3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How to build a Hoyt Buffalo clone?  (Read 621 times)

Offline Max-4

• Trad Bowhunter
How to build a Hoyt Buffalo clone?
« on: December 22, 2013, 06:59:00 PM »
Hey guys, if I wanted to build a bow that looked a lot like the Hoyt Buffalo takedown recurve, what would be the best aftermarket ILF riser and limbs to pick. Assuming I want a good quality CNC machined aluminum riser in blackout black and natural wood finished limbs. I would be shooting off the shelf and don't need any sights or stabilizer, only thing I could think of is possible a nice quiver mount.

I have looked around a bit and seen the Hoyt Excel riser in blackout and the Trad Tech glass/wood recurve ILF limbs. Is this the closest I am going to get, how is the quality on both these components?

The Hoyt Buffalo is a 19" riser and the Hoyt Excel riser is 21", what is this going to effect and what size Trad Tech libs do I need for a 60" and a 62" recurve?

I am basically trying to make a good shooting bow with some quality parts that comes out at about half the price of the Hoyt Buffalo. Is there any other aftermarket ILF risers that are 19" and come in blackout that don't have all the arrow rest and sight/ stabilizer holes in them, I don't need it. Thanks

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How to build a Hoyt Buffalo clone?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 08:13:00 PM »
Hard to beat the Hoyt Excel 21" ILF,good quality and decent price.You would need short limbs to be in the 60"-62" length bow.Most all your metal riser ILF will have tapped holes for most accessories,like stabilizer,quiver,sights and drilled for a plunger.But many you can still shoot off shelf.Of course you can find some good deals for a used Hoyt Buffalo in the classifieds,I've seen them for $425 to $525 more or less.

Offline el greco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
I dont see how you could come close.Buffalo uses the paralevel system,(see that litlle bridge between riser and limbs).ILF does not
From my cold,dead hands..

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
Just use the dorado riser and swap out the bushing in the ilf limb to the hoyt bushing.

Offline Max-4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
To clarify, I just want a good shooting hunting bow that looks like the Hoyt Buffalo but doesn't cost $800. Whether it has an ILF, Paralevel or DAS Dalaa limb system I couldn't really care less. I just want a nice black out riser hopefully 19" but possibly 17" or 21" and I wanna buy natural wood color limbs to make a nice 60" recurve for hunting deer. I want to shoot off the shelf so I jont need plunger or sight holes if the riser doesn't come with them. What do you think?

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 09:59:00 PM »
I think any of your options will work but I've noticed that the buffalo has a really poor resale value (good for you in this case).  You can pick one up in really good condition for around or less than $500, which is what your build will end up costing you anyhow.  I sold mine with the hoyt quiver for $525 I think it was.
>>>--------->

Offline el greco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
Hoyt Dorado Black out riser,TT glass wood limbs shorts.Pop out the ilf bushings ,install Dorado bushings.you could wait in the classifieds for a used Dorado Or go to the big auction site.Buy the hall thing the sell the Dorado limbs.
From my cold,dead hands..

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 10:35:00 PM »
The wood looking ILF limbs will cost more then the black glass ones.You could also use Onestringer Limsations,they come in many different patterns.Snake skin,woodgrain,camo and others!

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 10:53:00 PM »
Lots of options in ILF but what you'd have is essentially a black metal riser with woodgrain limbs that wouldn't look anything like an actual Buffalo in design. The closest riser in geometry would be either a DAS or Titan II but then you'd have blown the budget so you might as well have bought a a Buffalo to begin with.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Max-4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 08:06:00 AM »
I just really like the look of a blackout metal riser with the natural wood grain limbs. If for $400 I could buy a Hoyt Excel riser and TT wood/glass limbs and maybe it is better quality and shoots better than an actual buffalo.

I have read a few post saying that people don't think the Hoyt Buffalo warrants the high price. They said I would rather have x riser and blank limbs for the money. I'm just trying to find a cheaper alternative that may have better craftsmanship and shoot better than an actual Hoyt Buffalo.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 08:20:00 AM »
The Buffalo doesn't take a back seat to anything you are looking at in either quality of craftmanship or performance and you can buy them on the used market all day for $400-500. The Excel riser has less tortional stability and will flex some with heavier hunting weight bows. If you like the idea of ILF for choices in limbs there are much better risers for hunting bows out there but they are more expensive.

I shoot both a Buffalo and two ILF rigs so I'm not pushing one over the other but my ILF rigs are much more high end than the Excel and TT combo and the Buffalo will hang with them.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline sam barrett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 06:18:00 PM »
I would look for a used Buffalo.  I'm not a recurve guy as I much prefer longbows, but I owned a Hoyt Buffalo and it was AWESOME!  Probably one of if not the best recurve I've ever shot.  I got mine practically brand new with the Buffalo quiver for $575 at the time.  I think you'll be almost that for an ILF setup that you are describing.  Good luck.

Offline D.J. Carr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 08:57:00 AM »
I saw a new buffalo yesterday listed as "buy it now" for $650.  I don't think you will make a clone for much less.
An archer tries to find ways to shoot further more accurately, a bowhunter tries to get as close as possible to ensure his shot is accurate.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©