3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Speed doesn't matter?  (Read 829 times)

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Re: Speed doesn't matter?
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2013, 07:42:00 PM »
I have tried a nice handful of bows of all different styles and I will say that difference of 10-15 fps, you're not often gonna see that on bows of the same style compared to each other..it's more when comparing say a Hill bow to a radical hybrid for example.  On two bows of the same style that are same rated draw weight but maybe just different limb materials and/or limb design variation you'll see better change/gains just changing string size/material and gpp and maybe draw length.  Putting on a skinny string and shooting 8-9 gpp imstead of 10-12 and making sure youre fully extending and not short drawing instead is much cheaper than buying a whole new bow.  To me the real benefit in more exotic materials is gaining things like torsional and lateral stability in a limb and hence maybe more forgiveness.  There is so much misunderstanding out there as to the benefits of carbon or foam in a limb.  Some bowyers like Sixby or Kirk could chime in and explain. From what i remember, many out there think carbon/foam limbs for example are all about speed but one benefit that is often overlooked by hunters is that limb type's ability to resist temperature changes affecting performance better than glass/wood.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline gonefishing600

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2013, 08:05:00 PM »
It's funny you should mention temperature! I have noticed a slight difference in performance in several of my bows on large temperature swings. IE; Say one day it's 70+, and then the next day it's in the 30 or 40's.

I was going to start a thread on this subject but never did.
JD Berry Argos 64" 48#&28"
Toelke Classic Whip 64" 46#@28"
Acs one piece 64" 46#@28"
BlackWidow PLX 66" 46#@28"

Offline bowtough

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2013, 07:40:00 AM »
Speed is important to me, I like it. And it does kill!    :thumbsup:

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2013, 08:51:00 AM »
Why would I consider giving up my favorite bow?  I wouldn't even consider giving up my 25 year old LL Bean Guide Wool shirt for a new one.
T ZZZZ

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2013, 09:01:00 AM »
I use my Bear is not the fastest but I can shoot it well and I never had a deer say DAM that is a fast bow.  LOL
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2013, 09:20:00 AM »
Looks like there's a demand for bowyers who intentionally build slower bows. Things that make you go…HMMM?

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2013, 09:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by Manitoba Stickflinger:
Looks like there's a demand for bowyers who intentionally build slower bows. Things that make you go…HMMM?
made me lol
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2013, 09:44:00 AM »
Originally posted by daniel boon:
HYPOTHETICALLY, take 2 bows, Your favourite one, and the new one. Both exactly the same, looks, weight, string etc, shooting the same arrow, everything the same, except the new one is 10-15fps faster.
 Which one would you go home with. (silly?)
Back to the original question - how much speed increase would you need to replace your current bow?  Not which would you pick off a pile of free bows, etc.  It is assumed you'll be a pile of cash lighter after the transaction if you go with the new faster bow, I believe.  And IF speed were the only difference (how that could be achieved is another question).

I doubt I'll ever buy a "new" bow again, so I'll buy the 3 fps slower bow someone is casting off for $120 when it comes up on some bid site and no one is interested in that old, slow dinosaur.        :laughing:    

I like the old technology, not the cutting edge stuff.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©