3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wool: what is your preference?  (Read 782 times)

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wool: what is your preference?
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2013, 09:09:00 AM »
Wool is good but here is something I have done recently after listening to my dad preach about it for years. Get yourself a good base layer, then layer with some thinner wool stuff like sweater, or asbell pullover or whatever you have. Then get on the auction site and get a WALLS blizzard proof insulated jacket in your size (probably about 20-25$). My dad has had one for as many years as I can remember and it is one of the warmest jackets I have ever owned. It is kinda puffy and you'll sorta feel like a michelin man, however it is not bulky if that makes sense. They are silent and trap the heat really well. They do a pretty good job of keeping wind out and they are light to carry into your spot. I think wool is good for layering but not very good as an outer layer unless it has some of that windstopper lining in it. Good luck finding your system!

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2013, 09:35:00 AM »
I would go with Silent Predator as well,great stuff and a good price.Bernie Parson is the man you want to deal with you won't be disappointed.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2013, 09:51:00 AM »
"IF" money wasn't an option, for ultimate warmth I would go with Gray Wolf and opt for the lining. I had KOM but switched to GWW as the weave seemed much tighter. I have the GWW unlined pullover and with proper layering it has not been an issue, but they offer a wind stop lining that should work well.

I believe they have the ASAT now in addition to the Predator patterns.I had the shirt made about 12 years ago and it still looks new. We took the measurements per the GWW instructions and the fit is perfect.

Most of the time I get by with my Asbell wool, but this year has been a bit colder and windier that usual. If you are easy to fit the Cabelas wool may work well for you. I'm built kinda like a gorilla so sometimes I have trouble with sleeve length.

Good luck! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2013, 10:13:00 AM »
As most of the wools mentioned are made here, I do like them. I have a Gray wolf vest with the wind blocker, I usually wear that over a Swanndri shirt, and of coarse I have base layers on. The Swanndri is truly rain proof ( found this out in Idaho, while hunting elk ), but oddly not wind proof. If it's windy the GWW vest goes on and that takes care of that problem.

I wear smart wool or fleece next to the skin, then wool.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2013, 10:17:00 AM »
well if sleeping indian hadnt gone out of buisness i would highly reccomend them as i have that and KOM wool, the KOM bibs i have are great for sitting in a stand but pretty bulky for walking very far.. i LOVE my sleeping indian pull over..
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2013, 10:27:00 AM »
Base layers & windblock are a must.  My wool does not come out unless it is in the thirty degree range otherwise it is too hot.

I always start with silk then merino wool as base layers with different weights of silk and merino.

I have used heavy silk, heavy merino, plus the wooltimate.  I have sat in temps down to -5 for up to three hours.
Inquiring minds.......

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2013, 05:24:00 PM »
Getting a real education here. THanks much!!
Hill

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2013, 08:13:00 PM »
For really really cold, I have heavy wool pants,(Swedish) two layers of longjohns,(silk and merino), wool longjohns on top, then a Filson shirt, a Filson vest and a camo double mac. Drop to zero with less than 10 mph wind add a Norwegian sweater, colder yet, cover it all with frog tog raingear. My headgear changes a lot I do not have a problem with my head and neck.

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2013, 08:41:00 PM »
I was able to put my wool to test Thanksgiving week hunting in Vermont in -6* and 10-20 mph winds.
I wore Core4 merino wool crew top, 1/4 zip top and long johns, (light layers) a 1/4 zip micro fleece top, with a Cabelas Wooltimate vest, jacket and pants. I also added or substituted an Asbel wool pull over under the wooltimate jacket. I wear a Stormy Cromer wool hat and a Fleece neck gaiter. And of course merino wool and rag wool socks, and wool gloves. This was the first time I actually  could say I stayed warm under those conditions.

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »
I have KOM pants and jacket they are warm but without the liner the wind goes through it. Same with my Sleeping Indian wool.

With that being said I bought a used Stand master KOM coat with the lining that zips out and I have hunted in wind below zero and stayed warm. This is on a stand not walking. I also had a KOM shirt under the stand master.  I actually consider it more a parka since it covers the hips also. You can not walk any distance with the stand master on or you will overheat.

