3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Good Job Dummy  (Read 868 times)

Offline BoonRoto

• Trad Bowhunter
Good Job Dummy
« on: December 17, 2013, 06:24:00 PM »
I was shooting in my recently finished basement last night like I have for years now without incident. It is only an eleven yard shot. I was distracted with thought and missed right on the first shot, right through the b-board wall, uggghhh, stupid but easily patched. I berated myself and continued shooting and then sent one low into the carpet, not as easily fixed. I have shot thousands of arrows down here without a problem and then in one night over the course of ten shots I have two wtf moments, lol. Lets here your stories dummy, it doesn't have to be shooting related, hunting will work as well.

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Good Job Dummy
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 07:00:00 PM »
Purchased my first recurve super kodiak 50# and get it home.  Started at 3 yards to get a feel seeing that I have maybe shot a bow like this 2 times and at 20#.  Before long I was shooting at 10 yards and all over the place on the block.  I learned that day as you start to get tired it gets worse and now my shed has 3 holes in the side of it.  What makes it worse is my wife herd the arrow hit the shed and came outside.  Then she proceeded to laugh at me.  Not a confidence builder, but I am now at 15 yards grouping the arrows nice and tight.
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Romans 10:14 KJV

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 07:18:00 PM »
I should take a pic of the wall and door in the local archery shop.  And, I hung a rubber conveyor over and behind it.  People still miss. Only takes a nano second of distraction, a lesson againfor picking " a hair"
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 07:22:00 PM »
Shot at a groundhog at work once, skipped off the gravel and stuck in my buds tire sidewall.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »
Hey Kennym, So far you win.
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Romans 10:14 KJV

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 07:31:00 PM »
Okay, this story dates back about 33 years.  

My uncle and I were shooting wheely bows in his backyard.  Now I'm talking Bear Whitetail II days.  Our backstop was a big shed and we felt pretty safe.  We both used these little releases with 2 para cord loops.  We were also way over bowed and had to draw the monstrosities by pointing skyward to break them over.  The day was hot, mid July in mid Missouri.  We were sweaty and had been shooting about an hour.  You guessed it.  In mid draw I dropped the string and launched a 2117 game getter skyward into the air.  Did I mention my uncle lived in the middle of a small town with houses spread out in all directions.  

In amazment I watched the arrow disappear. Oh crap, this is not a good thing. So we put our bows down and jumped in my truck to go "cruise" around a couple blocks over in the direction the arrow went to look for my arrow.  We got over about where we thought the scud might have landed and there in the middle of a yard is a lawn mower still running with no one pushing it.  Oh crap, this is not a good thing.  I jumped out and ran to the door to see if someone had been injured due to my stupidity but the guy was just inside getting a drink of cold water. Thank You Lord.

We searched for that arrow for about an hour on rooftops and in yards and never found it.  Needless to say, I never shot like that again. That was scary not to mention stupid.  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 07:35:00 PM »
Been there.

Offline kencat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 07:38:00 PM »
bought a new recurve to hunt with many years ago put it behind the seat of the 53 chevy i was driving those ones with the hump in the middle of the floorboard.  got my new bow home got out if the car shut the door and broke about six inches off the end  when it slid off the hump. what to do? what to do? Cut 6 inches off the other end and turned it to a foot bow to see how far it would shoot. from a high bank could get about 400 yards

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 07:49:00 PM »
I will usually forget the seat for my climber at least once a season.

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 08:07:00 PM »
before deer season started, I was going absolutely stir crazy, so I started stalking squirrels in the yard. found out that they were hanging out on the roof of my house, and hanging on the sides of the stucco.

put two REAL nice holes in the stucco siding of my house when I had a couple of "can't miss" shots at squirrels (I missed), and wasn't patient enough to wait for them to get on the ground or in a tree.

amazingly, I am still alive, and my wife is still speaking to me.    :knothead:
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline BoonRoto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 08:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by kencat:
bought a new recurve to hunt with many years ago put it behind the seat of the 53 chevy i was driving those ones with the hump in the middle of the floorboard.  got my new bow home got out if the car shut the door and broke about six inches off the end  when it slid off the hump. what to do? what to do? Cut 6 inches off the other end and turned it to a foot bow to see how far it would shoot. from a high bank could get about 400 yards
This one scares me! I always check but it still scares the crap out of me.

