3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: food plots  (Read 300 times)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
food plots
« on: December 20, 2013, 12:29:00 PM »
OK, it is winter, it is cold,  time to start thinking about next year.  I asked this before,  asking again cause we have had a whole year or two more experience and more new members.

Does anybody have any experience with growing food stuff (for the critters) in northern MI or WI, in very sandy soils ?  What and how ?

I am working on improving the soil by adding organics and manipulating its chemistry, but it is what it is and all that takes time to acheive.

ChuckC

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: food plots
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 12:37:00 PM »
Chuck,
Get a copy of this:

Ultimate Deer Food Plots Paperback – January 1, 2006
by Ed Spinazzola (Author)

This covers soil buildup, seeds, ect.  I've followed it successfully on numerous food plots in Northern MI.  It's an easy read and it has everything from small hunting plots to large field applications.  It's probably around $20 and it will save you more than that on misapplication of seeds or fertilizer.  

Good luck.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 12:44:00 PM »
Thanks Ray

I will put it on my list of reads.  I like to read.

ChuckC

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 03:43:00 PM »
Thanks for posting this chuck as I'm wondering the same as you.  We have five plots on our land here in northern wisconsin and at this moment they're mediocre at best.  Two things we are doing this offseason is having "mill sludge" from our local paper mill delivered and spread over our two main plots.  Takes a season or two of working into the soil, but its supposed to really enrich this sandy soil.  On our smaller, less accessible plots I'm spreading mink manure that a local mink rancher is giving me for free.  These two methods of improving the soil were the top recommendations from  local friends who've done it , and after walking their properties , well, the proof is in the pudding!
One note;  on one plot there wasn't enough mink manure to cover the whole thing so he concentrated the manure in the corner of the plot closest to his stand and put up a temporary fence around that part to keep the deer from hammering it too soon.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 04:34:00 PM »
That "fencing it to keep the deer away" is a real concern on my little plots.  The dang deer eat it down to nothing so it is hard to know if it is working or not.  I need to build a little fenced area to see the real plant growth.

Adding paper mill sludge is good for the organics, but supposedly it binds up a lot of nitrogen from use by the plants so you need to supplement for a  while.
ChuckC

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 05:19:00 PM »
I too will thank you for bring this up.  My property is a pine plantation and the soil is sandy.

Not quite sure what to do.  I will bring in a soil sample to the co-op to see what they recommend.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 05:26:00 PM »
Yup, the book from Ed Spin is great. The QDMA magazine "Quality Whitetails" is also a must have for anyone looking to improve their habitat, be it by food plot, tree planting, tree hinging or tree cutting. It's the best deer magazine out there and it's worth the price of membership...
 http://www.qdma.com/corporate/quality-whitetails

We've been doing plots/fields for deer since the 1970's. My place is in the southern end of the NLP of Michigan, about an hour north of Grand Rapids. I've spent many of hundreds, if not 1000's of hours over the decade clearing plots and doing prep work. Much of it was making clearings from forest.

I don't hunt over my plots, if I plant them in a given year. I consider plots to be a food source a good general draw to the general area and I try to hunt trails leading to and from. Hunting over a plot in heavily pressured area's will almost certainly mean that the plot is mostly used after dark.

With that said, trust me on my mistakes and what I've learned.

1. Have realistic expectations. If your soil is acidic and sandy, you're never going to get many/most plots to grow, like you'd see on TV or magazines, unless you spend a ton of money on lime, fert and perhaps manure. On the same token, have realistic expectations of rack size in such places. While you can attempt to help achieve age classes, realize that a 3-4 year old buck in sandy acidic soils isn't going to be what most call "trophy class", but instead likely a very respectable 120 class buck. Just sayin'.

2. GET A SOIL SAMPLE. I cannot stress this enough. You'll save tons of time and money. Find out what you're working with.

3. Work with what you have. If it's sandy, you could get your ph up after lots of time and money, but then a dry summer will take it all away. I've had great looking clover plots that I frost seeded in March completely burn out in a 90 degree July with little rain. Keep in mind, with the sand, the moisture line will be far deeper than the root system of the plot plant. Also keep in mind that much of the recreational hunting land in MI/WI is hunting land because no settlers wanted to farm it. That's a clue.

4. If you already have an opening that looks fairly ready for a food plot, keep in mind that little grows there for a reason. It's likely very dry and very acidic.

My end advice, if typical northern sands, is concentrate on doing fall annuals, like oats, winter wheat, rye and brassica's.

If you do brassica's, do a mix of turnips and rape. If poor soil, your turnips will be more carrot size than regular turnip size. Also, in poor soils, I suggest planting around a big rain in late July or early August, despite most bags saying to plant in late August or early September. Brassica's grow really slow in poor soils, in my experience. Also, since the seed is tiny, you can work up the soil and just spread it on top and don't do anything else, if seeded right before a heavy rain. The rain will beat it in, since it's sized like #9 birdshot.

