3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thinking about taking the plunge into traditional archery  (Read 573 times)

Offline Tca126

• Trad Bowhunter
Thinking about taking the plunge into traditional archery
« on: December 26, 2013, 11:20:00 AM »
Hello all, I am a new member to the forum. I have been hunting with compounds for approximately 15 yeards. I was at a bow shop a few weeks ago and a nice guy let me fling a few arrows with his recurve. I immediately caught the fire for instinctive, traditional archery. I want to purchase a recurve to shoot through the winter months to become proficient. Here's the problem, I know virtually nothing a about recurves and most of the shops on my area of Southwest PA don't even carry any trad bows or accessories. I have read through a ton of forums, but am still in need of help getting started would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thinking about taking the plunge into traditional archery
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 11:51:00 AM »
Look above. There is a yellow banner,"new to trad achery?" under the trad gang store. It's a good place to start.
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 11:51:00 AM »
Welcome to the Gang. Finding someone in your area that knows traditional archery would be the best.
Maybe someone from Penn will chime in.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 12:37:00 PM »
In 1989 I sold all the high tech equipment I had, Drawers  full of sight pins, sights, release aids, stabilizers, bows etc etc.

I jumped into a simpler way of doing things with both feet. Bought a Black Widow recurve and never looked back.  I've never had even a remote desire to shoot a compound bow since.  

Take the plunge, you won't regret it.
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 12:41:00 PM »
Glad you are interested!  I'm still fascinated with this end of archery after 40 years-and I'm still learning.  

These guys are right on with their advice.  I would emphasize however that the bow you start with doesn't matter.  Yes it has to be fit your physical needs-dominant eye, length of draw, etc. But almost every beginner needs to spend time with a first bow that doesn't challenge him/her at all.  And shoot it at distances and target that also are no challenge.  At least several hundred arrows from a 25-35# bow-or less-with every one concentrating on achieving some sort of form that you will ingrain. At this stage any shot taken from longer distances or your buddy's hunting bow that he "wants you to try" will work against your instinctive learning.  If you happen to have a good mentor looking over your shoulder, his advice will be helpful.

So, just find or borrow any decent 35# recurve(for example).  I'll loan you one if you want to pay the shipping both ways.  Get some arrows that match....they don't have to be perfect for shots at 10-15 yards.  Shoot inside the basement or barn if the weather is bad, but outside is better.    

If you are alone and going to be "self-taught", that can work too.  I am a fan of Arne Moe(moebow1)and his shooting instruction. He has put out a number of youtube videos.  I instruct even beginning children with his rotational draw technique and it works.  I have not seen any other technique that gets a new archer's back tension and alignment ingrained so quickly.  

I realize you are already an archer, and may not need to start at the beginning.  Since I left the compound in 1976, I am no expert of what it takes to shoot one now.  But, they certainly feel different than a trad bow, and you can develop bad habits if you go too heavy in draw weight too early.  

Enhoy yourself!
Tom

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 12:51:00 PM »
Please, please, please click on to and read the yellow banner "New To Trad Archery". That will give you a ballpark start on things... One-on-one instruction from someone in the know is best... Books, videos, internet are fine places to learn how to shoot... But nothing beats "doing it".

Most important is a light draw weight to start... You said "instinctive" in your post... Well, bright feathers are a good idea when training your mind for shots over 10-15 yards...

You are in for a great ride! The learning curve is a lot of fun! Keep it that way and the rest of your life will always be interesting when it comes to archery.

... mike ...   :archer2:   ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 12:54:00 PM »
If you get everything wrong other than starting with a low enough draw weight you will still have a great time...I will have been in trad mode for 5 years soon and have made lots of mistakes...nothing that could not be fixed though except for various holes in things that really do not belong there...in that time I have owned about 30 bows and maintained an inventory of about 15...getting started was the hard part

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 12:57:00 PM »
And you might get hooked on longbows.  LOL

You might follow the classified ads for awhile to get a feel for cost of bows.  Buy a used one, and if you make a good buy, you can get all or most of your money out when you sell.

Grip is important.  Try to figure out if you would like a higher or lower (or even a straight) grip.

These traditional bows are addictive. Don't be surprised if you end up buying more than one!

