3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: climber advice???  (Read 1204 times)

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: climber advice???
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2013, 01:12:00 PM »
I just got an "x" stand this year, and its pretty good and the lightest out there.  I feel safe climbing with it but it does feel pretty "open" once I get up.  It's light and great to climb with though.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2013, 01:39:00 PM »
I love my Summit Viper. I got a set of climber stabilizers like $19. from 3rd. Hand Archery. Best comb in climbers I think.

Offline no

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2013, 02:24:00 PM »
another nod for the Summit Razor,  I modified mine by putting the older open shot seat on it,  its still a sling seat but sits up higher w/o the back. For the gun I put on the one w/ the back.  Mike
Big Mike

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2013, 02:55:00 PM »
I've got locked to base of trees back in where I hunt, a Summit OpenShot, a Summit with open front..rails on sides, a Summit with rail all the way around, an Equalizer, a real old API Shoot n' Star and a real old Lone Wolf Handclimber.

I hunt almost every day and have used the Summit OpenShot 2 times (I did switch the short bottom platform with the longer Summit open front, all but the Lone Wolf Handclimber none and the Lone Wolf Handclimber all the rest of the time. I carry it a long ways sometimes and hunt right close to one of the others.

NBK gave most of the reasons why in his post.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2013, 06:48:00 PM »
I have a lonewolf and an API.

The API is the most comfortable stand I have ever used.  Its a bit heavier and bulky.  The lone wolf is great for long hikes to favorite spots.  If I only plan to sit for 6 or less hours, I will take the Lone wolf.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline EHK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2013, 08:59:00 PM »
I have a lone wolf hand climber and a summit viper.  As others have mentioned, the lone wolf packs and carries second to none, but it is not comfortable for long sits.  The viper is way more cumbersome to carry but the comfort is second to none.  I have no problem shooting out of it unless the intended target is directly below.  The trick with the viper, as i learned from someone who posted here, is to set the seat portion high.  If that bar is set up at waist level, you can draw the bow and not have  to worry about clearance of the lower limb.  Unless I'm hiking in far, the viper is my stand of choice.

Online TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2013, 10:34:00 PM »
Isn't the Summit Cobra the same stand as the Viper minus the rail?

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2013, 11:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by TGbow:
Isn't the Summit Cobra the same stand as the Viper minus the rail?
yes.

the Cobra rail folds up over your head. I think they phased it out because you have to unhook your safety strap to fold the rail over your head. I have never seen that officially addressed, but I'm pretty sure that's the reason they phased it out. The Razor has the same setup, but the bar folds underneath the seat instead.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline little_feather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2014, 12:13:00 PM »
Why not look into an Ol'Man climber?  I've got a multi vision that's super comfy (net seat), weighs 20 lbs and is much more portable than any summit you can find.  The stand folds flat, allowing me to pack camo and cat quiver right in with no worries.

If you're worried about being able to shoot out of it, just take the belly bar off and you're good to go! Worth a look for sure

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2014, 02:11:00 PM »
I use a very old, steel, Summit Cobra Climber that's open in the front. It weighs about 27# total and I've had it for several years. I bought it from a buddy of mine that upgraded to an aluminum Summit and he loves it. Actually, all of my hunting buds use Summits.

The best thing I did with mine was to buy a net seat to replace the bulky, fold-out, 3 piece cushion one. I also added Summit's foot stirrups and the adjustable shoulder straps they sell as well.

Yeah, it's kinda heavy but it sure is comfortable, quiet, and it's very solid when sitting and/or standing.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2014, 02:46:00 PM »
I have a Summit Razor, it has a seat climbing bar that folds down after you climb.  The stand is very comfortable and it is easy to fall asleep.  It is a great stand for bow hunting   I have never used a long wolf climber.
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2014, 07:02:00 PM »
Lone Wolf hand-climber for me, but then it's the only climber I've had.  I'm happy with it and have had no reason to try another.

Offline Nattybumppo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2014, 09:36:00 PM »
I've hunted Summit Goliaths and Vipers for the past 10+ years. I've tried Ol'Man and a few others. I just like how solid these are. I'm 6'0" and 260. It takes a good climber for me to feel comfortable.

Never had an issue with the rails, like how quiet they are, easy to set up, and they aren't too heavy. With a few adjustments I make to them they are even kind of comfortable to pack.
Stalker Coyote #53
Northern Mist #55
Hoyt Buffalo #55
Compton Member

Offline bluemoonrising

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2014, 09:49:00 PM »
Are the Summits as well made/sturdy as the LW (USA version)? Peace

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2014, 09:54:00 PM »
Lone wolf hand climber combo   :thumbsup:

Offline Nattybumppo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2014, 11:37:00 PM »
Bluemoonrising- Personally I think more so.

Plus it's the extra room for me that is important.
Stalker Coyote #53
Northern Mist #55
Hoyt Buffalo #55
Compton Member

Offline GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2014, 08:46:00 AM »
Is it still possible to stand too close to the tree and step through the summit? I managed that around ten years ago and never used one again. There was a big gap in mine between the first slat and the piece that sat against the tree.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2014, 09:07:00 AM »
Greg, I am guessing that the mfrs don't want you to stand close to the tree in a climber.  The thing that keeps you up there is the cam action against the tree, and the closer you are to the tree the less you have.  If you did that in the early climbers (remember the Bakers) you would be traveling down the tree very quickly.

Chuckc

Offline D.J. Carr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2014, 09:13:00 AM »
I bought an Ol'Man Alumilite this year and I am completely satisfied.  one of the better features is a removable/interchangeable front rail.  you can use it with no rail, a straight rail, a rail that can be used as a foot rest/ or reversed for a gun rest.....
Short sits I used it with no rail, and longer sits I put the foot rail on it as its nice to be able to change foot/leg positioning....
weight wise its in the same range as other alum. climbers..
An archer tries to find ways to shoot further more accurately, a bowhunter tries to get as close as possible to ensure his shot is accurate.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2014, 09:14:00 AM »
I like my Summit Open Shot but I have very limited experience.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©