3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I can't shoot short longbows as well  (Read 780 times)

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I can't shoot short longbows as well
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2013, 08:50:00 AM »
I am on Big Jim,on this one. When I have a good form I can shoot any bow lenght equally well,in my bad days I am not accurate with any bow.
When I hunt it looks I take the shorter ones anyway,feel more free and I focus more on the hunt.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2013, 09:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by Orion:
That's always been the case.  Has a lot to do with the more severe string angle when the short bow is fully drawn.  More finger pinch, whether one realizes it or not, makes it more difficult to get off the string cleanly.  The shorter limbs are more susceptible to torque in any direction, etc.  

Forward handle reduces vertical torque, and severe deflex coming off the handle makes for a more obtuse string angle when fully drawn, both features contributing to more stability/consistency, but they don't entirely solve the problem.

That being said, shorter bows can certainly be shot accurately.
Orion is spot on here.....The only thing i disagree on is the part about shorter limbs being more susceptible to torque.

Here is a little photo shop illustration showing why some shorter bows can be very user friendly.....

This is a 60" Sasquatch with hybrid long bow limbs. Look closely at the string angle at full draw.

Another thing to look at here is the distance the limb travels from brace to full draw. In this photo the limbs are only moving 3"  at a 27" draw.
On a bow drawing 32" this same design only draws the limb back 4.5" ans still no finger pinch issues.....

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by rocketman:
Ghost Dog, good article, Thanks!
Glad you liked it. Dean Torges is one of the few guru level hunting archers, and a gifted writer.

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2013, 11:54:00 PM »
Very nice writing there by Mr. Torges - like the hair over heart concept, and discussion of optimism and the two "camps."  Don't often say something is inspirational - but this fits the bill.

For hunting, if I can shoot it well, I'd much prefer shorter.  I feel like grip and balance are more crucial to my shooting than length, but I also haven't shot many really long bows.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2013, 06:41:00 AM »
I would agree with Jim I'm 6"4 and if I'm on I shoot a short bow well if I'm off I don't shoot any thing well.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2013, 04:01:00 PM »
I really like my 60" MOAB and am in the process of getting a 62" Big River.  The later will probably not fit in any pop-up blinds I have but would be great in a tripod or for spot and stalk hogs.     :thumbsup:        :archer2:   But then I have a 27 1/2" draw.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member