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 01:04:00 PM »
Welcome to traditional bowhunting!
Remeber trad bow weights are measured at 28" draw unless otherwise specified. you roughly gain or loos 4 pounds per inch. if you draw 29" you will gain 4 pounds and if oyu draw 27 you will loose 4 pounds. most compound guys loose a inch or 2 of draw lenght when you got a recurve.
 my advise is a 45 pound or 50 pound bow at your draw lenght and shoot the heck out of it. it will not take long for the mucles to build and it feel like a kids bow. Arrows are the most expensive part of the whole ordeal so i recommend a bow wieght that you can use for a long time and for most game. a 45-50 pounder fits taht bill perfectly.
Get a copy of tj conrads book "the tradtional bowhunters handbook" or what ever its called (not at y house right now so dont have the ecat name in front of me) this book will be teach you alot.
 When getting arrows dont buy to many too fast. you need to test them before you get to crazy. so buy 3 arrows based on the recommendations you get and then after a few practice sessions and your form is getting established start bare shaft testing and get the arrows that work best for you and your shooting style. this is accomplished by buying 3 different spine arrows a little longer than you draw and mounting a field tip on them and shooting them without feathers and watching how they fly and impact the traget. then you cut them shoter until you get the extact flight and impact you want. then you have found your perfect arrow. (research bare shaft testing on here for full details and methods). Once this is done you can buy your self a dozen or so arrows and be good to go.
  I also have quite a few podcasts for the beginging traditional bowhunter that will offer some great advise for you. click the link below or find it on itunes "traditional bowhunting and wilderness podcast".

Most of all have fun! nothing is more rewarding than this sport and watchign the arch of an arrow shot out of a wood bow and aimed with your mind.

Its a long road with out any short cuts, but will take you on the journey of a lifetime. where as the compound world is a short road with many shortcuts but only goes so far.

HAve fun. have fun. have fun. have fun.

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 01:13:00 PM »
Also remeber that you are drawn to this sport becasue of the simplicity. so dont get to caught up in all the little stuff yet.
 let your shooting tell you want you need to change and only change something when you know you need to.
Remember its a stick with a string on it. nothing more. dont try to make it more. buy it, match some arrows, keep your bow arm solid, keep your draw elbow inline (not raised up), keep your anochor soild, keep your back tension tight (like trying to hold an egg between your shoulder blades). then relax the draw hand and the arrow is gone. repeat repeat repeat. That is all there is to this.
 dont complicate it until it needs to be complicated and when it needs to be complicated take a step back and remeber its not complicated.

Offline D.J. Carr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 01:25:00 PM »
If your like the rest of us, LIFE HAS CHANGED AS YOU KNOW IT!
An archer tries to find ways to shoot further more accurately, a bowhunter tries to get as close as possible to ensure his shot is accurate.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 01:40:00 PM »
Welcome aboard, sage vice above, enjoy the ride.

Recommend buying a bow from the classifieds here, if you choose an ILF riser then upgrading limbs or upping poundage is cheaper later.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 01:59:00 PM »
:wavey:
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2013, 03:24:00 PM »
All good advice above, i might add a couple  things....

Keep in mind the form you use to be a good archer using a compound bow is basically the same with a traditional bow, except it takes a lot more conditioning and practice to become consistent. It can become frustrating at times, but it's well worth the efforts you put into it once things start "Becoming" instinctive.

Getting someone to help you develop good form is a really wise thing to do if you can. You can do the "self taught" routine, but you'll find yourself developing bad habits that you'll have to change later on in the game.

I think a good rule of thumb would be go 20 pounds lighter than what you were shooting using wheels to start out with. But if you were shooting 80 pounds with a let off,i'd still drop to 45-50#'s to get going.

Good luck brutha!  Keep it fun. It's a great adventure you are starting.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2013, 04:00:00 PM »
I was shooting 60# on my compound and I found 45#; actually 48 with my draw length, to be no problem. I can hold it plenty long enough to make the shot, repeatedly.
SWA Spyder

Offline ARriverdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2013, 04:34:00 PM »
Good luck it is as you said a plunge.
10,000x worse of an obsession than my wheel bow ever was or is.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2013, 04:42:00 PM »
Glad to hear you are interested in developing a brand new addiction. Trad is a lot of fun, and many of the guys on this forum will bend over backwards to help you get started. Let the adventure begin!
Sam

Offline arrowbuster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2013, 06:37:00 PM »
I was a compound hunter for over 24 years and I knew there was something missing to bowhunting. I picked up my first trad bow and knew exactly what it was. There is nothing like hunting with trad equipment. I killed a doe this year and after the shot I was shaking like I shot a booner. This is the essence of bowhunting. I had gotten where just harvesting a deer was not enough it had to be a py or it wasn't worthy. Let me tell you, any deer taken with trad equipment is a trophy and it will be something you remember the rest of your life. So here is my advice to you, go for it and never look back. Most importantly pick a spot or you will have a lot of misses like I did. After you get that in your head it is a lot easaier.
AH ACS CX 60" 53@28
PITTSLEY PREDATOR 60" 56@28
CASCADE BRUSH HAWK 56" 49@28

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2013, 07:11:00 PM »
Join in.  I sold my compound to get a pair of custom knives made to match my trusty longbow.  It was one of the best decisions I've made.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2013, 08:31:00 PM »
You have been great advice. That's a great thing about Tradgang. You may what to see if anyone from here is near you. Welcome to the gang!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©