3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Slammer questions  (Read 230 times)

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
Slammer questions
« on: December 26, 2013, 09:52:00 AM »
For any of you all who have experience with Leon's bows.

I'm looking for your thoughts on 1 pc vs takedown.  How does the shooting experience differ between the 2?  

Also would love to hear from anyone who has shot the 60" Slammer Special.  That is what I'm leaning toward at this time.

Thanks
Ken
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Slammer questions
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 10:00:00 AM »
I have a three pc. slammer, it is my favorite bow and one of the most accurate bows ( ease of shooting ) that I have, I think the main difference between a take down and a one pc, would be the weight, which for me seems to make the heavier three pc easier to hold on target. It's also much easier to travel with.

If your thinking of ordering one, you should call Leon and ask him, he is a real nice guy and would be more than happy to answer all your questions.

Good luck.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Ron Vought

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 10:03:00 AM »
Ken -

The take down of course has more mass weight and shoots very well however I personally like the one piece Slammer Special in the 62" version. My favorite Slammer by far is the 64" and that is also Leon's favorite. I have tried just about every variation in the Slammer and keep coming back to a one piece 64" with some mass weight in the riser with yew sandwiched between layers of  bamboo for the limb core wood. Either way you won't be disappointed.

Ron

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 11:11:00 AM »
I shot the 64" one piece Slammer at the baltimore Bowmans and boy is it nice.  He did not have a 3 piece available to shoot so I heald off making a purchase.  I really wanted a  take down so decided to hold off until I could compare.  Now that I picked up a RER LX takedown I am going to just buy the one piece slammer.  Lots of great bows out there and Leons is up there with the best.
T ZZZZ

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 03:30:00 PM »
Talk to Leon!!  3pc is a good bit heavier, a benefit to stability for some.  Mine is my no.1. Practically shoots itself LOL
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »
I have both a 64" takedown Slammer and a 64" one piece Slammer.  I love them both.  The key for me is that the grip is the same on both. Grip is probably the most important thing for me in shooting a bow well. As others have said, the biggest difference is mass weight, with the takedown obviously being heavier. I was a little concerned at first with the lighter 1 piece that I would be torquing the bow more and moving it around too much, causing erratic shots. I have not found that to be the case. The bows feel different because of the weight but I can shoot them equally well.  It is probably worth mentioning that I am mostly a recurve guy and Leon's bows are the only longbows I have found that I can shoot reasonably well. How well you would shoot one or the other would likely depend on what mass weight bow you are most familiar with. Try them both out. You won't be sorry. The only bow I sold that I wish I had back was a 66" takedown Slammer. It was the same draw weight as my 64" which is the only reason I sold it but it was a sweet bow.

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
Really helpful responses so far guys.  Keep'em comin'.

Anyone had the opportunity to shoot a 60" Slammer Special?
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 04:41:00 AM »
I have had pretty much every model Leon has built. I really enjoy the one piece Slammers. I had a 60" Slammer and loved it but held on to my 62" due to my draw length.(31") The 60" had no problem handling the draw length I just liked the feel of my 62" better. Give Leon a shout he is a pleasure to work with and can answer all your questions.
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©