3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Speed doesn't matter?  (Read 830 times)

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Speed doesn't matter?
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2013, 10:43:00 AM »
All other things being equal, there's no question, I'd take the faster one.
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2013, 10:46:00 AM »
It's like posting the word '' Speed '' on this site it's a crime!

It's a very simple question. Would it take 1fps or 100000 fps.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2013, 10:52:00 AM »
My friend who shoots a state of the art compound (350fps) just told me he missed a doe that ducked the arrow at 20 yards. The last two deer I shot at and missed (darkness played a major part) were shot at 12 and 10 yards and never flinched when I shot.

So speed is not the answer unless you are shooting Fita, field archery or 3-D

To go back on topic, you'd have to be shooting a real dog to have the new bow that many fps faster than your old one since most modern bows all shoot within a few fps of each other in reality.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2013, 12:32:00 PM »
If you want faster without a crono use neutral or dark color fletches. If you want slower use white fletches. Walla   :bigsmyl:
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2013, 01:51:00 PM »
Some of you guys read into DB's question like my girlfriend does and add all kinds of stuff to it. Pretty simple question to answer, the faster bow is better if everything else is the same.  

And I think Ryan is on to something, maybe not some much proving point as it's more trad when someone turns up their nose at a fast bow.
lll

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2013, 01:58:00 PM »
Well there are some of us out here that don't think the whole speed thing is a joke at all. There are many traditional archers out there that want the best performance they can get from their bows, and 15 fps is something that you wouldn't need a chronograph to see the difference. take the two bows side by side and shoot them at 15 yards. Then step back to 30 yards.... the difference is going to be rather large.

To answer the original question given 2 identical bows and only the speed being the difference.With the 15 fps faster bow you would see a noticeable difference in the trajectory shooting them side by side. The faster flatter shooting bow will be much more forgiving to missed judged yardage estimates.....

I also respectfully disagree with Jim that most bows are within 3-5 fps in comparison given a similar design and set up with the same string.

There are all kinds of different people in this world. Some are quite happy to settle into a comfort zone and be quite satisfied with what they have become accustomed to...... Others like a bit of adventure in life.... Buy that new sports car, or the fastest state of the art bow.....

Is it necessary?  No... not at all.  But life is short, and i for one like a little adventure mixed in....   :readit:

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2013, 02:27:00 PM »
Good grief. The guy asked a simple question and we now debate how "red" blood is?  

2 identical bows.  Sure would take the faster one.  

And I have no idea when fast is "fast," and no idea how "fast" or "slow" my go-to bow is.

Go hunt, hike, or shoot or something.  Cabin fever is already an epidemic.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2013, 02:39:00 PM »
Put me down for the faster one.  The grip has to be right, it has to be quiet without a lot of vibration at the shot, and it has to be nice to look at.  If I can get those things then the faster the bow the better I'll like it.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2013, 03:04:00 PM »
all things equal the faster bow....
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Sherwood Poacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2013, 03:19:00 PM »
Must agree with SSWV......My McCullough Tsunami and my two Big River longbows are fast enough for me and accurate!

« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2013, 03:25:00 PM »
This is like a Perry Mason lawyer trick, ask a long involved question and then want a simple yes or no answer.  No one ever likes giving the simple yes or no answer, because some of us remember all of the speed promices of the past and tread carefully. Jack Howard Gamemaster Jet world's fastest bow, it was a great, fast bow with 2020s. Way too clumsy for me, so it failed as a hunting bow, for me. The guy who bought it from me, hunted antelope from a blind, it worked for him. I refuse to answer yes or no to a leading question, but I do like bows that faster that will still do what I want. To expect them to be the same? It is very likely that they will be different.

Offline Dawn Patrol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2013, 03:26:00 PM »
I would go with the one I am used to. I have been shooting stick bows since Moby Dick was a minnow and my brain is set for about 175fps. When I shoot the rocket bows I shoot too high and I'm not going to get rid of 9 other bows to learn a new one.
I put the "stink" in instinctive archery!

Offline daniel boon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2013, 04:22:00 PM »
It seems that when you mention the word "speed" to some, it's like waving a red flag infront of a bull.
 I thought it to be a pretty straight forward?, but it's obvious that lots don't understand the word "HYPOTHETICAL", and the phrase,"EXACTLY THE SAME EXCEPT FOR "SPEED". Or as soon as they saw the word "SPEED" they didn't read the rest of the post.
 Okay, 2 bows EXACTLY THE SAME (hypothetical), who'll take the slower one.
 You can't take quiet, dead in hand, accurate, etc, one, they are the SAME.
 If any given bow is too fast for you, you can always shoot a heavier arrow..
 Cheers Dan

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2013, 05:02:00 PM »
I started to other thread not to get into this '' SPEED '' discussion but to see what the average fps increase it would take for others to buy a new bow.

It's really simple. Is it 1fps, 5fps, 10fps, ect, ect. If nothing can pry you away from your pervious bow, then just say that. For me it would have to be over 15fps w/ everything else being equal. Now was that so hard.

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2013, 05:16:00 PM »
I haven't really thought about it honestly.  But my brain needs to be wired for abotu a 15y shot.  Any further and I tend to shoot low.  I would probably benefit from a more flat shooting bow but I've never chronoed mine to know if that's even possible.  I would say 15 FPS is significant enough to make a change provided I can still shoot a heavier weight hunting arrow accurately.
>>>--------->

Offline gonefishing600

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2013, 05:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by daniel boon:
It seems that when you mention the word "speed" to some, it's like waving a red flag infront of a bull.
 I thought it to be a pretty straight forward?, but it's obvious that lots don't understand the word "HYPOTHETICAL", and the phrase,"EXACTLY THE SAME EXCEPT FOR "SPEED". Or as soon as they saw the word "SPEED" they didn't read the rest of the post. Okay, 2 bows EXACTLY THE SAME (hypothetical), who'll take the slower one.
 You can't take quiet, dead in hand, accurate, etc, one, they are the SAME.
 If any given bow is too fast for you, you can always shoot a heavier arrow..

If they are the same design, style, limb core, riser would, draw weight, length, string, arrow rest, side plate, arrow, the same in every way "HYPOTHETICAL" as you put it; THEN "HYPOTHETICAL" THEY ARE GOING TO SHOOT THE SAME SPEED.

Lighten up, where just having fun with your question, Iron sharpens Iron!
JD Berry Argos 64" 48#&28"
Toelke Classic Whip 64" 46#@28"
Acs one piece 64" 46#@28"
BlackWidow PLX 66" 46#@28"

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2013, 07:17:00 PM »
Yup, hypothetically speaking, if they are the same except for speed, they ain't the same.  Something made one faster, it is different.  

But, that is just hypothetically speaking of course.

And what is wrong with liking what I have ?  Is that really an issue ?  Does everybody in this society have to want to run to the newest and greatest of everything ?  Really ?

ChuckC

« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2013, 07:36:00 PM »
The question poses the obvious answer, the unspoken point of the question is not worth argueing about. However, since such hypothetic situation rarely, if ever, happens, the objective responce makes such a question argueable.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2013, 07:39:00 PM »
I'm just as amazed at the ones who are surprised at the wandering threads on a question like this. What rock have they been hiding under the last several years?
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline gonefishing600

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2013, 07:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by pavan:
The question poses the obvious answer, the unspoken point of the question is not worth argueing about. However, since such hypothetic situation rarely, if ever, happens, the objective responce makes such a question argueable.
Huh!
JD Berry Argos 64" 48#&28"
Toelke Classic Whip 64" 46#@28"
Acs one piece 64" 46#@28"
BlackWidow PLX 66" 46#@28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©