, it was laying down so I snuck in and hit the green light on my bow but the pig stood up and just sort of walked off not offering me a shot. I followed and got within 15 yards and MISSED! He just trotted a little and ducked in the bush so I backed off and got back in my stand. At 11:00, preacher and I went looking for him and ran into a couple of yote's. An extensive search last night and again this morning not only did not turn up a pig, but no sign other than on e broken arrow. The pig was about the size of the closest pig on my most recent pictures page 6 8:pm picture.

FRUSTRATED!, BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2014, 07:34:00 PM »
That sucks , was hoping to see pics with you and that pig . I think you need your heavier bow again    ;)
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2014, 07:45:00 PM »
That does suck. I would rather read the truth any day. Your not alone Big Jim. Been there and done that.  My buddy Tim shot a hog three times and didn't  recover it. Keep after them...

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2014, 10:17:00 PM »
Well, you can't always staple them to the ground.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: January 18, 2014, 10:24:00 PM »
Bummer Jim
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2014, 10:32:00 PM »
BWD, I wish I could but it would take a big bow and arrow to staple these fatties to the ground.

Years ago I shot a piglet (15 lbs tops) and stapled it to the ground with a "BigJim" broadhead but then it began to run around in circles around the arrow until it worked it's way off and then ran off seemingly uninjured.
I followed the blood until I was thoroughly lost in the swamp in the dark (to this day I still haven't learned to use a GPS). Never found that one either.
I have fortunately found many more than I have lost but this year has been a set back                    on proficiency.
BigzJim

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: January 22, 2014, 08:01:00 AM »
New report: Last night, Preacher, my Bear rep. Jeff and I went on the latest pig mission.
Winds were high, temp was low and expectations were in the middle. Preacher chose the Magnolia stand and upon his arival (about 5:15 pm) had a dozzen little piggies in the corn. Aparently there is no minimum drinking age for pigs as these little buggers ate every bit of the shine he had put out earlier that day. He was able to get within 1 yards but had no clear shot and they spooked off. A little later they came back and he attempted a shot, but didn't notice some small brush in the way. His arrow was deflected and Preacher described the hit as a butt spanking. Aparently, the arrow turned sideways and slapped the sow in the butt with the shaft...one more educated pig out there.

When Jeff and I aproached his stand, there were already about a dozzen practice pigs in and eating. we aproached and they spooked. I left Jeff behind and went to my stand. shortly there after, the piglets came back out and Jeff harvested a nice grilling size pig of about 40 lbs.

My stand was uneventful. Unfortunately I cannot post any pics of Jeff's pig as it was not harvested with Trad equipment although a very clean bow kill just the same.

More action to come....we hope.

BigJim

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: January 22, 2014, 08:26:00 AM »
:coffee:  Good luck.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: January 22, 2014, 06:05:00 PM »
keep it commin
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2014, 02:09:00 PM »
Well,??????   :dunno:
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2014, 04:53:00 PM »
It's all gonna come together soon.  Keep at it big guy.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: January 24, 2014, 05:07:00 PM »
Great read....I'll tell you about my 'accusation' hunt about peanut butter in a bit.  It pretty funny too, but mostly jealous ridiculousness.

Keep it coming...this is good stuff!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2014, 11:45:00 AM »
Pigs are amazing creatures the can reduce plants into bacon.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2014, 11:55:00 AM »
I am on sabbatical from pig hunting at the moment. I have to get a bunch of work done before we start our new season of events and I'll be taking most of a week to hunt with Drew and Manny when they come down.
There will be flying bacon then. Feb 2-9 for the big hunt.
The pigs need a break anyway as I'm sure I was worrying them.  :)

BigJIm

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2014, 11:57:00 AM »
This is a great thread, but really hard on key boards Jim... When you went into the explanation of the "Catapult" stand, i spewed coffee all over the place... you see... i have this ability to see pictures in my head of you loading the catapult and seeing the tension in your eyes as well as the tree.... Too funny Jim..... Keep em coming bro... i love it....  Kirk

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2014, 07:32:00 PM »
Manny will slow them hogs down
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: January 25, 2014, 09:07:00 PM »
Kirkll, the first time I sat in that stand was the first time in over a year that I had actually seen a deer while hunting in GA. Problem was I couldn't even move with out the tree shaking like heck. I unfortunatly spooked the deer and haven't been in there since.
Now however, we have the stand set so it can be shot from while sitting...course If i weren't so "husky" (nice way of saying fat a$$) it wouldn't have been a problem in the first place.
BIgJIm

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: January 26, 2014, 09:03:00 AM »
Catapult stand......sounds like another big Jim's t shirt in the making!
Good read.

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: January 26, 2014, 07:21:00 PM »
Bacon raised on peanut butter....
I want to taste one of those Southern pigs!!!!

:archer:  

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: January 28, 2014, 03:03:00 PM »
So I'm sitting in the stand yesterday and the propery owner rides up to me and says i can't pig hunt there anymore because he son felt like i was mucking up his turkey hunting which doesn't start till April. He was nice about it,however ,as he was walking back to his truck he tripped and busted his butt. Hmmm did i feel sorry for him?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©