3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Better/safer way to string a bow?  (Read 798 times)

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
Better/safer way to string a bow?
« on: December 27, 2013, 09:46:00 PM »
I'm laying flat on my back as I write this… which is where I have been for the past 24 hours.  Yesterday I was about to meet some buddies for a trad squirrel hunt.  My low back, which has given me lots of problems over the years, was a little tight but nothing major.  I went to string my bow with my stringer… a Thunderhorn Superstringer.  While pulling up, the rubber pad started slipping up the limb… I reached a little further out to stop it… further extending out and wham!  I pulled my back out bad… dropped me to the floor, literally.  
It was stupid mistake.  I should have been extra careful knowing that my back was already tight.  But it happened and I want to avoid that position in the future.  I'm wondering about a better method of stringing my bow that won't require me to bend over and pull up.  I've seen old timers just brace the bottom limb with their foot, pull the riser while pushing the top limb, sliding the string on.  Is this hard on the bow?  How do you guys with lower back issues string your bow?
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Better/safer way to string a bow?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 09:51:00 PM »
I don't use a stringer, but I shoot longbows.

I use a step through

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »
If it will work with a particular bow I find the Webster stringer to be the easiest on the back because I can get away with using one foot on the web and thereby keep my back straighter...I know a lot of people who string their Hill style bows using the push/pull method...not sure if that is easier on the back

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 10:06:00 PM »
Get a stringer with a pocket on each end so there can be no slipping.

I use a stringer if I an stringing a recurve or a very long longbow.. 70 inches or longer.

My longbows are 68" and under so the push pull method works best for me.

Find something that will work for you...safely!!

BTW if I am using a stringer I put both feet on the stringer with them being about a shoulder width apart.

God bless and Happy New Year, Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 10:54:00 PM »
I spread my feet then lift with my legs, and try not to bend over at the waist. Spreading my legs allows me to bend at the knees and then just by straightening  my legs I get enough bend in the limbs to brace the bow. I never could get the push pull method to work for me but, I am coordination challenged anyway.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 10:58:00 PM »
We have not used that style stringer for years. My wife almost lost an eye and I got hit in the head once by a limb when the rubber thing slipped.
We use the Black Widow stringer. Only limbs I have to watch is my Bear limbs by Rose Oak. The tips are large so I have to be careful the tip is settled into the pocket.
Like Mudd says use both feet and lift with your legs. I had back issues for years and this method kept me from pain.

Offline Daniel G. Banting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 10:59:00 PM »
Most all of my bows have been strung their entire life. There is really no need to unstring a modern laminated bow. As a matter of fact I seem to remember Black Widow recommending NOT unstringing it if it was shot regularly.

Should you chose to string and unstring I think the easiest way to do it is with two lag bolts in a post. One at the curve of your limbs the other at the grip. Pad the bolts with water hose or something similar. I use one of these when I put new strings on any of my static recurves as I don't trust the tip to tip style.

Dan
If I keep my level of appreciation higher than my level of expectation, I have a good day.
Ray Wiley Hubbard

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 11:51:00 PM »
In our local club everybody used the push pull method for years. I once saw a friend get a large gash above his eye using this method. He thought the string was in both string grooves and it wasn't so as soon as he let pressure off it unstrung and the upper limb nailed him.

Also had a friend that used this method for over 20 years. His bow slipped from underneath his anchor foot and unstrung splitting the fiberglass from the limb.

I myself had the same thing happen as the second one above except it twisted the limb instead of breaking it.We all use stringers now like Mudd states I have used the Black Widow stringer with pockets on both ends for the last 15 years.
PBS  Member

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 12:20:00 AM »
Work on your core. I too have had lower strains while not fun. I have started to listen to the dr's advice. I know what you mean by dropping to the floor.
I love Bow Hunting

Offline riddleofsteel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 12:28:00 AM »
We use and sell Bateman stringers. I teach all my students to use a stringer and sell one with every new bow setup.
Samick Red Stag TD 40LB
Hummingbird Bowie TD 45LB
Howard Hill Big Five 50LB

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 12:49:00 AM »
Tie a longer string on your stringer.  Parachute cord works.  I only use the selway cup and block stringers on my recurve.  Won't touch a tip to tip.  I shoot a 3 piece longbow these days so no stringer.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 12:49:00 AM »
Tie a longer string on your stringer.  Parachute cord works.  I only use the selway cup and block stringers on my recurve.  Won't touch a tip to tip.  I shoot a 3 piece longbow these days so no stringer.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2013, 07:25:00 AM »
The push/pull method IS hard on the back.  A wall mounted stringer is probably the best, back-wise.  As for the rubber block on a stringer, I've not had a problem with it slipping.  Maybe because my bow is on 54".  By default, that makes my stringer cord "long", so I'm guessing that a longer cord makes a difference.  Using two feet on the cord also makes the angle of the stringer cord to the bow limb closer to 90 degrees and that would also aid in preventing the rubber block from slipping.  As for keeping it strung forever....no problem bow-wise for a glass laminated bow but, in Michigan it is illegal to have a strung bow in your car unless it is cased.  As I have no case that will fit my strung recurve and the bow is generally with me in the car (who knows when a shooting opportunity will present itself), I always unstring it when I'm done shooting.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2013, 07:52:00 AM »
Sorry about you back, I hope you feel better soon.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, 08:02:00 AM »
I have a string tied up in the roof of my bow room. That way you can stand upright and pull down. Works great. Simply tie the center of the stringer to something high.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Bob Walker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2013, 08:07:00 AM »
What Mudd said.....Cup or pocket on each end
Philippians 4:13

TGMM - Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Bob Walker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2013, 08:08:00 AM »
What Mudd said X2.      Pocket on each end like a Black Widow stringer.
Philippians 4:13

TGMM - Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2013, 08:22:00 AM »
I'm with MUDD.  Cup style stringer.
T ZZZZ

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2013, 09:57:00 AM »
Sorry to hear about your back. I use the Thunderhorn Superstringer for a year now and I think it is the best I ever used. Just follow the instructions from Thunderhorn.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2013, 10:43:00 AM »
[/URL]

Here is a pic of a fixed stringer similar to the one mentioned above using boat rollers for a cushion.

Easy to use. I normally use the push pull method on my wood long bows but when stringing an dun stringing many times a hour I use this.

Works great on recurves.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©