3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tuning Dilemma! 5575 too weak- 7595 too stiff????  (Read 1178 times)

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
Tuning Dilemma! 5575 too weak- 7595 too stiff????
« on: December 18, 2013, 02:46:00 PM »
So I am not necessarily new at Trad with 25 yrs+ . But I have a bizarre dilemma.

I posted on here this past year how my shooting has changed a little working on positive/solid anchor, new type of glove, and new string.

I shoot a 62" BW SA2, 55# at 30.5" draw. Depending on cold, position etc I draw 30.25 to 31.  

For the last 6 years or so I have been shooting a 31.5" GT 5575 with 240 gr up front.  All seemed well enough until last season and this summer I was not comfortable with the way certain arrows came out of the bow. I went back to the drawing board with a bareshaft.  I posted during that time how surprised I was that things were really off.  Compared to the past, I now had to cut my 5575 down to a mere 30.75" (Barely enough hang over- though now a built-in draw check ! LOL)  I also had to drop the point wt. down to just 170gr.  This all seemed to shoot fine though it now felt like I was walking a fence a bit, foc was down and the shaft still seemed a little weak at times.  

All during this time I would notice that occasional days and arrows would seem to go high- even a little out of control.  Honestly, I just figured my trad days were getting tougher as I am getting older.  I figured my form must be starting to suck a bit.  

So I had terrible penetration on a shot this fall, and I began to wonder again about wt. up front, my shooting etc.  

Yesterday I went out with some broadheads and did some shooting.  Oh boy!  What a mess.  Though I practiced with them in early fall, I was just in shock how some of them would just take off high and left.  Out of control!  I am glad I did not go hunting this week!!

Back to the drawing board, and sure enough- 5575s are way too weak.  A perfect executed shot may yield a good shot, but routine shooting was all over the place. I can not cut them down anymore, and I can not imagine going lighter on the point.

NOW THE BIZARRO thing!  I pulled out some GT 7595s I had and started from zero.  But this is just way too weird. . . . wondering what some of you have found???  

In bare shafting and sending some arrows through a piece of cardboard to see what the shaft was doing I am at a full 32" 7595 shaft with 470gr up front!  That is accurate- 470!!!   And I have yet to make a "too weak" shaft.  If anything, I still get some nock right on occasional shots.  And fletched shafts can look a little nose diving at times.  

Does any of this make sense to any of you??  Summary:  30.75" 5575 with 170gr up front is still too weak.  32" 7595 with 470gr up front is too stiff.

I am not sure what to do.   No doubt the bomber heavy 7595 shoot quiet and on mark out to 15 yds.  Beyond that- I am screwed if I have just the slightest short draw.  I also think that much wt. up front messes with the nock pt. ht.  

Thoughts??
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tuning Dilemma! 5575 too weak- 7595 too stiff????
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 03:03:00 PM »
The thing with GT Traditionals is that they jump straight from .400 spine to .300 spine...there is a common in between carbon spine of .340...I like the Easton Full Metal Jacket in that situation

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 03:05:00 PM »
I would stay with the 5575 s and lighten the point weight still. Maybe 145... 125. You have to do what will work.  Also. Maybe fletched and flying the arrows won't react the same way through (cardboard?) have someone with a good eye, watch the arrow flight. It may be you're paying too much attention to the paper method. Good luck and keep us posted!

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 03:09:00 PM »
weird. I draw the same length as you but at 62lbs ff skiny string but im not cut to center.  5575 worked well for me with 175 in front.  first thing I would try is a double nock set as this helped me, just read about it two days ago.  then start playing with your brace height with the 5575s.  I tried the 7595s and had the same result as you way to stiff.  
I suspect you are getting a false reading on the 5575s.  
let me know what you find out.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 03:28:00 PM »
I find dramatic jumps in spine between 500, 400 and 300.  A lot more than the calculators and charts would indicate.  

Given you can't get the 7595 working with that much weight up front though, I wonder if you are really weak with the 5575.  All the FOC you get with the 7595 cold be a big factor in how it acts.  I know a lot of FOC has had me scratching my head before when looking at the arrow and bare shaft flight. All that weight just kind of drags that shaft like a string on a rock.

Try some bare shafting or paper tuning with a fletched 5575 arrow to see what is going on with that one. You may be over stiff and not weak.  I have shoot 30" plus 5575 shafts with more weight than that out of a BW 53@29. I think it liked 275 up front believe it or not.  Pile on more weight and raise your nock a ways to make sure you are not getting a weak looking kick off the shelf and then see what just point weight does to the flight keeping a high nock in the beginning.

Also try a bottom nock to make sure your arrow is not sliding down and kicking off the rest or tracking on the rest material edge. That can cause a lot of false weak and erratic flight issues.

If the 5575 is too weak for the point weight or arrow weight you need, build out the side plate a little.  1/16" will make a big difference.  Even a change from soft to hard plate makes a noticeable change.

If you just can't use the 5575 or the 7595, try the CE250, 340 or better yet get some AD trads.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 03:46:00 PM »
I've had the same issue.  ICS bowhunter 340s sorted it out fine.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 03:58:00 PM »
I need 3555s for my mid-40# bows and can shoot them with lighter tips out of my 50# bow, so I can't help all that much with 5575s. I do question a couple of statements, though.

