3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broke arrow, didn't cry. Good sign..  (Read 278 times)

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
Broke arrow, didn't cry. Good sign..
« on: December 21, 2013, 06:30:00 PM »
Well some of you have no doubt seen my arrow posts - from carbon madness to woody building questions. I was out shooting tonight and sent one of my cedars just over the target bag. Apparently the fence poles behind it are footed with cement. You guessed it, arrow found the cement under the surface and broke. I just chuckled. Clearly I need a better backstop, but I just can not for the life of me get mad at woodies. Every so often I have to bend a little curve out of one or two, and yes, a carbon may have survived a hit like that, but man I shoot wood so good and tinkering with them is so fun I'll gladly suffer some breaks. As per my crafting questions, ordering the surewood shafts is about my last step. Amassing the equipment bit by bit under the wifes nose has been akin to dropping pocketfuls of dirt into the gym yard in order to tunnel out of prison, but I'm just about there! Haha I managed to salvage the nock by just twisting with fingers (maybe not a great endorsment for the folks who put these together, but I haven't had any problems so I'm not complaining), and just for fun was able to cut the feathers off and sand the bottoms clean again (kind of penny pinching but it was more just to see if I could).  If you never have, I would suggest giving wood a try. Once you're happy with your bow set up, the only logical tinkering next-step is the arrow! And working with wood arrows is so rewarding. I find them very forgiving, quiet, accurate, and hard hitting. Yes, that one broke, but as I've been pushing my target array back to the 20 meter mark there have been more than a few unexpected survivors. Next step will be crafting my own, which will be right after Christmas. I hear surewoods can take an even better beating, haha well I'm the guy to find out! Anyways, for all of those here who steered me onto woodies, thank you. Its been an educational trip so far, and I'm only just begining. Happy shooting!
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broke arrow, didn't cry. Good sign..
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 08:54:00 PM »
NO Doubt, wood arrows are just plain more fun.

I hate breaking arrows, But I love breaking them compared to losing them.  :knothead:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Owlmagnet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 01:54:00 AM »
If breaking wooden arrows were a war crime, I would never see the the light of day. You can't break'em if you don't take the shot.  All else being equal, take the shot....

I have long since parted ways with cedar, and, more recently, sitka spruce.  They make great shafts, but I fear that I'm just too tough on 'em. Just yesterday, I shot my first barrel-tapered ash. (It is a wonder what a fella can accomplish with sandpaper, a seven-dollar-Stanley-one-inch plane, a bit of time, and sufficient motivation.)

I'll be darned if they didn't fly like darts! (Plus, I have long known that ash, if you can get 'em straight and keep them that way, can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'!)

Fear not the concrete, Cavscout9753! Surewoods, by all accounts, are terrific shafts. Press on!

(In an operation of any size, you have to expect a few casualties.)

Be well and good luck.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 09:52:00 AM »
Buy some Reparrows for those woodies. You can repair the ends up to about 4" or so.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 07:42:00 PM »
Amen Brother! You said it ALL!!  :thumbsup:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Surewood Steve

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 11:08:00 PM »
Trust me you can break a Surewood, but I never remember breaking an arrow when I hit the target, it's only when I miss the target and bounce one off a tree or rock.  Just remember a lost arrow still has shots in it and I hate that, but a broken one never bothers me.  Now I have an excuse to make more, the problem is I break one or two and then have to make a dozen!!!!
"If you don't shoot wood arrows out of your Trad bow it is like taking your split bamboo fly rod and fishing with worms and a bobber."

Offline Triphammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 01:54:00 AM »
I've got my yellow poplar (tulipwood)raw shafts down to about 38 cents apiece now. Feathers, points nocks & the rest plus labor to turn shafts into arrows causes me to look for a lost arrow, but not near as long as I used to!  If I have 20 - 24 inches left , nock to tip, I just became a "grandson" arrow Since there's 5 of 'em I don't mind breaking arrows either.

Qwlmagnet,
 How do the weights compare between POC & ash.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©