3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 4 shots 4 misses!!  (Read 728 times)

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
4 shots 4 misses!!
« on: December 25, 2013, 07:55:00 PM »
Man I am struggling I have shot at 4 deer under 20 yards all broadside, missed a doe tonight from the ground, shot a foot in front of her, did that on a buck at 5 yards. Shot over the other 2 one from the ground the other from a tree.

I know what the problem is I am just shooting at the whole deer and not picking a spot, hair, crease or something.

Can't seem to get it together. Theses deer came in behind me I was in my ghillie suit, and small tripod stool. I got out of the chair and was getting set for a shot behind me. Well with one leg way out on one knee, you know they had to change direction and came into my lane, I was off balance but no excuse.

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 4 shots 4 misses!!
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 08:07:00 PM »
Sounds like you are doing more right than wrong to me. Getting shots at deer from the ground and in a ghillie. Not knowing you or your experience level, it sounds like you are having a good time and have identified the problem.

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 08:18:00 PM »
Yes Sir sounds like your having a good time.   :thumbsup:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 08:21:00 PM »
You just need to focus on the spot. Try and pick your spot as soon as possible and don't take your eyes off it. When it's time to take the shot you will be focused.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 08:31:00 PM »
also practice picking a spot all the time, not just when hunting. when you look at a car tag, pick out 1 number. pass a mailbox, pick the pivot for the flag, look at a door, focus on the knob, etc etc
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 08:43:00 PM »
Whitetail on the ground are tough, concentrate on the elbow,smaller target. Hit it a heart shot,if it drops double lungs.You may as well quit counting misses,,, there will be more misses. With time more harvests with less misses.

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 08:53:00 PM »
I was having somewhat similar issues. For me, like you, the problem came from a difficulty picking spots. After 18 years of compound hunting with fixed sights, I could not get over the need for a hard reference under pressure. So I learned a gap system and I'm doing much better now. Just the reassurance of my references gives me confidence.

Offline akaboomer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 09:05:00 PM »
Even when your having a practice session your preparing for that moment.  So what I do is not just pick a spot on the bag target but go through the whole shot process while visualizing the scenario being a hunt. Every shot for me is a practice in visualizing a hunt. You will be surprised by how this makes the moment of truth much easier.

Chris

Offline Jasper2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2013, 09:16:00 PM »
Adam,

A lot of good advice has been given already.

Shooting high is fairly common and can be caused by a variety of things some of which have little to do with the shooter....like alert animals dropping at the shot. However, shooting a foot in front of 2 animals at very short range would have me concerned because that is not nearly as common. Actually, it is rather difficult to do with a properly tuned arrow at 5 yards in my opinion.

Do you have any problems on targets at short ranges, Even occasionally? And do you shoot with the arrow under your dominant eye?
Take care,
Jason

56" Centaur Chimera 50#@27"

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 09:16:00 PM »
You have the hunting part down, now time to work with your nerves. I have the same issue with nerves.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 09:22:00 PM »
been there! here is something I don't often admit. my first 2 years with a recurve I missed 12 deer. 3 from the ground and 9 from treestands. all under 20 yards!!!!
 was shooting at the whole deer as well and when you shoot at the whole deer your eyes are drawn to the edges. usually the top edge and the deer reacts and we miss.
  In hind sight I would not trade those 2 years for anything now. I learned so much in those 2 years from all the close calls and full hunting season I would not trade a single second of it.
 Those 2 years of missed helped make me the hunter I am today.
I still miss a couple deer a year on average. some years I don't miss any other years I might miss 3 while trying to fill 6 or 7 tags. all part of the game.
don't worry about it. learn as much as you can. have as much fun as you can. and keep at it.

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
Sounds so simple to pick a spot. Much easier in backyard than when in the moment of truth. Anyone try a sight or a peep or something to get you to focus?
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2013, 10:25:00 PM »
I make sure that during my practice sessions that I duplicate how I shoot deer. Most of the time during practice, I am not worried about spooking my target by drawing my bow, so I just pull it back and shoot. If I did that on a deer, it would surely see the movement and spook.

Next time you are practicing, get that stool out, sit down and draw your bow back slow and smooth like you are shooting a deer.

I hope that makes sense.
Benjy
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2013, 10:28:00 PM »
Just to help you break the ice try this...

You'll find that on a deer if you place the tip of your arrow at it's feet with your periferal vision your arrow will hit the lungs.

It's the system Howard Hill advocated in his writing.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2013, 10:30:00 PM »
sounds like you are having fun,,, but to fix it I'd start stump shooting or better yet shooting at hay bales with no targets on them... plain ole blank faced hay bales are the perfect color to practice picking a spot on deer.

deer targets are nice too..

finally look at nothing but the spot you want to hit when the deer comes in,, their eyes and ears are in your peripheral vision,, I never take my eyes off that area behind the shoulder.
"Us vs Them"

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2013, 10:32:00 PM »
Looking forward to reading of your success.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2013, 10:39:00 PM »
You're sort of panicking at the shot.  Rushing and not picking a spot. I know. I've been there, done that.  I've been hunting with a stick for more than 50 years, and still blow a shot occasionally.

Here's my mantra now.  When I have a critter in range, I tell myself, "You're either going to get the shot, or not.  Don't rush it.  If you get a good shot, take it, if not, let him walk."  Helps calm me down ( And yes, after 50 years, I still need calming down). When I've had tim eto think about the shot this way, I've never missed.  

Stick in there.  It will come together for you.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2013, 12:03:00 AM »
Get Jay Kidwell's book, Instinctive Archery Insights. He is a sports psych and explains what is going on inside your brain- perfect sense! The button technique is the only thing that has worked for me even after 25 years of trad (and 40 years of archery!).  "Pick a spot" has NEVER worked for me on game.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2013, 12:35:00 AM »
Thanks for the pointer, the bows tuned, I can tear it up on a 3 range, but come game time I'm like tony romo.

Sorry cowboy fans, I really appreciate the folks sharing there progression with me.

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2013, 06:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by Keb:
Thanks for the pointer, the bows tuned, I can tear it up on a 3 range, but come game time I'm like tony romo.

Sorry cowboy fans, I really appreciate the folks sharing there progression with me.
LOL !!!!  great analogy !!!!!!!!!!!
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©