3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Coming to a sad realization…  (Read 1200 times)

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Re: Coming to a sad realization…
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2013, 11:40:00 PM »
Time to assert your identity.  Those mounts are worth as much as her drapes at least.  A man is not just a creature to be tamed.  This is a huge problem in marriages today.  Mens' identity as men and quality of life needs have gotten nullified and made the subject of a punch line or cheapened into fodder for pop culture trash.  The house is half yours too.  I went through this 'establishing dominance/equality' phase in my marriage not too long ago, being a young guy and I have stood my ground for the most part and it has paid dividends; my wife was initially a bit ruffled with me asserting myself as far as how space is shared etc but she respects me now and at least sort of gets it.  We just moved into our new house and I get consulted on decoration (not that I care that much but its the principle) and I won myself a dedicated room that is my hobby space and studio and it is generally off limits to her cleaning endeavors (that one was hard for her to let go!) and my "3D organizational style' can reign free.  There's even a lock on the door (she knows where a spare key is hidden, but again, its the principle) Its working out great.  Gentleman, don't let yourself get pushed into the garage or shed.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Stephengiles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2013, 12:22:00 AM »
I don't really think it's about establishing dominance. I'm a powerlifter and ex prize fighter. I've also done a lot of things that people are in prison for. I've been homeless and it's only through grace that I'm alive. I've known my wife for over twenty years. She knows my past and she loves me.  She's tough as nails, sometimes tougher than me. She contributes to my house and raises my two children, one of which isn't hers. She eats the game I bring home but doesn't want mounts in the house. So there's no mounts in the house. I think most men here who have been married a long time will say that sometimes it's better to be happy than right.

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2013, 08:43:00 AM »
I'll never have a trophy hanging on the wall. Somehow, I find it disrespectfull to the animal. JMO. I take a good picture, make an 8 x 10 glossy print and keep it in a special album.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2013, 09:08:00 AM »
I lost my wife to cancer this year, she didn't want any mounts in the house, she decorated the house like she wanted to and kept it immaculate. I never made an issue about her choice and adjusted to agree with her completely after several years of marriage and getting out of "single man" mode.

I mounted the first big buck I killed 40 years ago, back when they stuffed the cape with sawdust, looks real bad now. Killed several huge bucks since but grew to realize that for me, mounts are a poor representation of the magnificence of a live buck but the memories of the hunt will never fade.

I tack up my antlers on the wall of my shop along with my ancient 8 point mount, they fit the best out there.

Honor your wife's opinion guys, somewhere down the road you may will look back and see the respect and consideration you had for your wife as a huge feather in your cap.

Offline long time archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2013, 04:51:00 PM »
We, too, moved into a smaller home for retirement, and there's room for only 5 in one room. I sold my 6x6 elk--there is no ceiling tall enough for it, even when I build my man-cave in the second garage. One bear skin rug and a buffalo hide also found a new home. The one thing I still have are lots of pictures and memories. Stuff happens and things move on...
long time archer

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2013, 12:00:00 AM »
I was never a big fan of mounted heads in a house. My buddy has a full strut turkey standing on top of his TV, kinda freaks me out. I much prefer european skull mounts. Even then, I would never put one in our living room. Such things belong in a den or hunting lodge. The few deer, javelina, and a hog I've done are in my bow room along with my bows and photos.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©