3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bitzenberger/Fletching  (Read 421 times)

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
Bitzenberger/Fletching
« on: December 28, 2013, 11:39:00 PM »
Just got a BITZ. When I put a feather in the clamp and tried to lay it on the arrow..I noticed something. The midsection of the quill does not touch the arrow,the ends do..not the middle. So..is this a matter of adjustment,cause I cant seem to find a spot where it touches from one end to the other. Any ideas why this is?

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bitzenberger/Fletching
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 11:47:00 PM »
Which clamp are you using?  I uses the helical clamps and you have to adjust them for the arrow diameter.  If you have trouble call them.  The bitz is made in MI by great people.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 11:54:00 PM »
right wing helical,,and it says in the instructions that there is NO ADJUSTMENT on HELICAL CLAMPS

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 12:01:00 AM »
I've always had this problem. There are 2 adjustment knobs on your jig. They PIVOT the jig left and right. Put a feather in the clamp put an arrow in. Listen the Allen bolts and then rotate the knobs. You'll see it move on the shaft. Once you have it in place where it should be tighten the bolts back.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 12:10:00 AM »
What Matty said. Once you set the clamp to the shaft diameter you may still have to run a knife blade down the quill to make sure the feather is resting on the shaft completely. I use the back side of my scalpel blade.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 12:38:00 AM »
Another tip. Do not press the feather all the way in. Leave 1/16" of space between the quill and clamp.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 01:26:00 AM »
ok,,well after seeing these responses,,then I have to conclude that there is no way to get it to lay right without some manipulation.

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 01:55:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bear Heart:
Another tip. Do not press the feather all the way in. Leave 1/16" of space between the quill and clamp.
Seems to be a pain in the butt  to do that. Being the feather is curved,it gives me trouble getting it in the clamp without lots of pushing and pulling etc..have I mentioned I hate fletching arrows?

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 07:45:00 AM »
Another option is to file the clamps to the contour of the shaft. Go slowly, filing the contact point/points down and put the clamp back on the shaft often to check your progress. A small light shined on the backside of the clamp helps when you get close. I have one clamp filed to fit MFX/Axis skinny shafts and one for 11/32" wood which is all I shoot anymore. The aluminum clamps file down quite easily and if you check as you go you won't have any trouble.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 08:06:00 AM »
I've always had to adjust for shaft diameter. The only thing I could think of your instructions might be refering to is my model has zero hash marks in the center of the adjustment range, with +/- being left/right)of the marks.  Maybe it's referring to lining them both up at dead zero. I find my feathers feed into the clamp best by barely opening the jaws and sliding the leading edge into the back of the clamp while pushing the trailing edge of the quill and using the index finger to keep it flat against the quill.  You can run your thumb and index fingernails between the quill and the clamp jaws along the full length after its inserted if you want it sticking out.  I prefer mine flush.  It gets easier with practice.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Drewster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 08:56:00 AM »
Yep, Matty has it figured out.  It was a little frustrating at first until I figured out how to do it but now it's fairly easy to adjust.  Once you get the clamp at the correct angle to match the radius of the shaft you are using, things work fine. Keep working with it.  You'll get it.
Carolina Traditional Archers
North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline Dog Walker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 09:02:00 AM »
That's what I do too.
Cari-Bow Tuktu Ex 55#@28"
TT Pinnacle II 55#@28"

Offline wjg686

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 09:23:00 AM »
Adjusting the angle will get contact along the entire length of the fletch. I had much frustration getting the fletch into the clamp until I simply opened the clamp wide -- MAGIC!
Bill

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 09:31:00 AM »
Bitz is the gold standard for fletching jigs. I've been using them since 1975. I've been through two--I just lost my second one. I'll be buying another soon.

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 09:44:00 AM »
They can be frustrating if you jump around between shaft sizes. I've been there. But if you normally stick with one, it'll be alright.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline longstiks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2013, 09:51:00 AM »
For a R helical start with the top knob all the way to the right and the bottom one all the way to the left and work in slowly from there till you hit the sweet spot and the whole quill sits on the shaft
Denny

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2013, 11:32:00 AM »
Originally posted by Scattergun2570:

Seems to be a pain in the butt  to do that. Being the feather is curved,it gives me trouble getting it in the clamp without lots of pushing and pulling etc..have I mentioned I hate fletching arrows? [/b]
If you run a straight edge down the clamp you'll see it does have a slight radius out to compensate for the shaft somehow. I'm not a mathematian to figure how but what I do is put my feather in the clamp and align it with my mark at the rear end and pull the quill out about 1/8" so when you put the clamp on the jig and press down the whole quill will settle down on the shaft.

There is a learning curve to fletching so maybe practice some more. The Bitz is a great jig.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2013, 02:50:00 PM »
I've used a Bitz. for a lot of years, and until recently  always had problems with getting the feathers to lay flush on the shaft - UNTILL I tried this suggestion from a fellow trad shooter.
   Flat sand the edge of the clamp so a straight edge WILL lay flat against it. After doing so, all the other adjustments that can be made are SO more meaningful and adequate.
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline Dog Walker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2013, 03:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by iohkus:
I've used a Bitz. for a lot of years, and until recently  always had problems with getting the feathers to lay flush on the shaft - UNTILL I tried this suggestion from a fellow trad shooter.
   Flat sand the edge of the clamp so a straight edge WILL lay flat against it. After doing so, all the other adjustments that can be made are SO more meaningful and adequate.
Do you mean sanding off the bevel edge?  Got a picture for us? Sounds interesting.
Cari-Bow Tuktu Ex 55#@28"
TT Pinnacle II 55#@28"

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2013, 04:28:00 PM »
I must be lucky with mine used it for 20 years on wood, carbon, and aluminum and never had to  adjust anything. Not even when I fletch my 23/64 and then 1/4 grandkids arrows.
PBS  Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©