One thing I like about KOM is you can hunt in drizzling rain and it sheds the water. It has to rain steady before it becomes wet and I haven't had it soak through the liner yet.
PBS  Member

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2013, 09:12:00 PM »
I have never owned any of the ultra expensive wool like KOM, SI, etc, just can't afford it.  I do have 2 jackets and 1 vest in Filson wool and some Cabelas wooltimate bibs and think they are all excellent.  I do have a Columbia wool shirt jac and it is a good early season ,outer garment, just not a tight enough weave for when it gets really cold out.

Online happy1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2013, 09:20:00 PM »
I have the Gray Wolf with the wind liner, it is a tight weave wool and no air comes through with the liner.  I sold my KOM after buying the Gray Wolf.  My opinion the Gray Wolf is a lot warmer and better made.
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2013, 09:44:00 PM »
Cost is certainly a factor and I am no longer SOLD on expensive hunting stuff necessarily being better. My old friend John Collins told me marketing is where the money is made. Look at all the scents on the market. Ever wonder what that scent killer stuff is made of?

I hate wasting money.

justin
Hill

Offline Knotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2013, 01:57:00 AM »
Lots have weighed in on this.  Given where I'm from I have experience with cold from time to time.  

My current Layering setup goes like this.  Merino next to the skin, Inexpensive wool or fleece as a mid layer and a more wind resistant shell on top like a shoeller (some if this stuff is tolerably quiet and you can find it at some retailers for not too much money.   Over that I put on a 14.99 camo long sleeve camo t or a plaid.   I can quickly strip down before a big move or walk and it's light.  Don't overlook a layer approach to socks, mits, hats, etc. I almost forgot about a merino buff/neck warmer.  

The biggest obstacle for me is not the cold but the wind.  The differing layers blocks the wind better IMHO. Here a prevailing north wind is a soul stealer and it's downright demoralizing when you feel that cold gust of wind pick up and it blows right through you're $450 woolie.   When it gets brutal I'm not against wearing a down vest.   Heres my logic.  Wear 3 (4)layers that are excellent on their own at $100-150 a pop ($300-450 total) and they will give you more performance and flexibility than ANY single garment will... even the ultra high end stuff.  I would love to own a KOM setup or the like but I just cant justify it.   Another rule of thumb is spend the money on what goes next to your skin.  Im a big icebreaker fan for next to skin.
56" TD Checkmate Hunter, #55@28
66" Checkmate Crusader, #60@28
60" Meland Pronghorn LB, 65@28

Offline Knotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2013, 02:02:00 AM »
I will ad that i bought a sweet 100% merino sweater from a menswear store for $20 on a discount rack.  The weave is decently tight and comfy.  This one slipped past the minister of finance as she believes its for work.
56" TD Checkmate Hunter, #55@28
66" Checkmate Crusader, #60@28
60" Meland Pronghorn LB, 65@28

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2013, 06:02:00 AM »
Knotter has some great points. If you start out with merino or some blend long johns and add a quality sweater over them you can worry much, much less about your outer layers.

If you can find a cheap cashmere sweater buy it fast. It melts into your other layers and insulates like you would believe. Lets you wear 2 sweater with the bulk of one.

Offline Ron Vought

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2013, 08:47:00 AM »
I had the opportunity to field test my new Silent Predator Grizzly wool coat last evening. I wore a base layer, cotton pull over, Filson vest underneath the coat and was toasty warm. Couldn't believe how warm I was at the end of the hunt last evening. The Silent Predator does have the lining in the Grizzly coat. I would recommend going a size larger if you plan on layering.

Ron

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2013, 11:41:00 AM »
I got a new Stormy Kromer wool vest for Christmas, have worn it twice now chasing rabbits. One of my new favorites.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline degabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »
Went out last evening wore my old issue polypros under an old Woolrich shirt with an Asbell pullover top. Wore my green Codet wool pants with longjohns. Everything was good down to about 10 degrees then I called it quits.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2013, 06:37:00 PM »
Good deal right here if they fit...

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=204;t=000122  

I have the Gray Wolf unlined wool bibs, they are very nice but do have there limits. The lined and insulated would be awesome for the late season.

Eric

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©