3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Native American Hunters  (Read 859 times)

Online TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Native American Hunters
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2013, 01:52:00 AM »
Well, that's what I get for typing on the Kindal Fire..ignore the Ajax word I typed in, dont know where that came from. lol

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2013, 04:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by TGbow:
I've always loved history. I have always been curious about Native American archery also, and how they hunted...
Good post, I think about this every time I bowhunt...
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2013, 09:45:00 AM »
My favorite painting/print EVER Ron.

I remember first seeing it way back when and saying, "I just can't spend $125 on that".  Oh how I wish I could go back to that day!      :knothead:
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline Flying Dogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »
Very interesting comments from Ravensong. The Kiowa's I knew for a short time when I was in Oklahoma also commented on how important spiritual beliefs were for tribal customs regarding hunting and making war.

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2013, 01:33:00 PM »
I have head that the native americans average kill shot with a bow and arrow was less than 5 yards...which tells you just how great they were at hunting.

Online TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2013, 01:39:00 PM »
I think they probably hunted from trees at times but I think most of their hunting was done from ground level..as stated, at close range.

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2013, 02:07:00 PM »
I find it remarkable that obtaining information on all of the different native groups is so difficult. The native americans were very different from tribe to tribe. While Common Core, an education guideline, requires the study of pop stars, true native american history is not taught anywhere. One of my great grandmothers was Ojibwe, the rest of my ancestors were Dutch immigrants. They would have all died if it was not for her knowledge.  Stories have it, that they were scared of her and she ran the clan.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2013, 03:06:00 PM »
Redshaft said

Now think about this and remember this book was originally written by a Christian who lived with the Indians. in the book it says about a great bear that was respected that walked on its hind legs...  
It must have been referring to "Makwa Manitou" the Spirit Bear

He's big medicine

pavan, my Great grandmother on my Dad's French Canadian side was Ojibwa too. I have some pictures of her from my grandmothers photo album
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2013, 04:11:00 PM »
No people have ever been called by so many different names.  They were different associated bands of a common group.  Apparently it was the common practice of mating with different bands, they understood the need for genetic diversity. The old family stories has it that great gramma was excedingly strict about the family only getting married to those that were in no way relatives. Even today, around here it comes up. Things like husbands and wives saying, "That cannot be your Great Grandpa, because that's my Great Grandpa." Humans must have genetic memories, because the Ojibwas were canoe builders.  Nothing feels more right to me than a canoe. When I was a kid we had big wall maps in the Christian School.  I would stand on a chair to get a better look and I studied northern Minnesota and Canada and could imagine travelling from lake to lake and hunting moose with a canoe. I had no knowledge of canoe areas and wilderness areas, but it seemed to me at the time that those tight lake regions up north had everything that I wanted.  After having some extremely close encounters with moose and bears, I have no desire to kill them with a bow. Perhpas, the band my great gramma came from were not all that much into bow hunting moose and bear.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2013, 06:22:00 PM »
My uncle is a Native American historian, he has his specialty as well. He knows more about their weapons, hunting, glyphics, and all other stuff than I could type...  I love hearing his recent research.  

If you knew how they really hunted, it would probably change your opinion about everything you've likely heard or been taught. As stated, it was all about survival, yet they did have amazing skills for those hunts that resemble ours. Some tribes made their kids at age 3 shoot arial targets tossed up before they would be fed dinner...

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2013, 06:42:00 PM »
I think it's genetic as well.  As per username, I'm Native as well and I'm not at home if I'm not both near water and in the woods.  We used trees if we needed them. "Playing fair" is a statement uttered only by those who do not solely rely on their hunts for food.  It's a concept invented by people who have supermarkets, restaurants and fast food available and have an interest in providing for themselves anyway, but could just as easily eat something else.  Natives would set fires to drive animals towards hunters, they'd stampede them off cliffs, and there was no concept of a legal hunting season.  They were very smart when it came to surviving, but often their hunting methods and our own are very, very different.  

As for the bow, my arm is not complete without a bow.  Seriously.  Even while I'm recovering, I'm making stuff for my own or others' hunts.  I literally dream of venison.  It's odd-my wife says it's kind of like being married to a hunter-gatherer plucked from time.  She's cool with it though.  She likes the idea of someone so interested in doing for themselves.

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2013, 06:45:00 PM »
I had this book as a kid. The picture always stayed with me. I was fascinated by it. Now, it's my inspiration.

60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline Wolfshead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2013, 05:27:00 AM »
That is so cool!
I had that same book!
I loved that book and I carried it with me every where.
My favorite parts were about the Penobscot.
If I remember correctly they were the closest Northeastern Indians talked about in the book
GREAT Book!
I remember painting one of my homemade bows the same as the one in the picture....
Bama Expediton Hunter Hybrid Longbow
58", 52# @ 27"
Bama Hunter Longbow
64", 45# @ 27"
"You only need sit still long enough, in some attractive spot in the woods, that all it's inhabitants may exhibit themselves to you by turns"
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2013, 08:18:00 AM »
Being sustenance hunters, I imagine they killed anyway they could - bow, arrows, clubs, rocks, sticks, stones, water, cliffs, from trees, etc, etc...

Offline colav

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2013, 08:59:00 AM »
If you have any interest in Native American history, I'd highly recommend "Summer of the Comanche Moon" (I only have a couple of chapters left to read).  Great book.  Most of the plains tribes hunted on horseback, and their archery skills were incredible.

Until I started reading this book, I didn't realize that the Comanche were actually able to reverse westward expansion for a decade or so.

Offline colav

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2013, 09:04:00 AM »
^^^

That should have read as "Empire of the Summer Moon"  by S.C. Gynne.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2013, 05:27:00 PM »
More times than not..... Hunting was a "group" endevor. (as in Ron's painting)

Many things were also in account such as prayers, "medicine" and such. Remember, the Indians hunted for a living. Groups could be just a few, or many... Usualy hunts consisted of organized drives. However, anytime they were in the woods, they were "hunting"... Either for animal or human prey. Looking for sign, both 4 & 2 footed, was a daily habit. Their lives depended on it. When they came upon game, it was killed, for they always needed to eat.

As for the fetal deer... Hunting was a yearlong endevor, done as needed, and pretty much daily. The does were not targeted because they were "slow"... They were killed because they were "meat". The unborn fawns, were the prize in the CrackerJack box. (Nothing was wasted)
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline William F. Adams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2013, 06:13:00 PM »
Excellent book on this _The American Indian as Hunter_

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©