3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Now I am confused  (Read 849 times)

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Now I am confused
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2013, 04:22:00 PM »
heavy and fast set up too
Mike

Offline ghoster808

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2013, 11:43:00 PM »
Seems to me that if you go the light/fast route you better make sure the bow and arrow combination is tuned to the nth and you are getting dartlike bare shaft flight.
"Till The Wheels Fall Off"

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2014, 05:20:00 PM »
I thought the videos were well presented. all 3 arrows were moderate weight compared to many of the "light" arrows used the last 20 years by high tech guys. Context is essential to understanding - in his world with a light bow and critical attention to tuning he may do well with a light arrow. We use bows that we are comfortable using for moose elk big bears and big hogs as well as deer so our arrow weights are 650 to 1200 grains - so the study has nothing to do with my approach to bowhunting but I did enjoy the video and can appreciate his effort.
Interesting to see though that of the 3 only 1 would be best and 2 at best acceptable - at that range of shooting my arrows hit each other in the target - not all over by inches - which brings up another whole round of exploring. There is a perfect balance for a hunting arrow which I have developed many - and in my opinion watching the accuracy I would take ONE of those and tune further to get that perfect arrow and try to avoid being distracted by the different weights.
<><
<-----------------<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2014, 06:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by gringol:
Sometimes it's best to ignore the internet.  This post being the exception.    :)  
more like the "example!"

IMO  and it is an opinion---well presented pseudo science is still pseudo science
and sure 349 g may not seem light to a c-bow shooter--but this guy is NOT shooting a c-bow
 and this is the context I believe it should be understood in

sure he did expend a fair amount of energy in producing this--but certainly with an agenda too"prove"---that adgenda IMO was to make shooting an extremely light [7.27 gpp]at big game seem ok

now I know this horse has been long dead and beaten repeatedly !!this  movie has been around for some time!!
 the problem with it IMO is it keeps resurfacing and messing with peoples minds--the fellow who started this thread took the time to tune and set up what sounds like an above average rig that he should never doubt--but this film on the surface "seems like science"
 me-i'll trust my physics teacher and my own experience

and as for his shooting being all over the place--I have to believe he was spreading the shots out to save testing medium! i hear he's no slouch!!
Mike

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2014, 06:36:00 PM »
for the very most part, that kind of thinking - fast bows and uber light arrows - does a huge disservice to trad bowhunting ... as evidenced by this thread's topic starter.  

the vast majority of trad bowhunters are not at all like this guy advocating light and fast.  

by all means, if this strikes yer fancy, experiment away, but do be careful!  

else, stick to the basics that have worked for many decades for very dedicated trad bowhunters.  

there are far more and better reasons for "heavy and slow" than light and fast.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline ghoster808

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2014, 03:02:00 PM »
Seems to me that if you go the light/fast route you better make sure the bow and arrow combination is tuned to the nth and you are getting dartlike bare shaft flight.

Offline bowfanatik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2014, 03:58:00 PM »
No ,no gentleman's , my setup is dangerous ! I killing tennis ball from 30 meters ,now i need to kill some deer  and i am happy as a  pig in mud    :biglaugh:

660 grain , 300 grain on front .....bow on my draw length 60 pound , so i am fine
PerunH 60"

Shoot a lot and keep it simple

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2014, 06:04:00 PM »
Thank God you cleared this up...too much to ingest. This was getting way too technical for my liking. I thought we would need an Astrolger or Professor of Science to clear this up.....   :laughing:    :dunno:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2014, 12:19:00 AM »
If you look at 2:55 on 2 of 2 you can see the lightest arrow had a much different shaped tip.  

Finer point and different slope.

I'd need to see cut-on-contact broadheads in some medium before I went all ga-ga.  

I like 560 to 620 gr wood arrows with 125 gr broadheads.  They come out the backside of my local whitetails.  Don't know the speed but fast enough.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2014, 09:04:00 AM »
Joe. . .   THAT'S what I have been missing.  My Astrologer.   When making arrows, one must choose a very auspicious day for correct flight to be ensured.

Chuckc

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2014, 01:31:00 PM »
Chuck,
They call it the mystical flight of the arrow for a reason! Lol.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Fastltz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2014, 08:27:00 PM »
http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=000419
Found this in the dangerous game page. Seems right.
1 Peter 3:15 ...always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.

Offline ghoster808

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2014, 02:03:00 PM »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©