3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Canoe  (Read 3203 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Canoe
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »
If you want to get really traditional go with a birch bark canoe.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2013, 04:21:00 PM »
For shooting carp you will need to check out and get the sponsons(spelling?) from Spring Creek.  for paddling open water set them above the water so they don't hang up on waves, but set them as deep as you can push them evenly and out as far the bar will go when shooting carp for optimum steadiness. I have a pair of lashing bars and we put two canoes together, they can still be paddled, but are more sea worthy than a pontoon boat.  For fishing lakes with power boats, I put floats on one lashing bar with one canoe, then I do not have to worry about rollers coming off the power boats.

Offline tradgreenhorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2013, 08:41:00 PM »
Ron that is a really fine looking canoe and crew you have there. Very traditional I will be looking into one of those. Also looking at the gheenoe,and sportspal. Thanks again to all that responded for all the input.  
                                  Don

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2013, 04:52:00 PM »
I second the Guide 119. I did change the seat in mine a bit and it is very stable and a fine boat for the money.RC

Offline Dan Adair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2013, 06:48:00 PM »
It must be nice to have rivers big enough to float and hunt out of a canoe.  Everytime this thread comes around, it makes me want to go on a road trip somewhere where that is possible.

That's not to say that I haven't taken a recurve along during some of my September floats and fly fishing trips.  NW Montana rivers aren't too canoe friendly.

Up here a guy needs a drift boat, 14' NRS with a rowing frame, and a Bucks Bag 9 footer if you're going to fish from June to October.

« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2013, 10:27:00 PM »
it works good in northwest Iowa, about one in four years.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2013, 09:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by RC:
I second the Guide 119. I did change the seat in mine a bit and it is very stable and a fine boat for the money.RC
I forgot to mention on my pack boat I did lower my seat 3" for stability. learned this from fly fishing from a canoe everyone I know lowered the seats for easier casting,, helps with shooting a bow too.
"Us vs Them"

Offline trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »
I prefer a shallow V instead of a flat bottom. Shallow V bottom's have good secondary stability.
A canoe with a sharp V design on the front is also nice. I have a 20 year old Mad River which has never failed me.
Will McQueen

« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2013, 01:06:00 PM »
My Mad River Kevlar Explorer is a a shallow V. It is a very versatile canoe. The design works like prospector that tracks better in wind and waves. The only slight flaws in the design occurs when running in three inch deep water, the V will make harder contact on semi firm bottoms, and when soloing in a leaned positon, the canoe settles firmly on the flattened haul, but is a bit slower than other round chined canoes in the leaned solo position..

Offline tradgreenhorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2013, 03:43:00 PM »
Thanks so much for all the great info,I am going to look at a used 13 ft old town adventure tomorrow. I will let you know how it go's. Also found a mad river to possibly look at. thanks Don

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2013, 03:47:00 PM »
I miss my old canoe greatly. I plan on building a cedar strip 16' prospector style in the near future. Good all around canoe, (although my old 12-1/2' canoe could get in just about anywhere).
Got wood? - Tom

« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2013, 03:56:00 PM »
Looks like I will be hunting turkey locally this spring, since all this canoe talk has reminded me to put in for my BWCA reservation for May for our first trip this year.

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2013, 04:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by pavan:
Looks like I will be hunting turkey locally this spring, since all this canoe talk has reminded me to put in for my BWCA reservation for May for our first trip this year.
Not to hijack the thread, but have you ever considered hunting BWCA?
Dave

US Army Retired (1984-2013)
Job 42:1-6

Offline tradgreenhorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2013, 04:39:00 PM »
What is BWCA?   :dunno:

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2013, 04:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by tradgreenhorn:
What is BWCA?    :dunno:  
Boundary Water Canoe Area, a wilderness area on the border of Minnesota and Canada.  A truly beautiful and unique place.
Dave

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2013, 04:51:00 PM »
I canoed the Boundary Waters in the 60's. It was sensational
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2013, 05:07:00 PM »
Sounds  like  that will  have to  be added to the bucket list.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline tradgreenhorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »
x2 on the bucket list

« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2013, 05:55:00 PM »
One can only hunt moose in the Bdub if you get the once in a life time draw and are a resident.  Out of staters,I think, can hunt bear in the Bdub. If you want to get Minnesota people really upset with you, just tell them that you think the Bdub moose season should be traditional archery only. Twice as many people could do it then and maybe even get more than a once in a life time chance at it.

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2013, 07:31:00 PM »
There are non-resident licenses for bear and deer.  I don't know if bear hunting in Bdub is draw only.
Dave

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©