3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What is the best pack you have used?  (Read 1111 times)

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What is the best pack you have used?
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2013, 09:01:00 PM »
Eberlestock J 34.

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2013, 09:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dmaxshawn:
Eberlestock J 34.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2013, 09:06:00 PM »
I have a Kifaru UL 3700, it weighs in at 2.8lbs., this pack with all the add on pockets and such is aobut 5-5500 cu. inches and still weighs less than 4lbs. it's a pleasure to carry loaded all day, and you can hunt and shoot with it on if need be, unfortunately, lt's not made anymore, but if you find a used one, grab it.

Many packs mentioned above are very good, try your best to try them out and see which one's fit your needs.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »
mystery ranch packs are the best i have ever seen.  awesome company to work with as well!!
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Online Jorge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2013, 10:31:00 AM »
Are not as technicals as  the modern ultralight brands but check the packs from Bisongear. My lumbar pack is the best that i have never seen, better than the typicals from Cabelas, Basspro or Eberlestock. I can imagine that the bigger models are excellent products. Kuiu makes another excellent pack as Stone Glacier, and both have their packs in non camo.

Offline shdwhwk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2013, 12:02:00 PM »
Mystery Ranch   :thumbsup:  

Daypack/up-to-3day/meathauler = Bighorn (what I use)

More than 3days+daypack+meathauler = Metcalf w/NiceFrame

100% Made in USA

http://www.mysteryranch.com/hunting

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2013, 03:40:00 PM »
Dana Designs Terraplane.....the company is now Mystery Ranch!!   Great packs
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2013, 07:01:00 PM »

Very, very happy with my mystery ranch.  I went with the NICE frame and 7500 bag.  I got the load sling and that is one great piece of kit!  I'd like to pick up a crew cab bag for it for shorter trips afield.  the 7500 compresses well, but I think I will like the versatility of the crew cab bag.
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Offline beendare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by njloco:
 Kifaru UL 3700,  unfortunately, lt's not made anymore,

I tested that pack early on....barrels real bad with meat or a heavy load. It doesn't surprise me they don't make it anymore....

Lots of 8-9lb packs listed....when a guy finds the right 5# pack...a light goes off.
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »
probably not the highest quality pack on the planet, but the badlands 2200 just always fit me like a glove. even under heavy load. but, when I lost weight I got to where the belt wouldn't tighten, so, its no more...
is it September yet??

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2013, 10:47:00 PM »
My Badlands Sacrifice is my favorite all around pack now due to lightness and versatility for 2-4 days and still being able to carry some meat out.

The Aether 85 from Osprey is the most comfortable pack I have ever worn especially the the custom fitted waist belt option they have.  not in camo but it is light, strong and very very comfortable.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2013, 11:17:00 AM »
beendare,

I guess you  didn't  use  the tie offs  inside  the ul 3700 to keep it from barreling. They stopped  making  it,  because  people  didn't  pay attention to  the  repair  instructions if  they  needed  it,  but  would  just  send  it  in  for  repair, its still a great  pack, especially for  these  old  bones.

Offline FJTOYMAN

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2013, 12:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by [email protected]:
I think you need to consider Oregon Packworks in your decision making.  Great pack!  Add or subtract as your needs change.

Made here in Bend, OR

Bob
X2.
I've had both nimrod and badlands. The versatility of the OPW system is awesome! From multiple over night stays to day hunts, it's all I use.
Plus Karl is a Traditional Bowhunter  and does a lot to support our sport.

Give them a look.  http://www.oregonpackworks.com

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2013, 12:21:00 PM »
I have not seen one that does everything.  I have some favorites, but none that are perfect.

