3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I can't shoot short longbows as well  (Read 779 times)

Offline rocketman

• Trad Bowhunter
I can't shoot short longbows as well
« on: December 22, 2013, 08:22:00 AM »
Be forewarned, these are just some random thoughts that are bouncing around in my head, and in most cases probably obvious to even the most casual observer.  That being said...

I really like the look, feel and practicality of the short hybrid, reflex/deflex longbows.  I've tried several different models from various makers, and for me, with my less-then-consistent shooting form, I can always shoot longer-limbed, less aggresive bows better.  That is, until I tried one with a forward handle design.  The forward handle, particularly one with a small throat, somewhat high-wrist (think Kanati), seems to compensate for some of my errors (I guess maybe that's what's meant by a "forgiving" bow).  But there are limits, I've tried others that were of a radically aggressive reflex-deflex design, and forward handle or not, my shooting once again suffered.  Again, these are just my observations, and I'm sure your mileage may vary.

May God Bless, Merry Christmas!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I can't shoot short longbows as well
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 08:52:00 AM »
rocketman, it is good to hear from guys with such random thoughts, as it causes me from time to time to consider what I like best and why.

I do better with longer bows. My draw length is about 27", but I still prefer my longbows at 68". They seem to draw more smoothly. Being the simple minded Neanderthal that I am, I do best with a simple design such as the straight gripped Hill style bow.

Merry Christmas!
Sam

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 08:53:00 AM »
That's always been the case.  Has a lot to do with the more severe string angle when the short bow is fully drawn.  More finger pinch, whether one realizes it or not, makes it more difficult to get off the string cleanly.  The shorter limbs are more susceptible to torque in any direction, etc.  

Forward handle reduces vertical torque, and severe deflex coming off the handle makes for a more obtuse string angle when fully drawn, both features contributing to more stability/consistency, but they don't entirely solve the problem.

That being said, shorter bows can certainly be shot accurately.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 09:01:00 AM »
because it is oxymoron  :)   some can shoot short recurves and straight bows...but I think the number is much less than many let you believe.  Longer NTN length adds stability and forgiveness all other things being equal.

Never understood the desire for longbows less than 64"....as I dont feel I am hindered in woods on ground or in tree with bows from 64-68" which are considered short in the Golden Years of Archery.

You just adapt...stance, cant of bow, etc...
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 09:12:00 AM »
I found that short bows take a while to get used to. They are less stable to shoot so you have to concentrate on all aspects of shooting it. The way you hold the bow, your release, your form all have to be right on and really consistent. The good news is once you get good with a short bow your long bow shooting will have improved tremendously. d;^)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 10:15:00 AM »
I find for me the shorter bows benefit from a few more lbs. Of draw weight, seems to get the string off my fingers better.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 10:34:00 AM »
I love my 54" Shrew longbows.  Shoot just fine for me and great in blinds, tree stands or any hunting situation.  Other than some vintage Bears, my longest late model bow is 58".  I think it comes more down to grip for me.  I tried another short longbow and the grip wasn't quite right for me and I would torque the bow on release.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by Biathlonman:
I find for me the shorter bows benefit from a few more lbs. Of draw weight, seems to get the string off my fingers better.
My experience as well. I draw 30" and had a beautiful 56" Bowbolt Foam Carbon Classic Hunter 46@30. I usually shoot in the low 50's. Grip was perfect for me but I just couldn't shoot it consistently out past 15 yards. Gave up on short longbows until a 56" Classic Hunter Carbon without a Bowbolt popped up in the classifieds 51@30. Thought I'd try one more time. With the extra five pounds I got a much cleaner release and I can shoot it as well as any of my other longer bows.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline gordydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 11:47:00 AM »
I have 2 near identical 21st century design longbows  that only vary in draw weight a few pounds, but are 64" and 66".  The finger pinch is more obvious in the 64" and makes the release less forgiving.  I would like to go to the extreme and try a 70". In theory it would be the most forgiving bow to shoot of same design.

I do have a 68" reverse handle HH design that is a little heavy for me,  but it is really forgiving of my shooting flaws.  When warmed up and feeling strong I can shoot it really well. Stalked and killed 2 turkeys with it.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 12:15:00 PM »
Those ugly words "less than consistent shooting form" tend to be the deciding factor...I have a dual shelf d/r longbow that is 58 inches amo that I draw to over 30 inches...the throat of the grip on that bow is very wide because the bow started life as a blank and I am just not a very good woodworker...when I shoot that bow a lot I can shoot it, both right and left handed, as well as any bow I own including my 64 and 66 inch bows

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 12:22:00 PM »
Bowyer Dave Dwyer described the difference between his 62" r/d longbow and his straighter limbed 66+" longbow as " one is like driving a corvette and the other is a Cadillac".  
There are guys who can drive both equally, and there are those who can't.  Either way you still get there!
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 01:10:00 PM »
If you have less than consistent shooting form, you will never shoot well until you correct your form. A more stable bow is helpful, but the bow can not fix the quality of your shooting.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 02:43:00 PM »
I've had them from 56" to 66". And for me I shoot my 66"ers best. Lots of longbows out there I'd like to see made in a 64 or 66" length. rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 02:50:00 PM »
It is simply a matter of bow arm stability. If your bow arm is completely still on release you can shoot any bow well. Grip and length will sometimes help compensate for unstable form, but a steady arm is where the real skill resides.

Read this.   http://www.bowyersedge.com/elements.html

Offline rocketman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
Ghost Dog, good article, Thanks!

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
I've had bows from 52" to 66" both longbows and recurves. The two that I shoot the best and most consistently are my 58" Kanati and my 56" Orion recurve. I'm sure the Orion limbs would also be consistent, but they are a little stiff for me. For me at least, the grip makes way more difference than the length.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 10:44:00 PM »
I have tried various lengths, even a couple of inches longer can be a big improvement. For me a 64" RD is as short as I will go.

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2013, 11:17:00 PM »
I guess I'm just the opposite...60" is a Longbow for me.  I much prefer 56" and under.  Right now my bow of choice is a 52" Kestrel.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2013, 07:03:00 AM »
If you say you can...or say you can't, you will be correct.

I have never really sat back and said to myslef...Hey bigun, you need to be shooting "...bow" caus you can't shoot that other one as well.

Yes, at times it does happen that way, but mostly because I am just off my game. I try my best not to blame any bow for my inadequacies but instead blame me for them.  
When it comes to hunting especially, I know I'm going to make the shot no matter what bow I chose to use that day, even if it doesn't always work out how I "know" it will.
One of my favorite bows is only 58"s long and with my nearly 32" draw, many will say it can't be done. Don't put your money against a person of confidence!

Don't defeat yourself before you give it a go as the mind is a very powerful tool. (by the way, a go means more than an afternoon or weekend..or even a month if you really want it to happen)

BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2013, 08:47:00 AM »
Never had a problem with short or long.  I prefer short bows for many reasons.  In a short "longbow" I prefer a Pacific Northwest Paddle Bow style about 42" long, with about a 24" draw.  In recurves I prefer a 48" ntn Scythian style bow with a 26" draw.
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©