You said the shots are high and left. Assuming (yeah, I know that's dangerous) you are right handed, that would indicate too stiff I would think.

And then you said they are "all over the place". I would think that would indicate a form/release problem, as my too stiff/too weak arrows still group fairly well, just not where I'm looking.

Just something to think about.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 04:40:00 PM »
This is one of the reasons I switched to wood.  I have a long draw also and got tired of messing with tuning carbons....

I would think you should be able to get the 5575's to work though.

Also, when I was trying to get perfect arrow flight my form went to hell!  I was trying to see the flight of the arrow so bad until I'd pick my head up the instant I dropped the string.

I'd go with what you had working before and start checking all the basic stuff... brace height, nock position, side plate...one at a time though.

Lastly, if you still can't get good flight- call Steve @ Surewood and get a test pack!
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 05:00:00 PM »
Thanks much guys. I have racked my brain and shoulders on this (too much shooting!).

I like the idea of .340 spine so I can increase the total and foc wt.  May try that later.

Also- for your info. rather than build a frame for paper tuning I have found that I can place a large cardboard box a few feet in front of my big round bale and shoot through the bottom.  The tear on the cardboard tells me how the arrow is flying.    

Conclusion for now:  I pulled out the 5575s and dropped to a 125 gr. head with alum insert.  Though I do not like the low foc- they shoot pretty darn good.  Actually- makes for a super fast and flat arrow.  If I keep this route, I will need to re-visit the best penetrating heads.  Back to 2 blades I surmise.  Still wish I could bust through a shoulder blade though. . . . another frustrating story. . .

Anyone need 2 doz. GT7595 blems- 3 slightly used (2 fletched)and 3 wrapped and crested.  ??  The rest untouched.  $90 shipped.

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »
.340's are what you need bud....

Try the Beman Bowhunters if you want to try them out and spend much $$

I've found them to be between the GT 55/75 and 75/95
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 05:22:00 PM »
The Goldtip Black 7595's are 340 deflection, since you already have the GT components.
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Online katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 06:06:00 PM »
Gold tip ultralights or velocity come in 340.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 06:32:00 PM »
Those 55/75's would would take 100grn point so I would say you are to weak with what you have up front.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline [email protected]

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 06:48:00 PM »
I am no tuning expert but I have been at this for a while.

Remember you have been using your set-up for SIX YEARS...and now all of a sudden, it does not work.  Something has changed, most likely not you.  Do you really think you would have put up with crappy arrow flight for that long?  Not with your experience!

For what ever reason I find carbons to be extremely sensetive to nock height and brace height.  Very minor adjustments really do have a magnified effect on arrow flight.

I suspect it something very simple.  Go back to your fundamentals.

And just to polish up your form, you might consider some training with a clicker.  It demands a consistent draw length.  And you said you have about a 3/4" variance depending on....  That could be as much as 3 lb difference;something to think about.

I have been there, its so very frustrating!

It might be worth while to go back to your "old" way and see what happens.

Good luck, I feel for you.

Bob
Beware of all enterprises that require a new suit.

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

Offline Peckerwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 07:20:00 PM »
I have found that some GT 7595 blems are way out of spine. The last doz. I bought did not have 2 arrows that would shoot the same. I would try some non blem shafts or switch to another brand shafts.
NO matter where you go there you  are !

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »
I've got a pile of. 340s here.  Would be happy to send you a few to try.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2013, 08:02:00 PM »
Would believe the ICS 300's would be a viable choice.

Estimate that the following specs would place you in the ball park. Note: Based on 12 strand FF string

ICS 300
Length ~ 31 5/8"s
Insert - 50 Grains
Point ~ 200 Grains
Total ~ 570 Grains
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 08:37:00 PM »
I had a similar experience with one recurve.  .340 arrow sharts were the answer.  Good luck!

Offline Lineman72

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
Being new to trad for a little over a year I ended up buy all different kinds of arrows. I purchased some beeman carbons. Shot the heck out of them. As you know when your new to something, you dont always hit where your looking :-) anyways I was getting better, arrow placement getting tighter, form, release crisper. But then i noticed my arrows acting somewhat different. Thought it was my newbie form or something. Then i saw this youtube vid on carbon arrows. To always check them. I didnt know they could go bad. Well with me hitting rocks,plywood, fence posts, yadda yadda yadda, I ended up breaking them down. I did a flex test on my arrows and out of the original dozen 8, yes 8 snapped on me. I was verylucky not to get any broken arrows in my bow arm as i have seen. I cant say that my experience is pertinent to yours, but when I bought new carbons, my shots got tighter again. Abuse, neglect, regular shooting, whatever the case may have been, it def took its toll on the way my arows were flying. Just my 2 cents. Good luck, keep us posted
Form form form
Fun fun fun

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by damascusdave:
The thing with GT Traditionals is that they jump straight from .400 spine to .300 spine...there is a common in between carbon spine of .340...I like the Easton Full Metal Jacket in that situation

DDave
this is the reason I quit the GT Trads and went back to the black ones at .340-- problem solved and shooting great.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©