3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How To Remove Broken Field Tip From Insert  (Read 818 times)

Offline cloudbaseracer

• Trad Bowhunter
How To Remove Broken Field Tip From Insert
« on: December 21, 2013, 07:00:00 PM »
I have a carbon arrow that has a broken screw in part from a field tip stuck down in the insert.  It sheared off deep down where it just starts o screw in. There is no way to heat the insert without damaging the carbon so ..... how do you guys do it?  

By the way, these were some Allen 5/16 field tips I bought at Academy. I am really surprised that it broke from shooting into a tree at a squirrel!  Buyer beware I guess.

Anyway - I want to use this arrow so need to get the shaft out. The inserts have been put in with regular old hot melt.

Cheers,
James

Offline dingas

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How To Remove Broken Field Tip From Insert
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 07:06:00 PM »
I think you should be able to heat the carbon with no ill effects so long as you dont give it too much direct heat. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in, but I have done it before...
I try to stay away from anything Allen makes. I just find the quality low.

Offline cloudbaseracer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 07:25:00 PM »
I am familiar with carbon and the last thing you want to do to it is heat it up.  That is when it breaks down - you may not see it but it will not be as strong and will be brittle.  

I hear you on the Allen stuff - they fail in my book!

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 07:28:00 PM »
Easy out
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 07:28:00 PM »
No heat unless you get a tip in it.  I would say pull the nock and try a drill bit.  Whip the shaft hard sending the bit base first into the insert to try and knock out the insert.

Maybe try a small dab of epoxy on something like a cut off nail to see if you can bond to the end of the insert.  Let set and try and turn it out.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 07:29:00 PM »
Easy out.  If you're not great at drilling, find someone that is.  The 8-32 thread isn't going to cut you much slack.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 07:34:00 PM »
Hot melt has a fairly low melting point.  I would imagine you could hold the end with the insert in boiling water for a minute or so and then poke it out with a straightened coat hanger from the back.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline cloudbaseracer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 08:02:00 PM »
Sorry guys! I should have mentioned that I have added tapered wood inside the shaft just like the "ultimate arrow" thread.  This will prevent me from accessing the insert from the back.

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
Is it long enough that you could cut it off behind the insert and glue in a new one?? I realize this will change the spine so just put some flu flu's on and make it a permanent squirrel arrow  :dunno:  

Steve

Offline cloudbaseracer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 08:34:00 PM »
Not really long enough to cut as these are my most custom arrows ever and really dialed in.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 08:42:00 PM »
Screw in a new field tip, heat the tip to where the hotmelt loosens, pull the insert and put the end of the shaft into cold running water. Unscrew the tip and trash the insert.

Or is there not enough thread to get a turn or two into the insert? Could you find a screw the right size to self-tap into the opening of the insert?

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 08:55:00 PM »
A lot depends on what kind of insert and how far down the break point is in the insert and in the threads. It sounds like it broke off right at the start of the insert threads so you have no thread to try and get into for pulling or heating.  In that case, I would try an oversize screw or bolt with a fine thread that will just start to thread into the smooth part of the start of the insert. Us a tap if needed to cut some threads.  Thread in the screw or bolt down to the start of the insert point threads. Then heat that up and pull out.
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2013, 08:56:00 PM »
I use a drill bit as wt. inside the shaft.  Swing the shaft down like an impact driver.  A few times will hit the insert and drive it out.   Always works for me. .  . just be ready as the insert and bit will come flying out of there.  It helps to be standing on carpet so it doesn't ricochet across the concrete floor! (ask me how I know!!)  :)
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »
Killdeer bet me to it while I was taking a break from typing to dealing with the kids.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
You could heat a piece of metal good and hot and press the end of the insert against the metal long enough to soften your glue then pull the insert.  I've done it before using just the element on the stove.  On the other hand if you don't want to heat it up then just toss out the arrow and buy another.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2013, 09:51:00 PM »
If you have used epoxy to glue the insert in. Try putting it in the freezer over night, then go drop it a few times on the concrete the next day. heat will expand, cold will contract the metal and freezing it makes the glue brittle.  If that don't work your toast....

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2013, 10:56:00 PM »
Buy you a 5/16 slip on rubber bunny buster blunt and have at it. Still a good squirrel arrow.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2013, 01:20:00 AM »
I think you're out of luck.  The easy out would probably expand and split the shaft before you had enough force.

What is the insert made of????

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2013, 08:02:00 AM »
I use one of those small eyeglass screwdrivers. You can usually get that to catch on the end of the broken field point and get it to turn out.   BILL

Offline Andy Diggs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2013, 08:49:00 AM »
Harbor Freight sells a set of small LH drill bits for less than $10. I have had good luck with them for similar projects. They will usually catch and unscrew the broken screw without having to use an easy out. That being said I would try Killdeers idea first.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©