3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Canoe  (Read 3200 times)

Offline tradgreenhorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Canoe
« on: December 19, 2013, 05:16:00 PM »
I am looking for a canoe to float the local rivers in my area for deer. I am looking at a 14ft. radison with a square stern. What do you guys recomend. If this is not a subject that I can post than mods please delete. Thanks Don

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Canoe
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 05:42:00 PM »
From Shooting many carp from one I feel the wider the better for stability.
PBS  Member

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 06:34:00 PM »
Will you be hunting by yourself or with another person.  If by yourself, you would want something at least 14 feet long, 16 if there'll be two of you.

If you know how to canoe, you don't necessarily need to go real wide, 32-34 inches for a solo, 36 or so for a tandem. I'm assuming you will be shooting from a sitting position. A canoe is rather tippy for standing, unless you add sponsons or other floation on the sides.  A flatter bottom will give you more initial stability than will more v-shaped or rounded bottom hulls, but they won't be as fast. You'll also want a little bit of rocker for ease of turning on small rivers.

You might consider a used wood and canvas canoe. They're much quieter inside and out than fiberglass, kevlar or aluminum.
They're about the same weight as aluminum and plastic boats, heavier than kevlar, of course.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 07:19:00 PM »
What Orion said, plus, flat bottoms are less maneuverable, slower to respond.  How much current will you be facing, are there sweepers, snags sticking up, etc?  When I solo canoe, I generally kneel near the middle of the canoe facing the stern-using the stern as the front.  Kneeling puts your center of gravity lower and having the stern in the front puts you nearer the center of the canoe, which keeps the canoe level on the water and makes it easier to maneuver.  When shooting, simply raise up as high as possible while kneeling.

Make sure to carry a spare paddle or 2 in case you drop one-the "up the creek without a paddle" syndrome.  Hard to paddle with a bow!!!
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline tradgreenhorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 07:24:00 PM »
Thanks for the input. I will be canoeing with one other person. The rivers that we  will be on are shallow.Lots of rocks and some portage will have to be done as well. I also would like to use the canoe for some inland lake fishing.

Thanks Don

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 07:46:00 PM »
For two people I would go with 17':  it will not seem that big when you are in it with gear.  A 16' would be my minimum.    Royalex canoes are lighter than canoes made with plastic laminates but are also more expensive. Also, the wider the canoe the more initial stability it has but at a cost of maneuverability and speed (power to move it).   Check out the Wenonah website, they have a lot of general information.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 07:47:00 PM »
I've done a lot of float hunting in a canoe. It's a very quiet way to hunt. You usually see a lot of game and the changing scenery keeps it exciting.   Many times you'll see deer bedded near the river within bow range. This canoe is a custom built 12' wood and canvas. The other quiver in the canoe is my wife's who took the picture. On this particular float she got a shot at a young doe. She waited just a split second too long and the deer jumped and ran just as she shot. The bow I'm holding is a Don Adams English Yew wood, 72". I had no trouble shooting from the canoe as long as I held the bow horizontally.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline agross1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 08:05:00 PM »
Where r u located ?   I would recommend a 16 footer as well.
Silvertip 60"  54#
64 Kodiak 60"  50#

Offline PUDDLE JUMPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 08:55:00 PM »
A canoe and a pair of hip boots are one of the best investments an outdoorsman can make. It really can open up new world to you.

I have a couple. An Old Town Pack 11ft creek boat and a 15ft Grumman Sport boat.

The advice your getting here is good. Something you can solo or tandem in will also have enough capacity to get a deer out.

My next canoe will be something in the 15 to 16 ft range. I really have been pleased with Royalex.

Pay attention to weight. You will thank yourself later.

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »
I got a 13'7" radioson with the square stern and the earth foam side, almost impossible to tip over, I put a 40lb thrust trolling motor on it. Very effective way to hunt. I cross rivers, lake fingers ect.

Offline BRIARS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »
Check out the Nucanoe Frontier, it may be of interest. Stable enough to stand up in.

Offline BRIARS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 09:13:00 PM »
Check out the Nucanoe Frontier, it may be of interest. Stable enough to stand up in.

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
If you are worried about bumping rocks, Old Town Penobscot. If you have money and are looking for an excuse to go to Ely Minnesota, go on a canoe trip and try out a Souris River Quetico 17". Both are tough, but the souris river will weigh about 20 pounds less.    http://redrockoutfitting.com/  
  http://redrockstore.com/canoes.html

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 09:41:00 PM »
I have a Wenonah Fisherman that can handle two people but can also be handled easily by one person.  Very stable canoe.
AKA - Huntfun
Professional Bowhunters Society-Regular Member
Compton Life member
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 09:59:00 PM »
I would avoid the Raddison if you will be scratching over rocks.

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2013, 10:08:00 PM »
You might look for a canoe with non-molded seats, one where two can use it, or one can sit in the "front" seat and paddle "backwards". Both Penobscot and Appalachian by Old Town fit this description, but price might be a consideration...
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline Tatonka17

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2013, 10:45:00 PM »
I happen to be a sales rep for Old Town, and will echo the comments made about Royalex. While a little expensive, the weight is fantastic. One thing to consider is everyone in the canoe industry gets Royalex from the same source....and mid year next year Royalex is no longer going to be produced. So if you're on the fence about getting a Royalex canoe, get it while you can.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2013, 10:58:00 PM »
For two people and gear, bigger is better. I've owned a 17'3" Old Town Tripper for over 30 years and it does the job. My 3 grandsons own it now.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline bobman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2013, 06:16:00 AM »
Forget a canoe and google GHeenoe

paddles the same and you wont end up swimming in cold water

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2013, 07:12:00 AM »
Dang, Ron looks like you may have had a "likker still" up in 'em woods and lookin fer thu revinuer man. We might be related, does that mean I can come to Shrewhaven next year?
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©