3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: too aggressive-too much desires  (Read 440 times)

Offline bowfanatik

• Trad Bowhunter
too aggressive-too much desires
« on: December 27, 2013, 02:54:00 PM »
For two years, I'm going to bowhunting. I missed, fox, rabbit, pheasant, wild boar bad shot (gone and survived), missed the buck ! All this happened because I was too excited and I did not  respected one of the main rules >>>---> pick a spot!

But what I want to say is next, whenever I went in hunting with a huge desire to hunt  something with attitude "Today I will surely kill wild animal" did not see anything. No matter what I was playing with the wind, was as quiet as ghost and all  necessary things ........
Not even squirrel I have not seen!

But whenever I walked into the woods, with an attitude like that I'm going to pick mushrooms. Sitting on a stump and enjoying in the silence, I saw so many animals that would have been stunned.
Aggressive hunter and full of desires to kill emanates energy that scares off all animals. Or maybe our hormones work and drop the scents that for animals means that they should disappear from the area .
From now on I will try to go hunting as in collecting the fruits of nature. What you think and what are your experiences
    :campfire:
PerunH 60"

Shoot a lot and keep it simple

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: too aggressive-too much desires
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 03:05:00 PM »
It definitely seems like the hunt comes together when you are least expecting it.  It's still important to be quiet, play the wind, be camoflagued in, etc but you definitely need luck on your side.

Some of my best hunts were ones where I had to force myself to go due to whatever thing was pressing at the time.  I've also found that mid day during the rut to be an awesome time to be in the woods.
>>>--------->

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 03:30:00 PM »
I believe the mental game is huge in hunting. Let the emotions happen after the shot. Never before. When I first started bowhunting I talked myself out of a lot of whet should have been easy kills. I stopped listening to that loser and now just think of the animal as a target.

God bless, Steve

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 06:21:00 PM »
I think the more relaxed you are the less you move different body parts. Also the more you move around the less likely you will hear an animal coming.

I can't count the amount of times I have been on stand and get so relaxed that I start thinking of other things and BAM. Look down and there is a deer.
PBS  Member

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 06:51:00 PM »
I think you're on the right track.  I wish you the best of luck.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 08:00:00 PM »
I definately agree. Too much pressure to succeed, intensity, gives off some bad mojo. Sometimes I think that critters can sense our intentions. Things seem to come together better when I'm relaxed and expectations are lower.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 09:57:00 PM »
You should be relaxed, and enjoying everything that is going on around you. Don't get me wrong we hunt for meat !, but it's real nice to be able to smell the roses along the way, and if you don't have a completely successful day, you get to do it all over again.

Good luck.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
There is some energy emitted from all animals..humans included.  

If you are thinking about killing.... you will be figured out..IMHO.

I have been known to lie to myself and deer...lol

I can remember telling myself over and over .."I will not kill a deer today!"

Then as I come to anchor I let it slip... sorry deer, I lied.

Just check it out for yourself.. sit anywhere there are a lot og people and pick out a few to dwell on.. there's a good chance you'll get "made".

Write this off to being said by the "crazy man" or maybe not so much...lol

Happy New Year and God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 10:49:00 PM »
When it happens its magic keep trying focus is the key I don't remember anything about the shot auto pilot lol good luck
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 11:21:00 PM »
Interesting topic. I was told by a biologist years ago that he thought humans put off a specific scent when in predatory mode.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 11:49:00 PM »
I agree as well. A walk to stump shoot usually results in all kinds of animal encounters. A stalk usually results in nothing but a slow walk  :)  

When I am most relaxed or when I am hunting with the expectations of a slow day, then it usually happens!
Mike Davenport

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 07:58:00 AM »
Hunting without an agenda is far more rewarding.  hope you connect  :thumbsup:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2013, 10:07:00 AM »
There was a Native American tribe in our Pacific Northwest, (sorry, don't recall the name), that wouldn't ever refer to "hunting" because they believed the animals would sense their intent.  They would "go for a walk", and just happen to carry their bows along!
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2013, 10:36:00 AM »
All of these experiences are just part of hunting. I don't know if game can actually perceive our intentions or not, but sometimes it sure seems that they can. Just continue to hunt diligently. The discipline to remain calm and pick the spot is a skill to be learned over time just the same as basic shooting form.
Sam

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, 11:02:00 AM »
Exactly right. Too many forget the entire experience that is the hunt.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2013, 01:36:00 PM »
Milan,   what you are seeing and doing is very often experienced by archers, bowhunters.  You need to slow down and pick a spot.  You know this from target shooting.  But we all get excited.  Folks that never hunted have no clue.  

There is a physiological response we have when we are ready to take a critter's life and we actually have a weapon in hand.  A camera won't do this.  Not actually wanting to kill something, even with a bow in hand, will also not produce this.  It is likely related to fight or flight responses.

One of the unfortunate responses is acting on "auto pilot", forgetting much of your mantra and rules of shooting.  This is why it is so important to do a couple things.  First, ingrain the shot sequence so there is no need for thought, you always do (this).

Second,  practice seeing critters up close.  Go hunting, go hiking, go to a museum.  Every time you see a critter, be it a dog, a cat, a deer, an elephant, go thru a sequence.  Assess if it is a shooter and then pick a spot(even though it isn't).  

Tell yourself where to aim, and why, then focus on it.  Wait for a broadside or slightly quartering away posture, Wait for the animal to exhibit signs of being at ease, not stiff and ready to dodge the arrow.  Wait for the leg to move forward.  Then say "bam !" or whatever you want to say to represent a release.

Do this all the time and it gets a bit easier to do when the time comes.  Then, go out as often as you can and shoot some.  That practice is needed as well.

Good luck and try to be less aggressive.  Enjoy yourself and what you are doing.  That is a big part of the game as well as a kill, maybe even bigger.

ChuckC

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2013, 01:42:00 PM »
No disrespect intended and of course I can't prove my belief, but I don't accept that any senses other than sight, scent, and sound are possible by the game we hunt.

Of course it is possible that our Creator has instilled such an ability in the beasts, maybe even in us. He certainly has imbued living creatures with countless other unimaginable and unexplainable "miracles".  

Far too many animals are killed every year by highly excited bow hunters for me too believe some type of psychic energy was being emanated and then ignored by the target critter.

I will admit I try to avoid eye contact with critters that are within spitting distance. I think they can see me blink (when inside of 10 yards). I KNOW that I become more unraveled the longer I look at an intended target.(Maybe I move my lips in a way deer can see when I pray not to be discovered and to execute my shot properly.)

I enjoy behaving like the predator that I am when packing my hunting bow. If such behavior causes my quarry to behave more prey-like then both of us are acting naturally. The "threat" of being discovered before I can take a shot is a huge part of the hunt for me.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2013, 02:24:00 PM »
Perfect.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2013, 07:51:00 PM »
I agree... no psychic energy but I do believe that body energy is emitted from all critters including us.

Heat and scent are a part of that but I don't think it's only heat and scent that we put out.

Can I prove it..nope but I have felt it when someone approaches unknown to my other senses or when someone is looking hard my way.

None of us have to agree on this for sure.  

I've always thought that is was kind of cool.

Happy New Year and God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2013, 08:18:00 PM »
Our senses such as sight, hearing and sense of smell, as well as quickness, are far inferior to the game we may pursue.  Our advance minds have enabled us to absorb experiences of others, scout, strategize and hunt effectively.

Immerse oneself within all the elements of the hunt , then a more consistent harvest may be gathered.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©