3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: longbow recommendations  (Read 437 times)

Offline SC Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
longbow recommendations
« on: September 12, 2007, 06:35:00 PM »
Hey y'all,
I'm new to this site and wanted to introduce myself and maybe get a little info. I started out at 10 with an old yellow bear fiberglass recurve. Soon fell victim to the wheelie craze and been shootin them for the last 31 years. Found Bingham Projects last year and decided to build my own recurve. Came out pretty nice and I was introduced to archery once again. The wheelie will be collecting dust from now on.
Anyway, I was thinking about trying a longbow to see if I like it. I work for USAirways so money is a little tight right now. I was looking at the Bear Montana longbow (price is reasonable) and was wondering if this would be a good way to go. Any help would be appreciated.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Pope & Young General Member
NRA Life Member

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: longbow recommendations
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 06:55:00 PM »
Contact Don at this email:
[email protected]
I had him make me one recently and I really like it. I don't have his phone number handy.
LB
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Offline deertraks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 07:58:00 PM »
Welcome, you came to the right place.  :campfire:
Dave
Phil. 2:6-11

Offline sgrogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »
Nothing wrong with the Montana.  Personally, I like the way they handle and shoot.  If you order from 3-Rivers tell them you want one of the newer models with the radiused shelf and smaller tips.

git-er-done!

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 01:12:00 AM »
Robert, don't overlook the option of geting a Howard Hill glued-up blank. They're fully tillered, and only need final shapeing and finishing. Makes an excellent longbow.

Ed

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 01:54:00 AM »
Pick up a used one and you can probably get your money back if you decide to sell. I like the Morrison Dakota and Cougar. I was also impressed with the Martin Savannah.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline SC Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 04:09:00 AM »
Thanks guys for the references. I noticed after I posted this that Cliff asked about the Montana on September 8. Man, this place is a treasure trove of information. Everyone is so willing to help someone out. I am glad I became a member.
If I can help anyone in the future, let me know. I'm not much help in the trad field yet but I do work for an airline and have 33 acres with some nice oak, hickory and poplar trees.
Thanks again.

Rob
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Pope & Young General Member
NRA Life Member

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 06:05:00 AM »
You could try the Dryad Bow Blank

Offline beyondmyken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 06:28:00 AM »
I always suggest going to a trad shoot and trying the different styles. Hill bows have not felt good to me but 2 friends love them.  I seem to handle the shorter ie 56-60 in bows better. Your muscle memory from the years of compound may like a medium grip better.

Offline Longbow Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 03:25:00 PM »
Since you are already familiar with finishing a bow try a blank.

I've worked several from 7 Lakes.  They come to you almost finished already.

Offline allanburden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2007, 06:13:00 PM »
Hey Rob, I have a Northern Mist Baraga and it is a heckuva bow.  I love it.  I have also heard great things about the Bear Montana.  Welcome to the gang, and if you are ever in the Greenville/Spartanburg area look me up.    :campfire:    :archer:
"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." Ernest Hemingway

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 06:49:00 PM »
If you've already made a Binghams recurve, go for the longbow.  Made my first this year, and it will be hunting with me all season.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=047004#000000

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2007, 08:30:00 PM »
Rob:
 I agree make your own since you already have experence making recurves. I you do not want to make your own then look at the used ones in the classifieds on this site. If you watch them for a while then you can usually purchas a bow at a very good price and if it doesnt suite you you can sale it and get most of your money back. I find it harder to find a longbow that I really like(shoot well) than a recurve but this year I feel I am shooting the longbow better and am using it to hunt with.
 Mike
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©