3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Perfect mid-layer for cold weather?  (Read 421 times)

Offline TubbsTru

• Trad Bowhunter
Perfect mid-layer for cold weather?
« on: December 26, 2013, 12:32:00 AM »
I've been looking for a long time for the perfect mid-layer for cold weather. I bowhunt all season in Wisconsin and need something for stand sitting. I'm wearing mid-weight merino baselayers and have the comformax/liteloft wolfskin stuff from Gray Wolf Woolens on the outside (which is pretty darn warm, but I could still use something in between in really cold weather for sitting all day). It needs to be easy to layer with, silent, and provide that extra level of warmth. Fleece? Wool (real wool)? More Merino?
Merry Christmas everyone!

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Perfect mid-layer for cold weather?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 08:24:00 AM »
I'd go with a fleece vest with a wind stop lining.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 08:28:00 AM »
Prob the best would be a high quality down jacket
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 08:28:00 AM »
Asbell wool vest w/ hood

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 09:29:00 AM »
I dont know how those "Heater Body Suits" are cuz Ive never tried them,  but for standard style of clothing, the bottom line "cold" hard truth,  is no matter what you have on,  when the blood pumping slows down (your movement),  the heat stops coming!  You can be wearing $2500 worth of wool head to toe....if you sit for a while with no movement,  you are gonna feel the chill! Period!   That being said,  if its brutal cold,  you can only sit so long with no source of heat.  For sitting for a bit in temps just before the realm of stupid cold,  I wear heavy merino against my skin,  a hooded sweatshirt as a mid layer (try this,  Im tellin' ya!) and either one of my Asbell zip wool hoodies or my heavier wool jacket from Autumn Wood Outfitters.  I have to say also....unless its strangley warm on a day which happens from time to time,  Im wearing wool bibs,  also from Autumn Wood.  The chest portion of the bib and back coverage are KEY to keeping the torso (your core) warm!   The merino and regular cotton hoodie are under the wool bibs.  Heavy merino leggings too,  inside the bibs. I dont get cold dressing like this!  And Id classify myself as a good sitter.   Its always my toes that start to feel the cold first, after sitting several hours....and I have good boots,  so thats when I know....gotta move a little,   unfortunately.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 09:37:00 AM »
I like a heavyweight/expedition weight merino wool like Ufrotte for a mid-layer. That goes over a lighter weight merino wool, which I often wear over silk.  I like the Autumnwood wool for an outer layer.  About the heaviest wool out there, and the jackets and parkas have a pretty good wind blocking material on the inside.  Sometimes will add a wool vest under the jacket.  Could wear a vest overt the jacket, but in this case, the jacket is bigger than the vest so the vest goes under. I agree with LookMom.  Bibs are warmer than pants

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »
I like merino wool as the mid layer, not the base layer. Assuming you're sitting while hunting, as opposed to western style stalking, I like UA Cold Gear as the base. The tight, compression UA. (Order 2 sizes larger if you can stand to lose 20 pounds-LOL)

From there I like merino wool next.

The hidden secret now is get the Simms union suit. I used to own a fly fishing store and this is what guys want when they wade in for Winter Steelhead. This keeps all the heat in. Read all the reviews-all 5 star...
 http://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/layering/guide-fleece-bib.html

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 10:32:00 AM »
For a middle layer you may want to go to the thrift store and buy a 100% wool sweater for practically nothing. Take the money you save and buy the warmest hat you can find.
Sam

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 10:40:00 AM »
I've picked up Merino wool sweaters of different weight at Costco the last two years to use for layering.  I like to have a light and heavy one in my pack with hunting in Alaska.  You never know when you will need a warm dry layer there.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 10:40:00 AM »
Oh, I forgot another great piece of gear. When it's super cold and you're sitting, get a handwarmer vest. These have pockets sewn in and you can put like 8 big handwarmers all around your torso. It's almost too warm sometimes.
 http://papaswarehouse.com/product/climate-control-vest/

Offline TubbsTru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 10:47:00 AM »
Mojostick- you have no idea how many times I've looked at that Simms suit!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Offline Fisher Cat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 11:35:00 AM »
I wear a light to medium weight, unlined wool jacket.  I also bought a (new manufacture) army field jacket liner.  When it gets real cold, I use the liner with the wool jacket.  The field jacket liner weighs next to nothing, is very compactable, quiet and comfortable.  You can also wear it tucked in under a shirt if it's not as cold.  With a decent hat and long underwear, it keeps me about as warm as I want to be. I think it cost about $20 or so. - John

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 12:06:00 PM »
I agree 100% with the field jacket liner and or thermal sweatshirt. I've been using both this year and both work great.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2013, 12:20:00 PM »
Tubbs,

Of my hunting buddies that are serious about it, they have either bought the Simms suit or intend to do so when they have the spare funds.

It's got the stirrup's so they don't ride up and a 2 way zipper for when you're layered up big and then have to take a leak.

The suit helps trap the heat in the middle of the body and it's also fleece silent. You won't be disappointed.

If anyone has hopped into a freezing river in January with waders to chase Winter steelhead, you'll also want this suit as a top layer.

Offline ChetterB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2013, 07:00:00 PM »
I am a big fan of wool. This year bought a heater body suit, love it. I also hunt late season Wisconsin.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2013, 07:07:00 PM »
From Texas and have nothing for you.  :-) For us a bone chiller is 20 degrees and they don't happen often.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2013, 07:20:00 PM »
Mid layer - a quiet goose down vest.  Merino under, outer wool over and you are set!

Kris

Offline TubbsTru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2013, 07:32:00 PM »
Yeah- as far as down- I've had great success in terms of warmth (there is nothing warmer), but could never get over the noise of most down stuff. Any suggestions on a quiet down vest?

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2013, 07:44:00 PM »
Mid layers mind you but I wear a heavy USGI WW2 wool shirt and a light down jacket under my wool outer coat and over merino wool underwear for sitting. I carry those mid layers in a pack while walking.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2013, 08:54:00 PM »
It was -4 wind chill, go with the wind chill when judging what to wear. Example of what I wore
Sitka tee shirt then ulfrotte heavy weight, then Sitka thin down jacket, fleece vest then  old thin scent blocker jacket , then hunter safety vest.
Ulfrotte long underwear, then scent blocker light weight pants and any boot. I climb my stand then layer up. Lastly I put my body heater suit on. I forgot my hat so I just had a fleece headband. Totally comfortable and didn't feel restricted,  I shot a practice arrow.  Worse thing for me is dozing off because I hunt high in the late season. I am strapped in with a safety line but still dangerous. I also did not put my light weight gloves on in the suit. When deer came, I was holding the bow waiting for a shot to present itself and it was  miserable. My hand was burning.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©