3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Native American Hunters  (Read 860 times)

Online TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Native American Hunters
« on: December 18, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »
I've always loved history. I have always been curious about Native American archery also, and how they hunted. Seems I recall reading years ago that Native American hunters utilized the method hunting from a tree along with other methods.
Just curious if any of you have any knowledge if they hunted from trees.
They used whatever method that would work I'm sure, just curious.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Native American Hunters
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 01:14:00 PM »
Good question!!  Or at least I like it...lol

Thank you for asking it!

I really look forward to reading some knowledgeable replies.

Merry Christmas and God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Online TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 01:40:00 PM »
Merry Christmas to you also Mudd, and everyone. I'm also interested in early European archery and hunting methods.
Guess I'm intrigued by archery's history..period.

Offline juneaulongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Fannin Texas
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 02:02:00 PM »
I have a book by Reginald Laubin called The Indian Tipi.

He also has one called
   American Indian Archery

Click for a preview.

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 02:03:00 PM »
I highly suspect they would have had no qualms about utilizing a handy tree or rock or whatever to position themselves to take game.  Remember these folks were hunting much like we work.  It may or may not have been enjoyable (though presumably it was at least relatively so and certainly honorable), but it was absolutely necessary.  I'm sure that hanging out in trees was one of many techniques they might have used as the situation allowed.  I believe that Heroditus in his "Histories" makes mention of archers hunting from elevated positions in trees.
Silence is golden.

Online TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 02:05:00 PM »
Yep, they were hunting to feed themselves..whatever it took.

Offline possumridge137

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 03:39:00 PM »
I have read that they would also have drives and would also cover themselves in the skins of the animals that they were hunting.
“If I were ever prosecuted for my religion, I truly hope there would be enough evidence to convict me.” - John Wooden

Offline Ravensong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 06:18:00 PM »
Well, it depends on what tribe. Myself, I'm Chickasaw. But I can tell you that a lot of that knowledge has been lost. Most of the hunting lore revolves around the spiritual belief systems regarding hunting, as well as taboos. The actual methods vary. The Plains peoples often had a "buffalo jump" where a herd of buffalo could be stampeded off a cliff. Also, it was a different world before 1492. There were less people and more animals and no firearms. Game was not as skittish then, more than likely. Many tribes also did not rely solely on hunting since they were agrarian. One deer goes a long way dumped into succotash.

Now, around here, the Navajo have quite a few customs regarding hunting. Don't do this, make sure you do that, avoid this, don't say thus-and-so. One thing that was done was staking out a waterhole. This is high desert and sooner or later, animals come to water.
An arrow only knows the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline Ravensong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 06:31:00 PM »
Also, there's a certain issue many people don't understand. A failed hunt might not call the method into question. What might be suspected is the correct prayers were not made or a pre-hunt taboo was violated. For example, in some beliefs, maybe someone stepped over the weapon. Or the animal was in some way offended or insulted and therefore refused to consent to feed the people. If one guy staked out a waterhole and had success, his "medicine", so to speak, was working for him and he made the correct prayers and observed the right taboos. If another had no success, he might not call the method into question but suspect maybe someone got a hold of his weapon at some point or he violated a taboo.

Spiritual beliefs are very deeply attached to hunting in many tribes and often cannot be separated. Even the methods will have a spiritual significance to them. So, in a sense, the religious beliefs are actually part of the method. For example, if someone is going to go up a tree, it will probably have to be only a certain kind of tree but not other trees.
An arrow only knows the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 07:25:00 PM »
A common misconception is that all the areas of the country had more animals.  Michigan, for example, has way more deer now than 300 years ago.

Here in WA things looked much different. Miles and miles of unbroken  dense forest existed in much of the state.  Elk were more common at lower elevations before we pushed them out of the valleys.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 07:58:00 PM »
I have two classic books about Native American hunting in California:  Hunting with the bow and Arrow, by Pope, and Ishi in Two Worlds, by Krobler.  As far as early European archery, and the history of archery in general, I can recommend The Grey Goose Wing, by Heath.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 08:07:00 PM »
One of my theories is that a lot of deadfall could be gathered up to make a huge funnel and the animals driven into it then dispatched.  There would be little or no evidence of these funnels after a hundred or so years because the wood would have rotted away.  The Inuit make stone men (inukshuk) and these were probably used in the same way to direct caribou herds.

Don't forget the importance of small animals, I'm sure mice, gophers etc. we're a food source.  Rabbits are easy to snare and still are to this day for food.  Although we like to romanticise archery hunting I also suspect that the bow was a very short range weapon and may have been more useful in a drive than for stalking animals.

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »
Interesting thread - never had really thought about it before.
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
I have David zeisbergers book on history eastern indian. A Christian lived with some tribes and documented everything. It's all in that book. Really neat info in there. Has one of jack paluh painting on the front of it.

Honestly. The did what ever they had to do to kill stuff to eat. The most interesting thing was there cooking. Here we think a rabbit on a stick. No... They was good cooks and  even made sweat houses for when they got sick it's all in that book
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 08:40:00 PM »
I'm part Native American and I am a hunter . Does that count ?   :rolleyes:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2013, 09:02:00 PM »
This is an interesting subject to me too. Not only the hunting methods but anything about their daily lives. I live in an area once occupied by the Occaneechi a sect of the Saponi tribe. There have been archaelogical digs along the Little River near my home and along the Eno. I have found stone knives and points in my yard and on past hunting grounds while out hunting that were well within range of the known camps. It stirs something in my heart to find a stone point while out hunting. Maybe its sadness that they were displaced by us but anyhow I hold them in high regard and want to know more about them.
I found a archaelogical compilation of one of the dig sites in which animal remains were found and numbered by species. Every known animal, bird or fish from this area was found but interestingly certain animals were found more than others which implies a preference. Another interesting thing was the discovery of fetal skeletal remains of whitetail deer. This implies that pregnant doe deer were taken during the end of their pregnancy which may mean they were easier to drive and dispatch at the head of a funnel by anyone in the tribe. Archery may not have been the primary way of collecting food.
Member NCBA

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2013, 10:32:00 PM »
I have quite a few prints by Jack Paluh. My favorite is this one, Whitetail Ambush. The deer drive is a method that is still used today by modern day hunters.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 11:14:00 PM »
If you guys are that interested in all the aspects of there life you will like that book I said about. Here is something.... Now think about this and remember this book was originally written by a Christian who lived with the Indians. in the book it says about a great bear that was respected that walked on its hind legs..... Yeah that's what I was thinking too... Maybe those guys on tv aren't so crazy after all. Squatch!!!!!

Oh and those dogs they had, they sometimes ate them lol
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2013, 11:31:00 PM »
Na. They saw Ron in his past life ... Hey Ron how many mountain men  used the bow?   Keep your top not on
Dan Breen

Online TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2013, 01:17:00 AM »
Lot of interesting comments.  I Ajax never thought about hunting from trees as one of their methods of hunting, but I think they used whatever method that it took to eat.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©