If you do grains, do a mix of rye, winter wheat and oats. The oats typically don't do well with frost. Also, turkey and deer love the grains come Spring melt off.

I personally like the grains mix the best, with 40% rye, 40% winter wheat and 20% oats. They grow in about anything, the deer hammer them in forest settings and they're pretty bullet proof, plus they are there at Spring melt off, when deer need food the most.

Just keep in mind again, it's really hard to make a silk purse from a sows ear. Go with the flow and work with what works best with what you're working with.

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 06:11:00 PM »
Chuck,
I've owned a farm near Antigo since 1999. The soil isn't pure sand but it's nothing compared to Southeern WI where I live.

First thing I bought was Ed's book entitled "Easy as 1-2-3"
It was white cover and published prior to the Green cover "Ultimate" book.
Both are good stuff.

The soil sample is key.
We built up our PH over a 5-6 year period by having the co-op truck come every year and apply 2-4 tons per acre.

Ed's methods are simple, and proven. Once in awhile you can get him on the phone too.
He sells a great clover and a brassica mix that grows well in our area. He does this to raise money for his Mid MI QDMA branch.

It's rewarding work doing food plots and improving the habitat.

Not sure where you are located, but you can come over and take a peek at ours this Spring if you want.

PS...
Thanks for all the Elk hunt info you sent me.

Merry Christmas
Irv Eichorst

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 07:13:00 PM »
I will echo mojostick.  Start with soil testing and go from there.  Many wooded areas have extremely poor soil quality, and need work on the fertility front before anything else.  Select crops that grow well in the climactic zone in which you will be hunting.  I am a relative newbie to trad bowhunting, but agronomy is how I make my living.  Growing food plots is no different than growing crops, start with the soil quality and go from there.

That being said, growing food plots is the single best thing I have ever done on the property I hunt in Tennessee.  Combined with selective buck harvest, you will not be disappointed in the results if you see it through to fruition.  Just my two cents worth.  Hope I could help.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
Thanks all.

I got the property with a thick growth of trees on it.  Not huge trees, but 40 footers or so.  They formed a canopy that did not allow any green beneath them.  Standard story for much of the north.  

I have been opening it up systematically and I am very delighted with the greening up of the place.  Lots more work to do though.  

I have a few small food plots opened up and I am trying to get something out of them, realizing my soil is not Iowa or Illinois black dirt.  

I can also see the difference in results on several plants that I put into my lower WI dirt vs up on "the farm". Huge difference in growth between the two, a bit of which can be attributed to my not being able to water weekly up at the farm, while the trees / plants at my home never wanted for anything.

I have been disking in organic matter, and I hope to double my efforts this spring, with visible results.  good results.  Now in another five years....

I was wondering if anybody has had any actual experience with these conditions and get a jump on what I should be planting.  Tried a bunch, but until I can water, much of my choices are moot during a dryer year.

Deer are heavily hunted up there, and I suspect, not only during the seasons.  Hard to tell if the antler quality is because of lack of resources or simply lack of years (on the deer).  

Still, I love being up there and plan to work my butt off to see it at its potential.
ChuckC

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 11:52:00 PM »
Are there any ideas that would be good for a small property. My 10 acres has deer passing through but they are all on their way to the large croplands on the farm to the north of us.
It would be nice if I could put in something that would give them a reason to pause and "hang out" a bit at my place...
I have brush, trees and grass but that does not seem to be enough.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 08:28:00 AM »
Paul,
If you're in Kansas and competing with large croplands, go the other way with your habitat improvements. Instead of creating another opening and attempting to compete with massive food sources, think cover/bedding/transition area, instead.
For example, when my neighboring farms have lots of planted corn, I don't plant food plots that season. When they rotate with grains, then I may plant plots.
While I've lots of experience with food plots, I'm getting far more bang out of creating thick cover and I may be done with food plots for now.

When improving habitat, think about offering deer/turkey what they are otherwise lacking from the neighboring land. Is most neighboring land open? Then offer cover. If you have mostly forest in the area, a food plot can be a great thing.

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2013, 09:24:00 AM »
Chuck,
Ed's book covers soil buildup processes. I believe he's recommending planting rye and disking in until it's built up to handling other seed products. As noted above, Ed recommends not doing anything until you have a soil test!!!!!

More good advice on expectations above.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 11:15:00 AM »
winter  sugar beets or turnips
They say it takes a frost before the deer will touch em
Slickhead

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2013, 05:21:00 PM »
Beets and turnips, if you can get them to grow, are a great manure crop as well.  

I had a bumper crop in a food plot several years ago, but the early winter was so mild the deer never ate them until February when we got a really hard freeze.

Daryl
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2013, 07:32:00 PM »
Just ordered Ed's book, thank you,

ChuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©