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 11:46:00 PM »
I had a friend make me a new custom recurve. I was hunting with a different person and got back to my truck and this guy was waiting.

I leaned my bow against the tail gate latch and started taking my hunting clothes and boots off. This guy kept saying come on I have to get home I'm late. So I get changed but the truck in reverse and start backing up. This guys says who's bow is that laying in the road. Ah s--t

I was afraid to go look. Luckily the ground was wet and the lower limb had dug into the ground then fell over. I couldn't believe the Bow never had any damage.

I use to shoot a deer target leaned against my bench in the garage and also had a bag target for a backstop. I did this for years and never had a problem.

Well this day I had one of  those shots that was way off. I shot threw my trolling battery box and into 2 of the cells of a new trolling battery.
PBS  Member

Offline tom cunningham

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 01:25:00 AM »
Years ago I had three targets around the perimeter of my house and I would shoot them while circling the house which sits on a two acre lot of avocado trees. My two young knuckle head german shorthairs would follow me everywhere acting goofy. Just as I'm releasing at target #3 one of them falls into the side of my knee..I shoot high..the arrow glances off the top and launches skyward into the grove where the leaves are about 4 inches thick everywhere. As I'm quickly using some choice words on the dogs I hear a thunk down below. Now I think the arrow has hit a piece of wood somewhere and I might find this arrow where they normally disappear under the thick leaves. Thirty minutes of backtracking, working a grid but no arrow....damn dogs. Ok, one last time I'll look, then I reach the bottom fence line to give up as that has to be too far for it to travel. I'm done, I'm go'in back up. Glancing over that fence as I'm leaving I see my arrow sticking out of the side of my neighbors motorhome another forty yards in...Oops.

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 06:43:00 AM »
Trying a new setup with bare shafts in the basement. One was very nock left, skimmed the target and went through the main  PVC  sewer pipe leading to the drain field.  The axis shaft had a tiny hole in front but punched a big hole out the back. Basement had a gas smell to it until I could get it patched the next day.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 09:13:00 AM »
Shooting long range one day bounced an arrow off the hard ground. It went into a shed that normally had the door closed and punched a hole in a gas can. Now that made a mess.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2013, 10:13:00 AM »
5 years ago I drove the 385 miles to my out of state deer hunt.  When I opened my duffle bag to get dressed for the first nights hunt I discovered I had grabbed the bag with my skiing stuff.    :scared:
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2013, 10:59:00 AM »
Originally posted by joe ashton:
5 years ago I drove the 385 miles to my out of state deer hunt.  When I opened my duffle bag to get dressed for the first nights hunt I discovered I had grabbed the bag with my skiing stuff.     :scared:  
One more good reason for NOT skiing!    :biglaugh:
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »
I knew of a guy that bought a new bow (way too much poundage for a newbie) and set a target up in his garage with the big door as a backstop (aluminum door mind you).  He was going to shoot at his new bag target through the man-door on the side of the garage.  His first shot was about 4 feet high, the arrow went through the garage door and sailed across the street right into the front door of his neighbor.  Being very disgusted with himself for putting a hole thru the garage door, he looked through the hole in the door to see his neighbor lady looking at the arrow sticking out of her front door.  He later asked this neighbor if she saw any kids playing with a bow and arrow in the neighborhood.  He never did "fess" up that he was the guilty shooter.  Luckily no one was hurt.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »
Back in high school first shot with a new wheel bow I had gotten from Bass Pro.  It arrived late and was dark so next morning before school, no sights, bare bow. (just had to shoot it of course) Shot over the bag, no problems...until mid flight I noticed Dad's Boat 10-15 yards behind the bag...Big Problems...I'm still alive, barely.
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Offline DaDVM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2013, 11:55:00 AM »
Growing up on a farm, we have an outdoor LP tank. I had just picked up my first recurve and had set up a target about 30 feet to the left of and 10 yards ahead of the tank thinking, theres no way I could shoot anywhere near the tank. First shot went low and skipped off some gravel and squarely hit the 3/8" copper tubing just below the regulator where the gas leaves the tank, needless to say, no one in the family was happy with their cold shower that night or the next morning.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©