ChuckC

Offline beendare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2013, 01:15:00 PM »
nj,
 I tested the original prototype- no internal straps in that. Those straps came much later but by then too late. Not trying to blast your pack- glad you like it. I get to play with many of these- just relaying info is all.Put 80# of boned out elk meat and pack it 3 miles in yours and then do the same with something like their bikini frame and tell me what you think....I already know the answer....grin

If you notice, much of Kifaru stuff is gravitating to the Bikini frame. Kifaru has built a name on packing heavy loads and those frames just plain do a real good job of that....
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2013, 03:40:00 PM »
Although it is probably available now, I would like something like that Bikini frame with a smaller (read.. light weight) pack at the small of my back for carrying hunting stuff, with a stowable fold out bag with lashing points etc to carry meat, if that happens.  I don't need the bag open all the time, just to walk home some meat.

I have used a smaller Cabelas pack with a heavier game bag stuffed inside and out the top to hold meat for the carry out before.  The pack was not designed for it and hurt, but it carried the meat.

Oh, and for less than $500 ( or $400, or $300)

ChuckC

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2013, 09:10:00 PM »
beendare,

Oddly enough, my UL is one of the earlier models also and possibly one of the prototypes, but it does have the straps, mine fits my purposes perfectly as I couldn't carry 80lbs. anymore on my back,  but if I could I would have a Bikini frame, it looks like the cats meow. I think if one is going to try and do any light weight or ultra light weight back packing, the UL's were a real good start.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2013, 10:04:00 PM »
I've gone thru a LOT of packs. The next one will be the new Kifaru Nomad on a Bikini frame. They just introduced it yesterday; kind of a Mystery Ranch Crew Cab on steroids and at half the weight. My last Kifaru was a KU5200. I could not get used to the flimsy material when it was not loaded up full. It hauled a heavy load great but was not the "one".

Anyway, you really need to try the different packs.  I look at many of the pics here and remember my experiences with the same packs and how quickly they went down the road.

I have one of the original US made Badlands 2200s and the newer models do not compare. I'd not ever have another. Ebelestocks have some great "features" but once you get a heavy load do not carry it well. I have tried THREE different models and they were great until you had to haul meat.

I've had a few Sitka packs and still have a Bivy 45. Another that is fantastic until it really gets loaded down.  It is SO good though for hunts like my recent mountain lion hunt, I keep it around for a heavy duty daypack.

One pack that has really, really impressed me is the KUIU Icon. I have somehow assembled two frames, two 1850 bags, a 3000, a 6000, and a 7200 bag for them. They are just about perfect for organization and do carry a heavy load well. I just do not have enough confidence in the fancy carbon fiber frame to trust it 100% yet.  Having a failure in the middle of nowhere is just not an option. I'd like that feeling to go away but only time will tell.

For   ME  , the undisputed champ, even though they are heavy as heck are my Mystery Ranch packs. I   DO  have 100% confidence in them and they can haul ANY load. I have a Crew Cab, Metcalf, and 6500.   Stone Glacier looks like it has a lot of the MR features with much less weight and is on my list to try.

Most guys try to go cheap and suffer. I will never forget the first training load I put in my Mystery Ranch. I suffered many, many years needlessly!

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2013, 11:44:00 PM »
I bought a new $75-$100 pack every year trying to find the right "cheap" one.  I wish I had done my research and bought a Kifaru right from the get go.  Probably would have saved me many hundreds of dollars in the long run.

My first Kifaru was a used Spike Camp that I was able to sell for the same price I paid (1/2 of retail), then after liking that one so much, I was talked into buying...didn't take much convincing... a New Kifaru Late Season Legacy pack, and have no reason to purchase another for as long as I will ever be able to backpack.  Comfort is superb, fit is fantastic, lightweight compared to many others, solid construction, awesome waist belt and able to carry a fair amount of weight comfortably.  Carbon fiber stays fit my long torso, so the pack actually fits me, and does NOT cause any discomfort like I have experienced with all the other cheaper ones I had bought.

From reading all the responses, one thing is clear...There is no 1 perfect pack, only the pack that you prefer.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2013, 12:31:00 AM »
My Blue Widow works for me. With the super spike duffle, I have plenty of capacity. Used as a day pack, I can carry all I need to break down a moose and pack it out.

I didn't particularly care for the waist belt buckle, so I swapped it out with a spare Kelty Cam-Lock buckle I had. Made a great pack even better.
Chuck

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©