3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dedicated Ground Blind Bow...  (Read 322 times)

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
Dedicated Ground Blind Bow...
« on: September 12, 2007, 10:44:00 PM »
I'm looking into adding a dedicated ground blind bow to the rack.  This bow's job would be to take deer-antelope out to a max of 20 yards from a Double Bull Blind.

I'm not interested in waiting for a custom to be built so the list of bows I can identify for the task is relatively short. Looks like this:
Lee Dark Archer (54")
Bear Kodiak Mag (52")
Bear Super Mag (48")
Martin Rebel (52")

I've asked about the Dark Archer and gotten nothing but positive responses.  There are lefties in stock and ready to ship. However, I'm not finding much info other than the product descriptions in regard to the others.  Can anyone provide some hands on opinion on them?

If possible, I want the sight window to be large enough to accomodate an elevated rest (this is my sole bellyache in regard to my CM Hunter 56). From the pictures, it looks like all three of these one piece bows may have an adequate sight window for a rest.

Also of interest is finger pinch or lack thereof with these bows.

Finally, is the Rebel compatible with Fast Flight strings?
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dedicated Ground Blind Bow...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 11:14:00 PM »
Your draw lenght may be a major consideration. I don't know what that is, if its 28-30 inches. Non of the above, except maybe the Lee as I have not handed one. If your draw lenght is as above, bows like the Screw,Griffins,and such with a forward riser will do better with less finger pinch for us knuckle dragers.

Brent

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 11:30:00 PM »
I pull 29 1/2 and get along OK with my 63 KM, not sure if they are all that way or not, but in essence agree, short bows and long draws can be a problem.. Best to shoot the bow before you buy.
Not sure what the new Bear Grizzly's are for length but over the years they made some 56 and 58" bows that a lot of people like
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 11:51:00 PM »
28"-28.5" draw.

As stated I have a CM Hunter 56 which gets the call unless I can find a suitable one piece recurve.  A CM Raven would be great, but lefties available for purchase are about as rare as hen's teeth.

My chance of finding left handed try bow in the above models is even more scarce...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 01:03:00 AM »
Hey John,

I wouldn't rule out bows in the 56 and 58 inch range either.  I've got a 58" Bear Kodiak Hunter that I draw to 28.5" and don't feel any finger pinch.  I have NO problems shooting this bow from a blind either.  I don't think you'd have to go below 58" to shoot very comfortably from a DB.  Might also open up some reasonably priced used lefty bow possibilities as well.  BTW, those old Bear bows are really good shooters.

Stan

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 05:46:00 AM »
Don't dismiss Big Ron's Shrew bows without at least a quick phone call. He may have something in stock and available for immediate delivery.
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 07:54:00 AM »
With a less than long draw, I wouldn't worry about it and get the one you like... I'd love to get my hands on a Dark Archer, look mighty sweet to me.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 04:46:00 PM »
Set up a Double Bull Blind and shot my 60" H2, 58" H1, and 56" H56 out of it.  I don't cant much, so even with the H56 I was having hell's own time shooting w/o hitting the upper limb on a wall or roof.

So a new bow is in order.  The winner for several reasons is the 52" Kodiak Magnum.  Just got off the phone with the dealer and my new LH 55#@28" K-Mag should be here in a week...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 07:16:00 PM »
Bob Lee , is keeper...its the one Id shoot!!  :thumbsup:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 07:57:00 PM »
You may want to check with RER and see what bows they  may have in the Arroyo 54" length in stock.  I have a 58" Arroyo and it is a gret shooter.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline B-DOG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 09:06:00 PM »
what about the black widow psr? it looks like it might be good for ground blinds.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2007, 10:14:00 AM »
All good suggestions.  I'm going with the K-Mag as it's a bit shorter yet than the Dark Archer and Arroyo. 52" should be short enough w/o going to the 48" Super Mag.  It has a good reputation for cast & shootability for a shorty. Also, I ordered through a retail dealer, so will be trading in a trading stock 338 Mag I have in the safe.  Will end up actually paying maybe the sales tax.  By going new rather than used off the Classifieds or that auction site, I get full warranty, up to date materials & production, and Fast Flight capability...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2007, 10:38:00 AM »
Good choice. Killed my first deer with a K-mag in 1976 still have a 55@28" now but use my Lees more but would not be afraid to climb a stand with one.The sight window is great for such a short bow no problem with a rest in fact in the mid 70's on that is what they came with a bear weatherest.Kip

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2007, 10:46:00 AM »
Thanks Kip.  No problem if I had to shoot feathers off the shelf as I have two bows that require it.  Just prefer to shoot vanes off an elevated rest...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2007, 10:55:00 AM »
Jon you should see my blood trailing yellow lab now big beautiful and working pretty good for my limited training.Although still a puppy at 7-8 months he will work out, pretty smart.Last time we spoke he was just a small puppy.I know this is off track but since it is your thread and I know you like dogs tought I would update you on my project.Kip

Offline hoebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2007, 10:57:00 AM »
good luck with the bear I had one, but finger pinch got me, as well as the stacking. I have never shot a Bear bow yet that did not stack like a bear. Know what I mean.
ABR

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2007, 11:30:00 AM »
Sheepeater Spirit Obsidian!!!  I bet Brent could get you one reasonably quicly too!

50" AMO and smooth out to my 29".  Easy to shoot well too.  Definitely a win win situation.
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2007, 05:45:00 AM »
Jon you should see my blood trailing yellow lab now big beautiful and working pretty good for my limited training.Although still a puppy at 7-8 months he will work out, pretty smart.Last time we spoke he was just a small puppy.I know this is off track but since it is your thread and I know you like dogs tought I would update you on my project.Kip  

Very cool.  Is there anything a lab can't do!?  :thumbsup:
"As Trad as I wanna be"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©