3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What's the pros and cons of static limbs?  (Read 883 times)

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
What's the pros and cons of static limbs?
« on: December 19, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »
Soon to order my dream   :bigsmyl:  bow and I'm considering stadic limbs (only have had full working limbs) what's the diffence   :help:  the good and the bad.  The bow I'm looking at static 7-73/8 brace>>>---> full working limbs 71/4-73/4 brace. Are there any consers   :dunno:  with a low brace hight?
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What's the pros and cons of static limbs?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »
do a search on static and you should bring up a thread from earlier this year that covered this subject very well.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 08:07:00 PM »
I've got a Stalker Coyote with static limbs and really like it. Its the only static limb bow I've ever owned and I think all recurves that I buy in the future will be static tip. From my experience they out perform dynamic limb bows in every category and I've found no disadvantages and no problems of any kind.
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Offline Cari-bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 08:56:00 PM »
Two things on the con side,first you will need a stringer which is the biggest problem for me as a hunter. This only means you need one with you in case you need to replace a string.
The second is if you can't get use to early weight in the draw cycle and then a very smooth draw over the rest of the draw. This for me is no problem because the benefit is a faster bow.
The stringer really is the only thing and I'm willing to make that sacrifice for all the benefits.
Abe

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
I own 2 Kwyk Styks, an Eagle Wing Steppe Eagle, and owned an RER XR.

I'm completely sold on the static limb concept.

There's only one working limb recurve I plan to buy in the future and that is a BW PCH just because I've wanted one for a while now.  Wish they came in static tip.

That aside, the statics I've owned have all been much quieter and faster than working limb recurves I own(ed).

Almost makes me think about getting rid of my longbows...LOL....almost, but not quite!
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 12:13:00 AM »
Read Abe's stringer comment.  Then read it again.  Never ever use anything but the bowyer recomended stringer on a static tip.  I used one not recomemded for my bow once.  All I got to keep was the riser.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline JDunlap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 01:02:00 AM »
I have an rer xr and there are no cons. An "almost" con is some early draw weight...but the late "let off" more than makes up for it. Quiet, fast, smooth on the draw. I have no problems stringing mine the non-recommended way.
Sandy Biles Scorpion TD RC; 54@28
RER XR Static Tip RC; 50@28
JC Optimus riser/Uukha EX1EVO2 [email protected]

Offline Broke N Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 02:19:00 PM »
I have an RER static recurve.. 58 inch at 46lbs and it is one of the nices, smoothest drawing, fastest bows I've ever owned..just a joy to shoot..I'm convinced the modern day statics are the way to go..
Stand at the crossroads and look, seek for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is,and walk in it, and you will find rest for your soul....Scroll of Joshua

Offline Broke N Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 02:33:00 PM »
But it is a very good idea to use a stringer..I have broken a tip off another bow..it is better to be safe than sorry..I just leave my RER strung up during hunting season..but I always use a stinger on my recurves..
Stand at the crossroads and look, seek for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is,and walk in it, and you will find rest for your soul....Scroll of Joshua

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 02:33:00 PM »
Don't see the cons. My stalker is quiet and preforms well! It's the only type of recurve I'll shoot, just because of the noise difference.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Broke N Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 02:34:00 PM »
But it is a very good idea to use a stringer..I have broken a tip off another bow..it is better to be safe than sorry..I just leave my RER strung up during hunting season..but I always use a stinger on my recurves..

Offline Broke N Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 02:37:00 PM »
QB][/QUOTE]

Offline Broke N Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 02:38:00 PM »
I have an RER static recurve.. 58 inch at 46lbs and it is one of the nices, smoothest drawing, fastest bows I've ever owned..just a joy to shoot..I'm convinced the modern day statics are the way to go..

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 02:47:00 PM »
no cons here. I just don't unstring it often, if ever.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 03:43:00 PM »
I've owned a few RER static tips and have yet to see any cons. I use the push-pull method to string my longbows, but use a stringer for ALL my recurves, so the static tip is no different for me. I have an RER LXR now. The 58"static tip curve limbs are 43# @ 28" and the 62" longbow limbs come in at 46# @ 28", so there are some minor speed differences. They both shoot within a few fps on the technoscreen readout in our archery league, though.

I'm a believer!
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 03:46:00 PM »
I like Static tips......I feel they perform better, at least the ones I have had and still have......there are no cons!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 04:00:00 PM »
Like others have said, I don't see any cons.  Static tips seem to perform better and are quieter.
Dave

US Army Retired (1984-2013)
Job 42:1-6

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 09:35:00 PM »
cons,
Static tips are more sensitive to finger pressure at release, Static tips generally use a wider thin core limb, which makes them likely to twist, and their string life is shorter.

Pros,Been covered above but better performance. Not buying that.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 11:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by overbo:
cons,
Static tips are more sensitive to finger pressure at release, Static tips generally use a wider thin core limb, which makes them likely to twist, and their string life is shorter.

Pros,Been covered above but better performance. Not buying that.
Respectfully disagree with the above. Wide? You ever see a ballistik or a talon?  Not wide at all. Release is no more critical than any other bow. Performance wise they are exceptional when properly designed. String life is the same as any other bow.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2014, 09:56:00 AM »
overbo, what makes for the shorter string life?
shoot straight shoot often

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©