3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Have you ever....  (Read 386 times)

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
Have you ever....
« on: December 27, 2013, 12:26:00 AM »
Have you ever sold something you really liked to fund a hunt?  I am selling my favorite gun to pay for the deposit on a moose hunt with my dad.  Feeling a little bummed out but I had to put my big boy pants on and do what is right for my family instead of robbing our emergency fund.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Have you ever....
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 12:29:00 AM »
Nope.  Never paid for a hunt.

But I did sell a sailboat to buy a house with 20 acres.    :archer:
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 12:31:00 AM »
If I could hunt moose another way I would.
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 12:36:00 AM »
I have done it. I always ask myself "do I really need this item or can I sell it and not miss it".
I also have made it a point to never dip into the emergency fund to pay for archery related stuff or anything else. If I don't have something that I can sell I just keep saving. Maybe do some extra work etc.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 01:08:00 AM »
Sold an elk rack once to finance a mule deer/elk hunt in Idaho (not guided).  Didn't get either critter but would do it again in a second.  I'd much rather be making the new memories then dwelling on the past.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 05:55:00 AM »
Yes, yearly.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 06:24:00 AM »
Time spent on a hunt with your dad is priceless, don't hesitate!!!!

This is a general statement not meant for anyone in particular....

I've never understood how some folks will complain about never getting to go away on a hunt, but they own 30 bows....and they don't shoot the majority of them!  

While I'm at it....I really don't understand why guys make it seem like there's something wrong with paying for a hunt!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 06:58:00 AM »
My experience is before something new comes in something old hits the road. Would not hesitate selling something to hunt with my dad-if he was still with us. The memories you will make on the hunt far outweigh any weapon and once made can't be sold. Won't hit family funds to buy anything, just my priority.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 07:20:00 AM »
I have sold many things to finance hunts.  In my book it is all about the adventure and the adventure is more important to me than the things.  In my early 30s I sold a number of firearms and took out a loan to go on a grizzly hunt with my brother.  One of the best things I ever did.  We created memories we talk about 25 years later.

I am selling a bunch of bows and firearms right now to help finance a piece of property that will be the hunting camp for my family & friends.  I am doing it gladly.  Many memories will be made there.

D.P.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 07:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by Guru:
Time spent on a hunt with your dad is priceless, don't hesitate!!!!

This is a general statement not meant for anyone in particular....

I've never understood how some folks will complain about never getting to go away on a hunt, but they own 30 bows....and they don't shoot the majority of them!  

While I'm at it....I really don't understand why guys make it seem like there's something wrong with paying for a hunt!
X2 well said.
Tom

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 07:32:00 AM »
Yep!  Stuff is stuff and stays here on earth. Memories are the only thing you can take with you when you die.

Hunts cost money and it doesn't necessarily mean it's a fully guided hunt. I've been to Alaska on DIY hunts many times and trust me they cost money.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 07:45:00 AM »
Walt Francis...Dave Pagel...IndianaBowman...

Absolutely! Memories don't need tangible objects. The 'doing' is far more important than the 'done'. My finest weapons are simply tools and I've never allowed myself to value an inanimate object more than another memory made.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 07:50:00 AM »
Tim,one thing I learned long ago is to focus on what I have left...I had 17 guns at one time and am now down to about a half dozen...my favourite is one my dad, who now has dementia, stocked for me

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Ibow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 08:00:00 AM »
Yeah, kind of. When I was a teenager I sold a Marlin 30-30 lever action rifle. I don't remember what model it was but it was a pretty fancy gun. I bought it with press route & lawn cutting money and I was really proud of it. I sold it to buy my first Black Widow recurve and while I haven't gun hunted in more than 30 years, I kind of wish I had kept that gun.

I've bought and sold a ton of bows since that time but never regretted any of those transactions. It's probably not so much the gun - probably because it was one of the first things I worked really hard for to buy and I was so proud of it.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2013, 08:15:00 AM »
Yep, last January I sold several items to pay the deposit for my first (and only?) moose hunt. The hunt was supposed to happen the first week of October (2013) but a cancer set-back for my hunting buddy post-poned the trip until same time (God willing), 2014.

I don't miss the stuff I sold but a couple were very nice recurves. One was a 1 of 4 ever made Bear Custom Kodiak TD.

Oh, and if a near-miracle occurs and I draw a MT Bighorn sheep tag in May I'll be selling a half-dozen more bows. I only "need" 2.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2013, 08:27:00 AM »
I would never hesitate to sell something if that is what it took for a new adventure. Especially one that involved family or good friends.  When I look back at the great hunts I had it not about what gun or bow I was using but rather who I shared the experience with.  I drew a Unit 2 Colorado archery Elk tag two years ago that took me 21 years to draw.  My buddy could not make it so I went alone for 14 days.  Was lucky to kill a 377" bull and the trip was very good.  But to be honest I will never go on a solo trip again. 4 days to CO 14 days hunting and 4 days back.  A long time and no one to share the memories.  That trip taught me a lot.
T ZZZZ

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2013, 08:31:00 AM »
I'm bad about keeping stuff I don't need, but I'm working on getting better at it.  I look at these people who are a part of the small house movement (like less than 150 square feet!) and I am envious.  I'm working hard on the buying less end of the spectrum.  I just need to work on the getting rid of stuff side.

I would sell a bunch of stuff to fund an epic hunt though.  Time is as scarce as money though in making those big hunts happen.  I have a hard time getting extended time off during most seasons.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2013, 08:41:00 AM »
No, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't.  I have done it to pay for a family vacation when our kids were younger.
Jim

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2013, 10:23:00 AM »
Well, I hope it sells fast.  Rip the Band-Aid off kind of deal.
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2013, 10:43:00 AM »
No. Every time I sell off something, I later regret it. I save up until I can afford what I want.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©