3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: if you HAD to live off the land would you  (Read 1106 times)

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
if you HAD to live off the land would you
« on: December 22, 2013, 03:48:00 AM »
if you had to kill every protein meal would you still have a viable place for your bow,  assuming you could at least maintain a moderate supply of components for a alternative weapon.

for me, no, If I had to live on what I kill there is no way I would consider taking my bow out, weather it be birds or big game. I could not justify the risk of failure.  whith that said how blessed are we that we can and want to reach in to the past and just attempt to recreate moments of harvest that would have been so very rejoiced in the real time of the bow.

Offline chrisAKnative

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: if you HAD to live off the land would you
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 04:04:00 AM »
im with you on that one..being up here in Alaska it would be a little tough..and with those tiny bears you have walking around there im sure you don't just want to have a bow.but we are very privileged to be able to take ourselves back in time and hold on to those "good ol days" our grandfathers speak of.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 04:29:00 AM »
No problem. OH Tim not ground squirrel and termites again. No honey got a big coyote with just a touch of mange.  :rolleyes:   Here clean these two feral cats also. You would be eating lots of stuff that you would not touch now.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 07:21:00 AM »
I'd keep my bow as a alternative..but if I HAD to live off the land,  a light-weight .22 rifle would be my option.  I have plenty of ammo; can carry a LOT without much weight, and can kill anything in Ohio with it.  JMO
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 07:31:00 AM »
It would depend on if I had to keep my presence/whereabouts quiet.  If I had access to any piece of ground I came across, I would still have a bow, plus a 22 at a minimum and maybe a shotgun.  If I had to chance trouble going on a property, definitely stick to a bow-I'd just have to be a better shot.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 08:03:00 AM »
It would be fun to try if it wasn't life or death.

However, I'm with the folks above, if things got that tough I couldn't afford to come home empty-handed. My choice would also be a bolt action.22 rimfire.

My Dad used to tell when he was a kid (early 40's) his Dad would give him 1-3 shotgun shells and instructions to bring home something to eat.  He was, and because of his tutelage I am, very conservative with shot selection.  There are many types of "borderline" shots that I have no idea if I could make or not because I just won't try them.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 08:12:00 AM »
I would snare or trap my food. Hunt even while sleeping this way.
No fooling around when there is no choice.
David M. Conroy

Online achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 08:19:00 AM »
I'm with Y. I've heard a simple bird trap is the way to feed yourself. Lotsa Armageddon, End of the World types (I'm not one of them) feel that way. Perfectly silent, gathers while you go about other work.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline Tradtical Commando

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 08:26:00 AM »
I would try to feed the house by trapping and bow hunting only for sure. I have lots of ammo and plenty of guns, but if the world goes to ****, I would like to try and save all that for protecting what is mine from other people with guns.

Offline recurve maine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 08:27:00 AM »
Trap trap trap.... a 22 and my bow, I am coming home with something for the family
1972 Lefty Browning Nomad 51lb @ 30.5
62" Lefty Sammick Sage 66lb @ 30.5
In Search of a custom Lefty long bow!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 08:40:00 AM »
I would use a mix, but it would include the bow in a secondary role. Assuming easy access to ammo, I primarily would use a rifle or perhaps a shotgun. Numerous traps would also be needed.

If the apocalypse had happened, causing a physical security risk, the bow would play a much more prominent role. Game laws, conservation, and ethical hunting practices would go out the window in a true live or starve situation.

I have read a lot of stories about people who went on bow based survival hunting trips. This would be fun, but I sure hope it never happens to me for real.
Sam

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 08:57:00 AM »
Guys lets remember this is TG....so lets keep this thread about weather of not you could do it with a trad bow.

Lets not let this turn into a gun/trapping thread or we will have to lock it up...

Thanx, Curt } >----->
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Stephengiles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 08:58:00 AM »
Fishing and traps. Lots of rivers in my state. Lots of things in those rivers besides fish too. I just hope if things go to crap I have a good supply of hot sauce.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 09:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by jrchambers:
if you had to kill every protein meal would you still have a viable place for your bow,  assuming you could at least maintain a moderate supply of components for a alternative weapon.
Yes
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline bobman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 09:16:00 AM »
I'd get rid of my camo and get a clown suit, then I would mug people coming out of McDonalds

"Stick em up and gimme all your cheeseburgers!" LOL

I actually did feed myself and my room mates with my bow and fishing rod when I was in college, we never went hungry.

Offline Robyn Hode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 09:26:00 AM »
Yes, but I wouldn't pass on as many animals as I do now looking for the perfect shot. I also agree with Thumper Dunker I would probably be eating a lot of animals I normally would not.
'Nothing's forgotten... nothing's ever forgotten' - Robin of Sherwood

Offline Tradtical Commando

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 09:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by bobman:
I'd get rid of my camo and get a clown suit, then I would mug people coming out of McDonalds

"Stick em up and gimme all your cheeseburgers!" LOL

I actually did feed myself and my room mates with my bow and fishing rod when I was in college, we never went hungry.
Hahahahaha a, that's hilarious!

The good thing about a bow is that it has a renewable source of ammo. 22 bullets run out. You can make more arrows. Speaking of, I really need to learn how.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2013, 09:29:00 AM »
I think I'd try but I doubt I could maintain it with hunting and fishing by itself.  I'd most likely be organizing or participating in Nightly assaults and raids on dooms day Prepper camps one by one until they where all pillaged.

I'd be the ultimate preditor trying to find a bite of something tasty..
"Us vs Them"

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2013, 09:31:00 AM »
Guru, I see your point. This could be a very thought provoking thread, or it could get away from us pretty quick. The question raised is valid to bow hunters but only as long as we restrict comments to where the bow itself actually fits into such a plan.
Sam

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2013, 09:32:00 AM »
If there was no choice, then whats the debate?  If my only choice was a bow, I would try and kill every critter I saw if it was the difference of eating or not eating.  seasons wouldnt matter and Foraging would be the larger part of my diet.  

Not much different than a bears diet I suspect.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©