3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you store your hunting clothes?  (Read 585 times)

Online Dry Creek

• Trad Bowhunter
How do you store your hunting clothes?
« on: December 28, 2013, 09:26:00 PM »
I keep my hunting clothes in a Hunters Specialties bag with double zippers. The zipper on the bag messed up yesterday morning. Wondering how you store your hunting clothes, before I buy another bag.
58" Bear Super Grizzly  45@28
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw 45@30

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you store your hunting clothes?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »
I keep a couple days supply in a large tupperware tote, in the back of my truck.  I used to be religious about using the bags and stopped doing that long ago.  I dress behind my truck at the trail head, carry in the outers for once I get to my stand.

ChuckC

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dry Creek:
I keep my hunting clothes in a Hunters Specialties bag with double zippers. The zipper on the bag messed up yesterday morning. Wondering how you store your hunting clothes, before I buy another bag.
If that is the big green scent free bag, that is the same way I store my clothes. I have 3 of those bags, and on 2 of them, the outer zipper is broken. I got a LOT of use out of them before the zippers went bad, so I don't worry about it. I will replace them sometime with new ones, but don't really worry about it cause the inner zipper is still good.

Bisch

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 09:38:00 PM »
I use one of those scent lock totes , not so much for the scent lock as the secure lid latches and seal.
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 09:45:00 PM »
I do the same thing that you and bisch do, I have had my green H.S. bags for years and they are still going strong!

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 09:50:00 PM »
I've used about everything, and I like the big dry bags from Sierra Trading Post about the best these days.  I can keep several changes of clothes and my boots in there.  It's all in one place and ready to go when I am.  Like Chuck, I change at the truck, it's a pain when the weather gets cold, but worth it.  Those dry bags are cheap and a lot easier to transport than totes.  Ones mans opinion.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 09:53:00 PM »
Closet.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 10:02:00 PM »
I hang them in a closet and don't worry about it. Critters upwind of me have no idea I'm there.  :)
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Online Dry Creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 10:30:00 PM »
Thanks guys
The inner zipper is the one that broke but the outside zipper is still good. May just keep using it for now.
58" Bear Super Grizzly  45@28
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw 45@30

Offline TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 10:39:00 PM »
I try to keep them in a bag or plastic container . The deer I hunt smell all kind of scents like diesel, gas, oil, ect.
The one thing I dont want them to smell is my human body odor. I wash em in bakin soda and I try to stay as clean as possible, and work the wind.

Offline Matthew Bolton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 10:47:00 PM »
Cold weather gear stays in a plastic tub outside and warmer weather gear sits in my closet.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 11:22:00 PM »
The moment you touch or put on your clothes they smell like. . . you- a human.  Never going to stop that.  

I put them in a large clear plastic tote boxes with the latch lids.  Keeps things organized.  No need to spend $$ on special bags. If you do want clothes to smell fresh to you (a human nose!), pour baking soda in with the clothes.  Shake them off when you go to wear them and they smell amazingly fresh.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 12:16:00 AM »
Nothing really special about the green bags. But they are convenient, they are pretty darn durable, and they hold scent in well. I like to wash my clothes with scent free detergent then throw them in the bags with a couple "fresh-earth" scent wafers. Like others have said you still need to play the wind. Doing this with your clothes may not be necessary but it puts my mind at ease a little when i smell like a dirt ball in the woods! I also just like the smell of the scent wafers, reminds me of hunting season    :D    :D

Offline FoCoBlackWidow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 02:14:00 AM »
After washing with baking soda I usually put my clothes in a waterproof compression sack so I'm ready for my next trip. I store those inside a big Rubbermaid tote with some other gear and the combination seems to work fine.
FoCoBlackWidow

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 02:21:00 AM »
I just throw mine in plastic bins. one for hats, gloves, rain gear etc. one for wool, one for tops, one for bottoms, and one for thermals.
Then just throw them in the rafters of my garage. they spend all year up there in car exahust, quad exaust, heads being boiled, traps boiled, lawnmower fumes, kerosne heater running, etc. (point being i dont worry about protecting them until i need them) Then i take out what i need and wash it and hunt in it. What i wash stays in a bin in the house for the season then goes back in the garage.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2013, 02:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by LB_hntr:
I just throw mine in plastic bins. one for hats, gloves, rain gear etc. one for wool, one for tops, one for bottoms, and one for thermals.
Then just throw them in the rafters of my garage. they spend all year up there in car exahust, quad exaust, heads being boiled, traps boiled, lawnmower fumes, kerosne heater running, etc. (point being i dont worry about protecting them until i need them) Then i take out what i need and wash it and hunt in it. What i wash stays in a bin in the house for the season then goes back in the garage.
That is pretty close to what I do.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2013, 06:27:00 AM »
Store in large plastic containers, wash with scent free detergent just before season and then stick some cedar branches and leaves in with the clothing a week or two before season.

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2013, 08:10:00 AM »
plastic bins with snap latches in my hunting stuff closet. my bows are in there too.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2013, 08:46:00 AM »
Plano hinged tote boxes.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2013, 10:56:00 AM »
Mostly, the closet. Wool stuff is kept in a cedar chest. Once you put on clothes, they smell like a human. Even if the clothes themselves have no odor, the human body will immediately give you away. I rely on hunting the wind. While I don't knock any efforts to keep clothes odorless, I just don't think it affects what a deer smells in the woods.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©