3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tuning Dilemma! 5575 too weak- 7595 too stiff????  (Read 1179 times)

Offline Daniel G. Banting

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tuning Dilemma! 5575 too weak- 7595 too stiff????
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2013, 09:18:00 PM »
You will find that the "Nugent" GT 7595 are in fact .340" spine.
If I keep my level of appreciation higher than my level of expectation, I have a good day.
Ray Wiley Hubbard

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2013, 09:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Daniel G. Banting:
You will find that the "Nugent" GT 7595 are in fact .340" spine.
bingo.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
I posted earlier about my gt trad experience and after I broke them all I got arrow dynamics wont be buying anything else

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2013, 12:54:00 AM »
Biatholon- WOW.  I would gladly pay for shipping!  Would they be long enough?  I really need 31" or better if possible.

I will PM you.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2013, 06:07:00 AM »
"Though I practiced with them in early fall, I was just in shock how some of them would just take off high and left."

SOME is the key word there to me Dan.

I'd pick up some Easton FMJs (or any Easton shaft). Their quality and consistency is head and shoulders above all other brands combined from my experience.

Start with full length 340s and trim down if necessary. I leave mine full length with a 30" draw and tune between bows just with point weight.

Online BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2013, 07:30:00 AM »
The Black widow bows are cut way past center other wise you would have no problem shooting the 5575's out of them. Try building the side plate out a little. Should be able to put most if not all of your weight back up front too.

The .340 shaft is a good one for your set up because of the need for a stiffer spine due to the cut past center. Contrary to what we used to think, the nugent and camo 7595's are not .340. They were mistakenly listed that way on their site that way but that has been corrected.

Whenever you are shooting arrows that are just on the edge of proper tuning, you will experience those occasional flyers as they are more susceptible to form errors. Not nearly the case when you are well tuned.

If you find that you need a .340 shaft, your best money would be spent on CX heritage 350's. They are super tough and won't break the bank like some of the other shafts mentioned.
The bowhunters are ok, but really  just a cheep alternative to their otherwise overpriced shafts.

I sell every shaft mentioned in this thread (except arrow dynamics)and many more and I choose goldtip first and CX second and I get more free ones than I can loose or break in a year.

I wouldn't worry about your gold tips being blems either. That concern is unfounded.

You ever need more help, give us a call and we'll get you right without spending any money if possible.

Thanks, bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2013, 07:38:00 AM »
Thanks again guys.  Some great input.  

One thing I noted from many responses here is that these shafts may just be more temperamental than I realized- that really frustrates me.  Frankly, part of the reason I shoot trad is it really is so much easier to manage than the techno world. If my set up is that sensitive I really do want to scrap it.  There is no way anyone can be perfectly consistent. As mentioned- even on anchor- just the way you hold your fingers can change an anchor easily by .50".  I turned back to trad over 25 years ago because of its simplicity. To me it was like shooting or throwing a ball;  off balance some times, hand-eye coordination, fluid, not so technical. . . etc.

Enough of my philosophising. . . sorry.  Going to try to make it work for the end of the season here.  But .340 and new shafts sounds like my next trial.  

Thanks again guys.  This on-line community continues to prove its invaluable nature.

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2013, 07:44:00 AM »
:clapper:

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2013, 10:20:00 AM »
Thanks too Big Jim.  I bought all the shafts I shoot from you.  I also put in a decent size order from you the other day to help a friend set up his 3 boys with trad.  Debbie and Brent were AWESOME!!   Your response here reveals again why we are blessed to have you as a sponsor and business.

Dan Rudman (still in KS!   :)   )

Online BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2013, 10:54:00 AM »
We make changes for the better and sometimes not so much. Equipment has to change with them.

thanks and good luck, bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2013, 12:03:00 PM »
I shoot 30" Victory VAP 350s out of my Morrison Cheyenne, 62", 45#@28" with Max 1 carbon/foam limbs.  The arrows have a 43 gr insert and 200 gr broadhead up front.  The combo weighs 483 gr and I get great flight out of the arrows.  You need something in the .340-.350 spine range.  Are you shooting a different string material and thread count than you did 5 or 6 years ago?

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2013, 12:06:00 PM »
Jump off the deep end Dan ... get some 70/75 woodies, they shoot great out of all my 55# bows ... that is when I could pull back a 55# bow
 Happy Holidays, Ken

ps ... that combo has had complete pass throughs on moose, elk, deer, bear, caribou, and rolled over a few turkeys too !!

:archer2:
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Fanto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2013, 05:38:00 PM »
Hi

i have the same problem with my caribow slynx 59# @28.

5575s cut to 29 will carry no more than 250gr. 7595s at 31" wont fly with 375gr.

I suggest you move to GT Hunter XTs, .340 spine at full length. should tune wuth 300-400gr

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2013, 05:58:00 PM »
Hey Dan I was having the same problem. I went to the CE heritage 250. They work better. Did those new strings cause these fits?
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2013, 06:16:00 PM »
Ryan- you remember me? Great. You know- that is one of the things I did change. Went to the new strings last year.  I sought to slow it down a bit by putting on 4 total silencers.  Not sure. . . ??

WJ- still 16 strand as older string. May be a bit more skinny.  Sought to slow it down a bit with extra silencers.  ??

Ken- tried wood in the earlier years, but with an almost 31" draw I had a hard time finding consistent woodies.  Also, when I did get some to shoot the spine eventually weakened.  I just want arrows that I do not have to mess with!

Thanks for ALL the input guys.  Sounds like others have had some of this same conflict.  

Can not hardly believe it but Biathlonman (Brad) is sending me some .340s to try.  

You guys have been awesome.  Keep you posted.  Maybe even have the opp to post a late season  beast pic here.    :)      

Dan in KS

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2013, 09:28:00 AM »
I didn't read all of the thread and I should, I know I'd learn something..

The shafts might have changed spine but I've had good luck with GT Blems..

Maybe build out your sideplate some and keep trying the 55/75's..  Sounds like the 75/95's are way stiff, no way I'd used 4-500 grains up front..

I struggle all the time with back tension and a good release.. If you happen to pluck the string occassionally all bets are off when you are bare shafting..

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2013, 10:33:00 AM »
Of course I remember you Dan. The string caused it. I've had the same thing happen. I bet the. 340's work!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline stickem1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2013, 07:00:00 PM »
340s sound like the answer. I shoot ICS Hunter 340s out of my Fedora 560. 61# at 30". They are 31 1/2"with 300 up front.

Online Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
Get yourself some tapered arrow dynamics traditionals. And you troubles are over! Tweak the point weight a little. It won't take long. The Black arrow dynamics tend to give the best arrow weight for whitetails. In the 630 Gr finished arrow range. The Wood grain shafts are 50 gr heavier.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2013, 09:18:00 PM »
I shoot a very similar weight and dl as you and I'm using the 5575s.  I put a 3" aluminum footing on them with 225 up front.  They are way weak without the footing.  Total arrow weight is on the light end, but they fly great and are still heavy enough.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©